A little more info on NG physics, + Bad news.

• 25 Replies

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
A little more info on NG physics, + Bad news.
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:49:53 »
Quote from: Independent Games Festival Five Finalists Roundup Article
Fourth in our round up is Night Game. This is an astonishingly playable title from Nicklas "Nicalis" Nygren, who is also working on the WiiWare version of Japanese side-scolling action-adventure, Cave Story. Night Game is all visualised in silhouette, with the action taking place in the shadowy foreground, and the background providing the only colours - sombre night-time blues and purples. It's an action puzzle game where you must use the weird physics of a travelling ball to progress. While it moves realistically most of the time, it has a kind of anti-gravity "stickiness" to it, allowing you to pull off feats of inertia to find your way through the game. It's oddly reminiscent of old-school action-adventure Another World, with each single screen posing you with a particular puzzle. I don't expect this to win, but it will doubtless conjure up a cult following on its release later this year.

I guess it's liked.. But not enough?  <_<
Also, from this article, my guess on the physics is the use of only one ball, but while you are in the air it is a lighter gray to white, and it can change color based on background.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:51:47 by Dj Gopher »

Re: A little more info on NG physics, + Bad news.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:05:18 »
and it can change color based on background.
How did you get that?
Lurk more.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:10:46 »
Fourth in our round up is Night Game. This is an astonishingly playable title from Nicklas "Nicalis" Nygren, who is also working on the WiiWare version of Japanese side-scolling action-adventure, Cave Story.

The author really doesn't understand what's going on. They've totally mixed up Nifflas with Nicalis. :S (I suppose this would be an easy mistake to make, but it shows the writer has little existing familiarity with Nifflas and Nicalis.)
good bye

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:48:09 »
Well, it didn't win the Seamus McNelly Grand Prize, but considering that it was nominated out of all those games that were submitted to IGF, I don't think NG will be that bad ;)

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 19:39:26 »
I wasn't saying I don't think it will be amazing, just a little disappointed that it might not win.

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 20:25:15 »
I'd be surprised if it did win.
Innovative or not, it's a game about a ball.
People these days want games about heroes or anti-heroes with thirteen swords or fifty guns--or both. And 'hot' girls who wear battle armor that only covers 20% of their body.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 23:13:25 »
People these days want games about heroes or anti-heroes with thirteen swords or fifty guns--or both. And 'hot' girls who wear battle armor that only covers 20% of their body.
Fortunatly, that's not the spirit at IGF. :)
Night game didn't win because the other games were also very good. It's already spectacular for it to be a finalist.

I still wholeheartedly believe it is going to be a spectacular game which I won't be able to play... =(

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 23:35:19 »
I still wholeheartedly believe it is going to be a spectacular game which I won't be able to play... =(
I'll invite you over to my house and we could both play :)
Or abstract games concerning men with beaks made by Swedes.
I really don't like Blueberry garden..firstly the screen area looks so empty and the player's character looks like a very ugly half man/bird. And the gameplay looks boring. That's just my opinion  :P2

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 23:44:02 »
Well, he got the innovation award! By looking at the released footage, I have no idea of how the gameplay is going to be. It seems very original. That's one of those which you really need to try in order to make your mind.
I'll invite you over to my house and we could both play :)
I'd love to, but well... I sort of... live in Portugal... which is not exactly next to Australia... mate... xD

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 00:29:25 »
I'd love to, but well... I sort of... live in Portugal... which is not exactly next to Australia... mate... xD
I'll buy a Wii and move toi Portugal! :crazy:
grao!

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 06:14:27 »

I don't think that's necessarily true. Many designers, especially independent, are shifting towards more simplistic design. Take recent hits like N+, Braid, World of Goo, and Castle Crashers for example. Most successful "Wii-ware" or "Live arcade" games are simple and artistic. Which is why I think NG has huge potential for success  :^^:

...However, that statement is true in JRPGs. And shooters. Which is mostly just tacky.

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 07:41:10 »
You live in Portugal..cool! :D  C)p I'm from Colombia and Spain  :D

Offline Ax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 20:41:38 »
I wasn't saying I don't think it will be amazing, just a little disappointed that it might not win.

Well, World of Goo didn't win last year and arguably was more successful (certainly in terms of exposure) than the winner, Crayon Physics Deluxe.  In fact World of Goo had the honor of being named IGN's Wii game of the year.  Yeah.  Same year that Smash Bros. came out. I guess what I'm getting at is that just being nominated is a huge victory for this game.  IGN has already released a massive trailer for the game, along with an interview with one of the guys at Nicalis.  And if you listen to the IGN Wii podcast they've talked about it a few times.  Odds are, if World of Goo is any indication, Night Game will only get more attention as the release date nears.

I've got my fingers crossed that this game makes it really big.  I'll probably buy two copies when it comes out.  One for my Wii and another for my Dad's.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 20:36:34 »
Fourth in our round up is Night Game. This is an astonishingly playable title from Nicklas "Nicalis" Nygren, who is also working on the WiiWare version of Japanese side-scolling action-adventure, Cave Story.

The author really doesn't understand what's going on. They've totally mixed up Nifflas with Nicalis. :S (I suppose this would be an easy mistake to make, but it shows the writer has little existing familiarity with Nifflas and Nicalis.)

that's hilarious. XD