[scenic/challenge][normal] Many islands

• 28 Replies

Offline sphere

• View Profile
Re: [enviromental/challenge][normal] Many islands
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 15:09:41 »
It makes me return the feeling when I first play the knytt's story. I like most of it, especially that feeling from one island to another, that from dark to daylight. I have been imagining making such a level like this one!

However, the part of end seems a little confused, I can't find a way to get out. You have put some different pictures together, but it's a little inconsonant, isn't it? ;)

Anyway, very good level, congratulations!

Offline Santicol

• Knytt is awesome, and that's all I got to say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 21:58:13 »
Can you add some pictures please? I wanna see the level before I play it.
PC Specs
Processor: AMD A8-3520M (Equivalent to a i5 Intel Core)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
RAM: 5.6 GB

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 21:07:14 »
Sorry for answering so late.
@sphere:
Thank you. If you obtained all keys, it is not necessary to go there. I cannot made myself to abandon this part.
@santicol:
Some pictures are at preview topic.
But here are two more ones just for you:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 17:02:33 by Polana »

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Re: [scenic/challenge][normal] Many islands
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 03:33:20 »
I liked this level. The music really fit the screens, and you are excellent at getting the most out of tilesets. You took tilesets I have never seen used creatively before, and whipped into a gorgeous scene. :)

I do have a few complaints, though.
It was a little annoying being forced to sleep every few areas. I think maybe if it just got too dark to successfully play, or if there were deadly critter infestations, it would have felt a lot more realistic.
It was also a tad annoying that I couldn't back trace without suiciding in a lake, after telling myself I am going the wrong way :P

All in all, though, it was a very enjoyable level.
Dj

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 10:44:07 »
Well, I wanted to create a impression of journey that taken several days.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 22:03:05 »
Wow, Polana, I'm playing this level second time, and... My favourite place is 6:12:
Walkthrough
I'm dreaming about "Many Islands 2".
ETIT: Part 2
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 14:03:55 by ixMarcel »

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 19:08:30 »
Polana, I like your level!  :^^:
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 14:23:43 »
@ ixMarcel:
Thank you for making that video and for liking it so much.
I am not going to make sequel, but i started working on level based on Gustav's daughter and with custom tilesets.
There is not enough things done for preview topic.

@ CWolvie:
Thanks !  :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 19:54:47 »
I've sort of had a quick look around the first four or five islands of this... I *love* it. So, so much. You are excellent at building "living" environments, and you do all the things I appreciate especially about using pre-existing tilesets: combining them in interesting ways, using them creatively, and layering stuff also in the foreground instead of just in the background.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 23:00:58 »
 :oops:
Now I don't know what to write....

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 18:02:01 »
Been playing more of this. Still absolutely love most of the scenery. Getting kind of confused about where to go first, occasionally - which wouldn't be so bad if it was possible to go back and just do an area you missed later; but as far as I can see, that's not possible. I actually went back to the beginning when I first noticed that I had missed at least one area, but missed the right moment to access it again.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 12:38:07 »
Yes, more people who were playing MI see it as major disadvantage. Maybe one day I will make better version...
(But I don't promise anything, I have tons of more important things to do (my exams, thesis, garden etc.) and I am working on another big level).

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 01:46:16 »
Currently really enjoying getting lost in the castle. :-)

It almost makes me think the witch can't be all evil: clearly, having magically assembled so many diverse and beautiful environments in her castle, she appreciates beautiful scenery as much as I do. :D

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 18:50:35 »
I love your music choices, I think they match the scenes perfectly. I liked the sleeping aspect, it did make everything seem longer. It wasn't too hard or too easy.

My only mixed feelings comes from the homage/random level museum at the end. On the one hand, it makes things confusing, and on the other hand if it adds a sense of mystery and infinite worlds-beyond-worlds that the player can never truly explore. I'm also not sure if there was any point to them... was there some reason to go through them all, the dynamite hidden in some random level? If not, that's what I think it needed... a reason to venture into the unknown dimensions to find something you need... and also a secret somewhere to access.

I liked the running joke of the old man trying to find peace. It caught me off guard when he was the "newest resident" who the other Knytts asked you to introduce yourself to.  C)p