A little more info on NG physics, + Bad news.

• 25 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: A little more info on NG physics, + Bad news.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 18:21:24 »
My name is Nicklas, uses the alias Nifflas and currently work with Nicalis. I can see why people get confused :)

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 23:27:07 »
Too many "Ni**las"es  X-P

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 07:00:08 »
Quote from: Independent Games Festival Five Finalists Roundup Article
Fourth in our round up is Night Game. This is an astonishingly playable title from Nicklas "Nicalis" Nygren, who is also working on the WiiWare version of Japanese side-scolling action-adventure, Cave Story.

The author really doesn't understand what's going on. They've totally mixed up Nifflas with Nicalis. :S (I suppose this would be an easy mistake to make, but it shows the writer has little existing familiarity with Nifflas and Nicalis.)

that's hilarious. XD

Hey leave him alone man... so did i at one point :(  XD untill i realised there two different people....

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 07:11:21 »
...there aren't two different people. There's a man and a company.
good bye

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 07:35:05 »
But the company isn't run by the man... is it?
Lurk more.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 11:58:13 »

Its run by BP

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 15:00:05 »

Its run by BP
I lol'd.

Here's the rundown, for anyone who's still confused.
Nifflas = Nicklas Nygren = the guy who made KS and Knytt and WaDF.
Nicalis = a group of three (four?) people directed by Tyrone Rodriguez, I believe.
grao!

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 19:57:11 »
Nicalis = a group of three (four?) people directed by Tyrone Rodriguez, I believe.

Actually, it's not currently possible to know exactly how many people work for Nicalis. Right when that Skymning post was discovered, in March last year, everyone assumed that Nicalis was like four people, because only four people were mentioned in the post.

It has since become clear that Nicalis is not a loose collective as was assumed, but rather is an actual business, which employs its own programmers and such. Nicalis being a private business, though, it's not possible to know exactly how many people are employed by it, but it must be more than three or four.
good bye

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 07:43:09 »
But is Chris Shclarb (Or however you spell his last name) a part of Nicalis, or is he just making the music for Night game.

And what about the little things such as the people who make the artwork for CaveStory, the web designer and things like that?

Are they apart of Nicalis?

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 08:08:58 »
(Presuming "part of Nicalis" means "directly employed on a long-term basis by the company", rather than "directly employed by the company to work on one specific project".)

I don't think Chris Schlarb has any sort of long-term employment with Nicalis. (Like, being paid to work on soundtracks for future games to be published by Nicalis.) He stated in that IGN interview that he had been working with Nifflas before Nicalis expressed interest in Night Game, so Nicalis can't have hired him for the project. (I mean, hired after a publishing contract in order to work specifically on the project.)

The people working on the art for Cave Story would appear to be directly employed by Nicalis, but the work might also be contracted out. (Or some combination of these.)

The site was probably designed by a contracted web design company, or thrown together by someone already associated with Nicalis. I can't imagine a small games publishing company would need to hire a web designer for the long term.
good bye