The amazing topic of profanity :)

• 68 Replies

Offline wako-kun

• View Profile
Re: The amazing topic of profanity :)
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 23:50:03 »
Ah. Profanities. How profane.
There are so many things I'd like to say on this topic, and luckily much of this has already been discussed in this thread, so I'll spare you some pain. The phobia of certain words seems to me like a very american phenomena, and I can't say I'm right or wrong here, but my personal opinion is that a word in it self can never be a bad thing. It's all about the context of the word. Now, of course, without this "taboo"-feeling and history, the words wouldn't have such a great impact, so I see that as a partially good thing.

Note: If this thread haven't melted your eyes yet, you are probably safe to open, but I won't promise anything, since I can be quite offensive sometimes. I tried to keep this to a clean level, at least.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I was going to write something smart to contribute to this whole debate on sexism too, but my brain and my fingers are out of fuel now. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to your new projects, as usual.

Offline kritter

• Curly Tree!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 00:21:15 »
I always find excessive profanity (or pseudo-profanity or general negativity) annoying. I mean, why do we use profanity? To express negative feelings. Excess profanity = excess negativity (in my head) = depressing. To me it would detract from the game. End of opinion. 8)

Offline kritter

• Curly Tree!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 00:50:13 »
Random fact: Most of my female friends love to hear and tell sexist jokes that some females find offensive.
Totally unrelated fact: Most of my male friends love to hear and tell sexist jokes that some males find offensive.
The most important thing is to have respect. It's possible to tell sexist jokes (in moderation) and have respect (depending on the situation), and it's possible to religiously/politically/whateverally avoid sexist jokes and be disrespectful.

Offline wako-kun

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 16:26:31 »
I always find excessive profanity (or pseudo-profanity or general negativity) annoying. I mean, why do we use profanity? To express negative feelings. Excess profanity = excess negativity (in my head) = depressing. To me it would detract from the game. End of opinion. 8)

While I get what you're saying, I'll have to disagree to some extent. Profanities just in sake of profanities can feel a bit stale or childish, But used in the right way, it can add realism to dialogues and writing in general. Most people swear from time to time. Sometimes unintentionally, and sometimes small everyday words injected into sentences. And even though swearing don't say much about a character, it can emphasize some minor quirks and tells us a bit about the attitude and background of the person, at least.
On the subject of negativity, I have to disagree as well, in the way that there is a huge gap between fiction and real life. I, for once, enjoyed Lord of the Rings, but I wouldn't like to be in that same situation as the characters in the book. In the same way, I can feel attached to certain characters in different fictions, but I wouldn't like them at all in real life.

I were going somewhere with this post, but I lost track somewhere. I agree with you to some extent, but in many cases, not so much. Note that I'm not trying to convert you, I just felt the need to express my feelings on the matter  :^^:

Offline kritter

• Curly Tree!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:12 »
Thanks for the reply. Please note I was only talking about excessive profanity. (Which certainly is a relative term.)

Offline wako-kun

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2012, 14:08:39 »
Yeah. In some cases it feels more stiff and forced, rather than natural.

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2012, 06:32:50 »
I'm not sure I wanna make words up, it works a bit better when spoken than written. Sod is a bit tricky, in a situation where a character gets totally upset and want to scream out "FUUUUUUUUUCK!!!" it's kinda hard with "sod".

I personally find 'CRAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!' works well as a replacement, and is funnier to boot.
M@

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:57 »
Just a heads up, the game is already in such advanced stage that it will not be modified even if you have this brilliant idea.

These suggestions are for the PS Vita version of the game, and that version already has been locked for changes.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2012, 02:30:15 »
Oh, and it's decided that the vita/ps3 versions are going to be PEGI-16. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:33:03 by Nifflas »