A series of KS reviews

• 48 Replies

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
Re: A series of KS reviews
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2012, 00:33:59 »
Thanks for the review! Nice to get some feedback.

You're mistaken on a few points though. :P

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

I was a little worried about the soundtrack because it is so different from most other levels. I'm glad it wasn't too much. And it really means a lot when you say things like "I would dare say that it is almost as fun to explore as the original Knytt!" <3

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 05:21:06 »
Thanks.  I tend to overlook details like that sometimes. :P

Just let me know if you need some tilesets done!  I'll do what I can!
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 16:45:18 »
Map:  Gustav's son

Author:  Polana

Type:  Challenge/Maze

Size:  Medium

Difficulty:  Hard

====================

Here we have an unofficial sequel to an old Nifflas level, 'Gustav's Daughter'.  The setup, play-style, and conclusion are very similar, but the world you explore is not!  Let's have a look, shall we?

Playthrough
=============

We begin with a brief introduction, explaining the situation.  Gustav's son, (whose name is George, btw) has locked himself in his father's cellar after having an unknown argument with his sister.  Juni agrees to help look for the key in exchange for some pickled gherkins.  One thing you notice fairly quickly about this opening is that it isn't lain out very well.  The screen keeps shifting slightly between scenes and the introductory text is not framed well.  Regardless, it's better than having no opening at all.

The game starts you off with only the run powerup, and allows you to set off from there.  The first thing you notice about this level is the eclectic soundtrack, featuring music that isn't very long, but that isn't too much of an issue since you will constantly be running in-between different areas.  Just like the first level, back-tracking is the name of the game as you hop around, find powerups, and then find out where you can use those powerups to find more powerups until you eventually get to the key you need to unlock Gustav's cellar.

The artwork is also very eclectic.  While some areas, mainly the neighborhood where you start look rough, others are very clean.  A prime example is when you travel between the main area and Sky city.  As a result, I ended up liking parts of the level a lot more than others.  To be honest, I think this would have worked better if this level had also carried over the World Map feature from Gustav's Daughter.  At least then, these areas would be better defined and more separated by distance.

End:

Secrets:

Scoring
========

Construction:  7/10

There are no glaring errors in the level design, though I did find a few pseudo secret passages that didn't take me anywhere.  Apart from the main area, I enjoyed the look and feel of the level.

Challenge:  7/10

This level is difficult to navigate through, so it definitely qualifies under all of its classifications.  I do thoroughly detest the part at x1004 y1003 where you had to jump past that particular roof-hanging obstacle.  I hate those things so much.

Exploring:  7/10

There is a fair amount to be seen here, and you'll be thorough with every area to find the items you need.

Atmosphere:  6/10

While most of the tilesets are quite nice, and I adore the cloud COs, I have to only rate this as 6 because the main area you start out in is so ugly, in my opinion.  I'm not sure what the level creator was going for with that, especially compared to the other areas in this level.

Story:  6/10

I liked the conversation you have with Frieda, but apart from that, the story is standard.

Overall Score:  6.33/10 (Solid)

This is a good enough level on it's own, though it isn't anything truly spectacular.  Due to it's shorter length, though, I wouldn't shy away from giving it at least one play.  The good stuff in it is quite good, despite the other blemishes.  Take it as you will.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:12:26 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline MasterF

• Niflls pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 20:42:40 »
This level is difficult to navigate through, so it definitely qualifies under all of its classifications.  I do thoroughly detest the part at x1004 y1003 where you had to jump past that particular roof-hanging obstacle.  I hate those things so much.
You are talking about the shadow creature that drops water in the area where the candle guy is,right?That was a really bad challenge,to the point I thought I had to have the umbrella to pass it.