Ship Parts [misc/easy/small/KS+]

• 4 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Ship Parts [misc/easy/small/KS+]
« on: July 06, 2012, 23:38:24 »
Medic-Ted asked me what the best way to emulate the Knytt ship part collecting mechanic with KS+ was. So, I created this demonstration level in response. There are 4 parts in it, but the method can easily be expanded to 6 parts. Pressing "i" shows the parts you've found in the full inventory. This level is only meant to be a simple example of a technique, meaning you wont have much fun playing it, but I spent far more time than necessary on custom graphics and nostalgic cutscenes.

Download Ship Parts 328 KB
Important! You need KS+ to play this level. Get it here.

Some of the KS+ tools used are Artifacts, Artifact customizing, and Artifact Flag Warps. Custom Characters and Override Custom Objects are also used but are unimportant to the demonstration. All custom graphics included with this level may be used and modified for your Knytt Stories levels.

Edit: This level has been updated with simplified logic. You must have KS+ 0.6.9 or newer.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 00:55:59 by egomassive »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Parts [misc/easy/small/KS+]
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 21:30:06 »
I'd like to take the opportunity to say that I love your mod. I haven't found a reason myself to make a level specifically for it, I still use it to play all Knytt Stories levels anyway.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 00:52:16 »
Thanks for the feedback. My intention is to supplant the official KS with mine :shifty:, so I like hearing that people are using it that way. I used to push the original engine to it's limits with complex flags, shift, and warps. This demonstration is just a taste of the new possibilities available in KS+. But as people like yourself keep proving, you don't need KS+ features to make something creative and new in KS.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 00:54:05 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:09:23 »
My intention is to supplant the official KS with mine :shifty:, so I like hearing that people are using it that way.

The only thing preventing me from replacing Knytt Stories with your far more convenient mod are the tiny inconsistencies I tend to notice whenever I play something, such as cutscene sounds playing much earlier in your mod.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 22:41:54 »
The only thing preventing me from replacing Knytt Stories with your far more convenient mod are the tiny inconsistencies I tend to notice whenever I play something, such as cutscene sounds playing much earlier in your mod.
I didn't know about that one. Nifflas used a built in fade transition, but I had to write my own to make cutscenes compatible with zooming. Thanks for the information. I'll look into it when I can.