download:

1.3 Mediafire 63.96MB

unfinished/brokenish
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

old downloads

screenshots:

info:
This is a tutorial/prologue to my level The Empty Planet. It is almost strictly environmental but is more akin to a linear story. If you don't like to read text in a game I'd avoid it. Basically it's just something that tells you to press down on things over and over again.

All the tilesets and gradients are custom (except gradient 14, the black one). I lost count of custom objects but there are a lot, over 100. There's some custom sound by me and all the music is by brokenkites.

There are two regular endings and it's nearly random as to which one you get.

There are also two secret endings. If you're having trouble finding them (and you will for one) there's a help section at the bottom of this post in case you don't want to have to find them. They are each spoilered inside the spoiler with vague names.

Thanks to the people that beta tested, if there are still problems/bugs/typos, it's my fault, and I must have missed it. Tell me about it and I'll correct it.

Sometimes you get stuck and pressing left or right will fix that (a shift can be missed or just not trigger on touch, this is random). This can happen at the red/green light part.

Also, anyone who wants to use any of the tilesets or custom objects or gradients, feel free to do so.

I'd be curious as to what ending each of you got/found if you like to share. And if anyone wants to just say how they got it, I don't mind I just don't want to give it all up right now because I know how some people just can't help spoiling things for themselves.

ending help:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:54:36 by plural »

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
Re: Orientation [Environmental/Misc]
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 22:26:34 »
Hey, loved it. Lot of text yes but well written. I got the normal ending of course and one secret ending:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 22:29:54 by lamarblake »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 23:24:01 »
Nice level, but I couldn't fully enjoy it. The animations are too much for the old computer I play KS on. The graphics are gorgeous! I got all the endings, but I don't remember seeing that last screen shot. Did you make changes since version 1.1? This is just a guess but I think you could fix many of the missed shifts by using floor and square shaped shifts.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 23:34:23 »
Nice level, but I couldn't fully enjoy it. The animations are too much for the old computer I play KS on. The graphics are gorgeous! I got all the endings, but I don't remember seeing that last screen shot. Did you make changes since version 1.1? This is just a guess but I think you could fix many of the missed shifts by using floor and square shaped shifts.
OH MY GOD!
I want to keep using caps lock but I won't but I had no idea that it altered the shape of how you contact the shift. I just thought it was cosmetic only. I feel like throwing myself down some stairs for not knowing/wasting so much time about this.

Also, I made quite a few changes for the path you take to get to the secreter ending because I felt it was a little bland.

Anyway... I'm going to have to go cry for a while then go through and edit a ton of shifts. It still should be functional now but it would function better and without any hitches once I change them all.

*edit: sadly this doesn't fix the problem I'd hoped it would with the hitching at the lights (shifting into a shift, I'll fix it with a wallswim), just the points where you can fall between the shifts and only trigger them after you move.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 23:54:10 by plural »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 23:51:56 »
Well I was excited about this but I'll wait until you update it.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 00:03:17 »
There's an update in case you already downloaded it and don't want to press left/right half the time at the ending. Just overwrite the original game. The original upload should function fine aside from that, it's not broken at all, but anyway. I'm editing in the fix to the original post now and I'll edit in the newest full version with the fix once that's finished uploading in a minute or so.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:08:09 »
Oh my word.

I don't think I have ever seen more masterful use of COs in a level than this.  You better believe I am pumped for your upcoming level now!

As always, I have created a review for new levels that show up (that I can actually beat and are finished).  Follow this link to read it:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5404.msg58151#msg58151
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 22:12:16 »
This was absolutely exhilarating. Best dialogue I've seen in a KS level, I think. All the extra dialogue, too. Incredible. The preview thread for The Empty Planet makes the story even more intriguing. I can't wait to play the finished level!

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 15:40:46 »
This is a brilliant level. I just got around to playing version 1.3 and I was amazed by how much had been added since the beta I played. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though, that extra 7 MB had to come from somewhere.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 05:00:36 »
I barely ever post, but I have to for this level because wow this is such an amazing level. You used COs so well and I can't believe you got shifting to work so well. It reminds me of fariks levels (which are my favorite levels) but you do it even better. I can't wait to see your next level!

I got all of the endings (found one by myself and used your hints for the others) and they were all great. Keep it up!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 00:33:37 »
Very nice.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 00:59:11 by GrayFace »

Offline oskop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 05:33:52 »
Really great level, by far the best of recent ones - even if it's only an intro of sorts. I love the way it looks; when it comes to doing something more complex/realistic with Knytt Stories it gets the balance right between doing that and still making sense with Juni's style and KS's style more generally. Trying to post and I get an automatic message telling me it's been over "120 days"; it's a shame the place is empty/slow and you got so few responses, this is really good stuff, congrats and thank you.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 21:33:23 »
.. Just looking at the screenshots made me want to play this so bad. Great work. :)

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 18:53:58 »
This was beautiful. It had one of the most moving, well-written and uplifting stories I've encountered in KS. I'm not sure I understand what happened in the different endings, however.

Spoilers for all endings:
I've never meta pun I didn't like.

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 07:48:09 »
This was beautiful. It had one of the most moving, well-written and uplifting stories I've encountered in KS. I'm not sure I understand what happened in the different endings, however.

Spoilers for all endings: