• 4 Replies

Offline BeamishBoy

• And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    • View Profile
    • Ball With Hat
Restarting Music
« on: July 19, 2012, 22:47:09 »
Hi, just a quick question -

Is there any way to have music/ambient sound restart when you die? I'm experimenting with spoken narration over a time-based challenge, but when you die and reload in the same room, the audio continues from where it was before. Is there anyway to start the sound file from the beginning besides putting the save point in a different room?

Thanks!
BeamishBoy

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Restarting Music
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 23:56:43 »
No. The only way to do this, is to make sure you don't have the audio played when you respawn, and have enough time to let it fade off, before reaching the room again that plays it.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 03:21:10 »
I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but any solution would likely involve something mad-complex like music-stopping death-activated shifting.

Offline BeamishBoy

• And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    • View Profile
    • Ball With Hat
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 04:51:43 »
I tried using the "Stop Music" function in shifting, but it only temporarily lowers the volume, without triggering a reset.

I'm halfway happy with what I'm using now - the save point is in another room, on top of an instant shift back into the main room. When you die, you return to the side room, where the sound is off, and then teleport to the main room, where it starts over. I'm using an ambient, which doesn't require any time to fade off before resetting from another room. The only problem is a little flickering, but I suppose I should be used to that with any custom object use.

Thanks to LPChip for stopping me from continuing a fruitless effort. Of course, now someone's going to figure out some crazy way and I'll look silly, but never mind that...
BeamishBoy

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 19:38:11 »
I tested three ideas and all of them work.
The first is quite similar to the one you described, the second involves two music tracks and the third is the same as the second but using ambiance. The track is Blah in Progress by Nifflas.
They all sound quite different and have their own advantages/disadvantages.
This is a small example level that demonstrates all three :)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/klxkco

Jump into the spikes, pretty straight forward.
There is a blue/yellow tile indicator at the top of the screen to tell you whether you're in step 1 or step 2 of the music shut off.
Use the level editor to learn each technique if necessary.

Spoiler: original post (click to show/hide)

Happy knytting :)
~Dj
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 21:55:06 by Dj Gopher »