[Misc] The Tree of Life

• 16 Replies

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
[Misc] The Tree of Life
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:33:29 »
I know I'm just a newbie but I figured I post something about the story I'm working on. I'm doing this for two reasons. Firstly, in hopes that it'll give me incentive to actually finish (it's a large project, I think). Having people I'm "accountable" to will help with this. Secondly, to get some interest/feedback from fellow players (as opposed to just uploading it). So without further adieu ...

The story is called The Tree of Life. At its heart it's just another "save the day" type thing. It will be story-driven with plenty of world to explore. Just want to ignore the main "quest" at first and explore? Do it! You just might find some interesting things along the way.

I'm not sure exactly what to classify it as because it doesn't quite fit any category. It will be Hard difficulty.

Features:
  • All custom music - This will be played as ambiance so if you get stuck in one area for a long time you won't have to deal with lots of silence.
  • Non-standard tiles - Most of the game features the standard tilesets (I hope I've used them in non-standard ways and combinations). However, there are a few areas that have non-standard tiles and even a couple custom tilesets.
  • Expansive world - Several hundred maps to explore.
  • Warping - Once you've gotten far enough in the story, you can unlock (literally) the ability to warp to some specific locations around the world.
  • Restricted saving - Saving will generally only be possible in special "sacred grove" maps. This is a screenshot of one of the nearest to the starting location.
  • Secrets - You'll have to explore the world. There's even some bonus content, if you can find it.

I'd like to keep as many details as possible secret because I feel that will help enhance the experience. But I'll answer any questions or concerns if anyone has them. Also, unless people really want screenshots, I'll probably keep them to a minimum as well. Oh, and one last thing: I have no estimate for a release date yet. End of year, maybe?

I will post progress here to keep interest alive (for myself as well as others).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 00:47:04 by Purple Ink »

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Misc] The Tree of Life
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:15:50 »
Needless to say, I will review your map when it comes out.  Based on what you have posted, I'm going to assume it will be above average at least!   ;)
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 18:36:31 »
Sounds like you've given it a lot of thought. Good luck on this. Don't be afraid to use custom tilesets. There are a lot of them out there, and they make a big difference to people who've been playing KS a long time.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:29:06 »
Don't be afraid to use custom tilesets. There are a lot of them out there, and they make a big difference to people who've been playing KS a long time.

Well, I have zero ability when it comes to anything related to art things. Also, it's kind of a design decision to use the standard tilesets.

Anyway, I forgot to mention another feature of the level. It has a difficulty curve. I know this isn't a new or unique idea. But the level will start out slow, with few enemies and things and become more and more challenging as you progress through the story. So, the difficulty is not static. If you just explore the word, however, it should stay about the same (unless you go too deep underground).

Also by way of a little progress report: the room count is up to 107 and everything is fully planned out and conceptualised now. I just have to create the rooms and do lots of testing.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:16:58 »
Hope it's not against the rules to double post but I thought it was time to give a progress report.

There actually will be more custom things than just the music. There will be some custom tiles and objects. Like I said before, I have no art skill so it takes me awhile. X)

The current screen count is around 200. I think the world may end up being larger than I initially thought.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:21:33 »
There actually will be more custom things than just the music. There will be some custom tiles and objects. Like I said before, I have no art skill so it takes me awhile. X)

If you'd like, I could draw some stuff for you.  I'm actually looking to contribute artistically to other peoples' projects, provided they let me.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:56:26 »
There are also many custom graphics to be found on this board!

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:39:06 »
If you'd like, I could draw some stuff for you.  I'm actually looking to contribute artistically to other peoples' projects, provided they let me.

I just may have to take you up on this.

Anyway, after many tears and lots of trial and error to get the ground pieces to line up properly, I've finished the basic ground tiles and some background effects for a tileset (of many needed). Here's a quick screenie I threw together to test out what I've got so far.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I feel like the ground pieces may be a little hard on the eyes because of the contrast/brightness of the highlights. Yes?

It should be unnecessary to mention but having to redo the 200ish screen with new tilesets is going to take some time. Not to mention I have to actually finish the tilesets first. So, the release date is pushed back further now (even though there isn't one yet lol).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:40:49 by Purple Ink »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:30:50 »
When I suggested using custom tiles, I didn't mean that you shouldn't use any default tiles. A little something here or there will be more than sufficient for a first level. More than anything we like to see levels get completed. Unless you really want to, I don't think you should remake the whole level.

As for your first tileset, yes the foreground hurts my eyes. It's not so much the color combination as the brightness of the colors. Also, the distant tiles don't look like they belong with the foreground tiles. Using similar colors and patterns could be a good idea. :)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 14:26:50 »
Well, for starters, I've done lots of work with that tileset. I re-coloured it, making it darker and easier on the eyes. It now matches the background much better too. Plus, I've started making accents like grasses and trees and things. Once I make a little more progress I'll post another screenshot with the tileset.

Also, using default tiles is a design decision for some areas (as I mentioned before). So there will be lots of standard tiles. Also, I only have 200 or so screens to remake and that's only about ½ of the world. Maybe a little more. So it's not that much work really.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 00:51:36 »
Sorry for another double post but I don't think people will notice the edited first post without one.

I'm not dead! A lot of progress has been made with this level. Most of the maps are finished (only 3 major areas left!), most the story cut-scenes are finished, and I've completed a successful test of all content so far. The projected release date is still the end of the year but if I'll try to finish it before then.

In the meantime, please enjoy these screenshots.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 12:34:09 »
It's a nice surprise that you're still working on this. It looks promising from the previews.

Offline Marximillian

• I don't hate Swedes, what are you implying exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 22:28:48 »
Yeah this looks interesting.
x

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 01:28:24 »
Ah!  You're back!

Was wondering where you had vanished off to.  You still want those tilesets made?

Love anything

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 07:07:36 »
Very cool looking :)
Whenever I see this topic I think of the Tree of Life from Evangelion..
How I miss feeling nostalgic