'Knytt Underground'

• 53 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
'Knytt Underground'
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:44:51 »
So, this game has a name now. And new screenshots. And it's coming to Windows, Mac, Linux, PS3 and Vita, with the last two getting "unique content".

Big news!

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: 'Knytt Underground'
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:50:58 »
Sweet! Nice to see some news starting to leak out inter the wider web  :^^:
Really difficult to be patient about such a seemingly fantastic game.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 17:18:27 »
ooh, exciting. I wonder how the beta testing for the playstations is gonna be done. :)
and it's really fun to see so many of the plants again that I photographed more than a year ago. X)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 22:41:26 »
Yes, everything is going great. I've got lots of help from my partners resulting in additional content, most of it which'll be available in the desktop versions too. So it have been good for all versions.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 23:40:55 »
this is really amazing stuff! I'm glad to see a nifflas game on the ps3 :)
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:37:48 »
It'll be some mini stories. Think Knytt Stories add on levels not connected to the main storyline. They are pretty nice ones though, but you won't miss out any key elements on the main game and story if you don't play them. Besides, without the additional help and resources I got I wouldn't have been able to make the main game as good anyway so in the end the whole thing has been great for the game.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:44:28 by Nifflas »

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 08:30:34 »
I'm just curious: will the console versions have an editor as well? Not that it matters to me, since I don't have either console.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 13:12:34 »
Congratulations, Nifflas. Really looking forward to this!
Time to update the subforum title, I suppose? :D

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 14:27:18 »
I'm just curious: will the console versions have an editor as well? Not that it matters to me, since I don't have either console.
I'll leave revealing most things about the vita/ps3 versions to my partners. The developer editor I made for myself is not really suitable to be released like this; it is waaaaay complicated. I still have to figure out how I can make it both easy and yet support all advanced features at the same time. It's a big challenge for me. Maybe I'll wait with the editor until the game is already released.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 13:49:49 »
I'll leave revealing most things about the vita/ps3 versions to my partners. The developer editor I made for myself is not really suitable to be released like this; it is waaaaay complicated. I still have to figure out how I can make it both easy and yet support all advanced features at the same time. It's a big challenge for me. Maybe I'll wait with the editor until the game is already released.

I strongly recommend, regardless how easy it turns out to be to make the editor in time, to release it after the game has been released. Give at least a month or so of time for the players to finish the game normally, or they might be so eager to try out the editor that they'll just rush through the game or stop playing halfway. Portal2 did release the level editor after and if they hadn't it would probably have ruined the game. I even dare to say that I'd probably would've played maybe chapter one and two and then try out the editor. (there are 8 chapters)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 14:07:28 »

I strongly recommend, regardless how easy it turns out to be to make the editor in time, to release it after the game has been released. Give at least a month or so of time for the players to finish the game normally, or they might be so eager to try out the editor that they'll just rush through the game or stop playing halfway. Portal2 did release the level editor after and if they hadn't it would probably have ruined the game. I even dare to say that I'd probably would've played maybe chapter one and two and then try out the editor. (there are 8 chapters)

abso-fucking-lutely; I was about to say exactly the same thing...

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 00:40:37 »
Okay, you got me convinced. I better focus on the game only up to the release anyway. I've spent twice as much time on this than on any other game before and I really hope you'll like it as much as I do.

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 05:09:44 »
After I read about Knytt Underground this morning (yup, a bit late) I came to work with a smile  C) . Looking forward for the PC version! (and the PS3 version too).

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 05:41:53 »

abso-fucking-lutely; I was about to say exactly the same thing...

I have the opposite opinion.  When I first played Knytt Stories, I started playing around with the level editor right away, but of course that didn't cause me to stop playing the game itself.  If anything it just made the whole experience of the game feel more interactive and personal.  While playing the game and being amazed by what Nifflas had made, I could simultaneously be inspired about what kind of level I wanted to make.  Thinking about designing levels while playing a really well made level can only lead to people making better levels themselves.

As far as this game goes, I personally was hoping that the level editor would be released during the beta so that I could get a head start on making my level (which I've been planning in my head pretty much since this game was announced) before the actual release of the game.  It would be cool if soon after the release there were already people putting out good levels because they had some time to work on them before the release.

Of course, if Nifflas has more important things to work on up until the release, that's understandable.  But I disagree that he should deliberately avoid releasing the editor in advance for any other reason.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 15:49:55 »
I have the opposite opinion.  When I first played Knytt Stories, I started playing around with the level editor right away, but of course that didn't cause me to stop playing the game itself.  If anything it just made the whole experience of the game feel more interactive and personal.  While playing the game and being amazed by what Nifflas had made, I could simultaneously be inspired about what kind of level I wanted to make.  Thinking about designing levels while playing a really well made level can only lead to people making better levels themselves.

As far as this game goes, I personally was hoping that the level editor would be released during the beta so that I could get a head start on making my level (which I've been planning in my head pretty much since this game was announced) before the actual release of the game.  It would be cool if soon after the release there were already people putting out good levels because they had some time to work on them before the release.

Of course, if Nifflas has more important things to work on up until the release, that's understandable.  But I disagree that he should deliberately avoid releasing the editor in advance for any other reason.
With Knytt Stories, yeah I can see how that might help as this is a different kind of game. But as I've seen a bit of Knytt Underground myself I can tell you this is a different story. The biggest difference between Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground is, that KS has been made about stories, so you have little games that are on their own. It doesn't matter if you play a story then make your own level, then play another story. With KU, the main game is huge. You don't play a little bit, then go edit a level and go play some more, because if you do, you'll loose touch with the game and that'll backfire on you.

I've actually seen the same happen with Portal2. New members who now buy the game have instant access to the level editor and guess what, they're not interested in the portal 2 main game at all. They went on making levels straight away, and one person even admitted openly that he was playing the game because we told him after he was asking silly questions and now he came back with: omg, I was missing out!

So for a player who's really interested in making levels, I can understand that you want the editor as soon as possible, but looking from Nifflas' perspective, he'll make it so that people will miss the great storyline.

I suppose this is similar to games where you have single player and multiplayer, where most gamers will skip single player alltogether and go for multiplayer straight away, and much much later play single player because others say its a great story. The difference here is, that for a level to be good, its a good idea if you have played single player so you can be inspired by the single player and make better levels.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex