The amazing topic of profanity :)

• 68 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: The amazing topic of profanity :)
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 09:16:01 »
Even very common words can be used as swear words, as long as you make sure that these words are normally not used at that location in a sentence. For best reference to their original word, it would work best if you can find a word that starts with the same letter as the swearword it is supposed to replace.

For example:

You're such a doorknob.
You doorknob, get out of my sight.
Are you fishing kidding me?
You fishing doorknob!
Oh fish! I'm such a doorknob! (you get the idea :))

In case you didn't find out: fish = fuck, doorknob = dick
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 14:06:09 »
There's still the problem though. It feels like a toned down version of the original word. This character would never town down her language.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 14:20:47 »
how about changing letters to similar sounding letters?

you phucking asswole. This is sjit.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 05:33:18 »
You could take a page from the playbook of Sir Walter Beck and make liberal use of the word "balls".

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 20:51:47 »
how about changing letters to similar sounding letters?

you phucking asswole. This is sjit.
Substituting words with similar sounding ones isn't what I'm after. I need new ones.

You could take a page from the playbook of Sir Walter Beck and make liberal use of the word "balls".
Interesting :) A bit of googling revealed some really creative use of "balls" in phrases. I shouldn't just take 'em of course, but it can give me some nice inspiration.

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 03:09:29 »
Oh wow! Color me surprised! This is gonna be a first for one of your games, Nifflas. But I like the idea and how it can work out. It reminds me of this one shopkeeper you meet early on in La Mulana. She seems normal till you decide against buying something or don't have enough money for your selection. Then she cusses up a storm! It's hilarious!

Anyways, off the top of my head... Hmm, this is hard... Wasn't there a system in the game where characters would ask for your opinion on something and you could respond either positively or negatively to help those characters make decisions? What if this character thinks that's not a good idea and wants to shove that opinion down your throat?

"Hey! You're that dumbass everyone's been talking about, aren't you!? What, you think you can just strut around and solve every random little problem with a tiny pep talk?! Ugh... It's innocent, optimistic, idiotic little bitches like you that make this world too damned stupid to pick up after its own crap! You still wanna do me a favor? I've got a great one for you: GET THE HELL OUT OF MY SIGHT BEFORE I KICK YOUR ASS OUTTA HERE RIGHT NOW!!"

Could something like that work?

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 00:08:13 »
Maybe the character, in addition to swearing a lot in general, could be fixated on a specific swear word and use it all the time, even occasionally in contexts where you wouldn't expect to hear it. Then you could use that word in at least some cases where you'd want to use "fuck" and can't think of an appropriate substitute. I've met some real people with this quirk.

I'm not sure I wanna make words up, it works a bit better when spoken than written. Sod is a bit tricky, in a situation where a character gets totally upset and want to scream out "FUUUUUUUUUCK!!!" it's kinda hard with "sod".
You can't exactly scream it but "Son of a bitch!" is nearly as common as "Fuck!" as a generic expression of frustration.

Offline Grookie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 13:05:54 »
What about just some partial censorship, like there would be a black bar on the majority of word, but the significant part (to recognize it) would be visible. Also, you could put some simillar-looking characters under the bar, not to be "fuck" but "luck" for example, and show only the lower part of the word. Also, "Euck", and show the upper part.

Or just invent some swears in "knytt language", which could simply replace it. As strong as they could be, and use them in common phrases with "fuck" to be clear what it is.
:turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:
Spoiler: Archievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 16:47:04 »
Here's the funny part. It allows words such as damn, hell, God, bloody, son of a bitch, sod, tart, crap, bugger, screw, arse, slag, slut, tosser, Christ, dickhead, bitch, shit, piss off, whore, arsehole, prick, bollocks, twat, bastard, wanker and shag.

bitch, crap and shit. good, solid swear words. I totally agree with this. Take these words man and those censuring     dickheads (< pegi 12, it's ok) will just have to take it.   >)

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 22:12:31 »
Can you say "dafuq?"

That could be funny- some odd thing happens, "dafuq???"

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 16:07:21 »
My English doesn't allow me to say how stupid or good these ones I made sound, but here you go: brain-damaged piece of scum, craphead (or headcrap :)), shitload of shit, shit bug, cockless, "holy son of a bitch!"

Offline Mirror Sound

• tumblr: mirrorsoundks.tumblr.com ask me stuff. :)
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 18:07:28 »
Haha. It's amusing to find that Knytt Underground is gonna be PG-12 and have cursing in it. Can't wait for this. :p
Juni's Great Adventures 2 - to be released December.
Medieval Landscape - Postponed until the release of Juni's Great Adventures 2

mynameisteja.tumblr.com
a friend from school. c: follow her plz?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 23:19:40 »
Oh, by the way, I'm keeping the desktop versions pegi-16

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 23:25:34 »
Does that mean those versions will have stronger profanity?  O_o