The amazing topic of profanity :)

• 68 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: The amazing topic of profanity :)
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 00:50:14 »
Yeah. Age restrictions is less of a problem on desktops.

Offline Santicol

• Knytt is awesome, and that's all I got to say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 17:40:15 »
Oh, This is sad, I wanted to get the game so much, but the use of swearwords of course doesn't allow me to play the game. (I am 11 years old... 1 year more...)  X)
PC Specs
Processor: AMD A8-3520M (Equivalent to a i5 Intel Core)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
RAM: 5.6 GB

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 02:18:54 »
Oh, ask her to buy it through the website, it won't mention the language since I'm not legally enforced to put that information on my website (I only really care for them when a content delivery system has specific requirements). Often people worry too much about words like "fuck" and "shit" but have no problem with things that are much worse such as sexism and gender stereotypes. From a moral point of view, this game is great. Kids should definitely play this.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:24:40 by Nifflas »

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 04:12:34 »
...You're saying this game is great because profanity isn't as bad as discrimination?

Offline Klämrisk

• I can't even recall why I have this duck anymore..
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 06:24:50 »
I say Nifflas has a good point there.  :)
Audial experimentations (Read: demos)
Crazy metal band I sing and play bass/electric guitar in

"Throwback" - a KS level in progress
I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 09:24:36 »
...You're saying this game is great because profanity isn't as bad as discrimination?

Or because many people (me included) tell him. ;)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:23 »

I think it's a decent argument.

Offline Santicol

• Knytt is awesome, and that's all I got to say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 22:18:25 »
Oh, ask her to buy it through the website, it won't mention the language since I'm not legally enforced to put that information on my website (I only really care for them when a content delivery system has specific requirements). Often people worry too much about words like "fuck" and "shit" but have no problem with things that are much worse such as sexism and gender stereotypes. From a moral point of view, this game is great. Kids should definitely play this.

Oh well, ok, I am mostly gonna get the game, you see, my favorite series of games you created is Knytt, so I'll do my best to get the game. Knytt rocks!
PC Specs
Processor: AMD A8-3520M (Equivalent to a i5 Intel Core)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
RAM: 5.6 GB

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 13:07:14 »
Yep. Profanity is generally something completely harmless that people worry way too much about. Why would anyone under 16 take any kind of damage from hearing the word "fuck?" On the other hand, the gender roles and indifferences most of the society seems to embrace, presented in media all the time... that stuff does some proper damage. I was really depressed at GamesCom for that reason, the game industry is really behind there, I can't believe how many sexist games that would be within my field of view at any given point.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 13:45:04 by Nifflas »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 03:30:11 »
Yeah, sexism is depressingly well entrenched in the AAA games industry. They'd be pilloried for encouraging racist view and behaviour, but sexism is a-okay for some reason.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 11:42:25 »
I was really depressed at GamesCom for that reason, the game industry is really behind there, I can't believe how many sexist games that would be within my field of view at any given point.
And "booth babes".

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2012, 14:11:51 »
NAH, it's precisely those booth babes that keep my enthusiasm driven at some games conventions.

<3

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 18:09:56 »
I don't pay much attention to new AAA games, but I don't notice sexism. Sure, there's some degree of sexism even in "booth babes", but I mean I don't recall any sexism that could be considered dangerous.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 18:18:57 by GrayFace »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 19:32:13 »
I think he means dangerous in a more long term way, that is the kids growing up seeing women being objectified and so on.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 12:55:45 »
I don't pay much attention to new AAA games, but I don't notice sexism. Sure, there's some degree of sexism even in "booth babes", but I mean I don't recall any sexism that could be considered dangerous.

First, a warning that this post and the links within it discuss sensitive issues, contain coarse language, or may upset you in other ways.

Sexism is quite pervasive in both the industry and culture of video games. It is bad enough that a woman wanting to create a series of free videos exploring sexism in video games was met with hundreds of threats of rape and other violence. A good example of sexism in AAA games is the trailer for Hitman: Absolution, which positively presents a man killing a group of hybrid nun/dominatrix/assassins. You can view it here, or read one of the many pieces criticising it here. That piece also brings up rape culture with regards to gaming culture, something you can read more about here. Sexism also manifests in slightly subtler ways, such as a developer of Borderlands 2 casually referring to an easier mode within the game as "girlfriend mode". I don't know if these are the best examples... there's so much out there it's hard to know where to start. I hope they prove educational.