[Misc] Bitter Liver

• 7 Replies

Offline saba

• View Profile
[Misc] Bitter Liver
« on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:01 »
Hey there.

For several reasons I'm not able to knytt anymore and my level 'Bitter Liver' has been unfinished for many months. I just thought of it, played through it again, and realised that it will never get finished. I just don't have the time anymore and I'm busy with many other things.

But since I did work quite hard on it for a while, I decided to release what I got. So unfortunately it will just end abruptly. Some of you might know the part at the end. I already released that as part of a leveling competition at some point. It was called 'Melanchoholia'.

Some people didn't like how the path wasn't always clear. If you are one of those then be warned, because there's more of that here  :^^:. Keep in mind that this is quite an abstract level, consisting of several sections.  The objective always is to find the grammophone to reach or unlock the door, which leads to the next section. Also there are some placeholder graphics. I never quite figured out how to make them better  X).

Sound is very important. The story is told without words. Also there's some World War I era music. No copyright needed  C).

Take a look at the screenshots from the preview thread.

Get it here.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: [Misc] Bitter Liver
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:21:34 »
This is very good! I wasn't a big fan of the short preview you submitted a while back, but this is a much more complete experience. I especially liked
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
It's a shame you won't be able to finish this.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 22:25:01 »
I really like how you told the story. Would you tell us how it was going to end, describe the images we would have seen?

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 11:41:50 »
Great level. The backwards music reminds me a lot of KG's meaning of life level and the design like something yohji would do. I like how you use water, waterfalls and other objects, it's very creative. Amazing atmosphere I enjoyed everything.
It is a shame it ends very sudden.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 18:09:59 »
Great level; as Healy said, it was a better, much more complete experience than when you submitted just 'Melancholia'. Atmosphere was very sad... I'd love to know how this would have gone on; it's a real shame you're not going to finish it.

Do you mind telling me where you got the music from?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 18:13:24 by Talps »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 19:10:11 »
I can't believe I missed this. I've been looking forward to it since the preview thread, eh... Anyway, I agree with what the others have said: a beautiful experience, and I wish you could finish it. A wonderful piece of work. I liked the busiest parts best - the part with the baby, the Melancholia ending (I think Melancholia stands up very well on its own... :oops:), etc. It was also interesting how, despite all the abstraction and the way the path wasn't always clear, there was no real way to get lost - great level design there.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:06:53 »
Was just playing through a bunch of levels and happened to come across yours.
It was one of the most wonderful abstract pieces of work.
A story that was mysterious, unsettling and obscure.
Just playing this at night with the volume up ... a wonderful atmosphere.
A must-play level i feel.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 04:34:09 »
Wow, really glad I played this! I wasn't too impressed by the preview screens at first, but once I started playing, the music -really- helped build up the atomosphere, and the chaotic nature of the tilesets was perfect.

It was a bit hard to tell what was solid at some times, but I never felt like I could get lost...with the exception of--
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
--but I eventually found my way out.

Still, an amazing level. I give it an A/5.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.