[Challenge/Scenic] Cosmic Meltdown {Released!}

• 35 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
[Challenge/Scenic] Cosmic Meltdown {Released!}
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:48:38 »
Greetings everyone!  You may remember me from over 2 years ago, when I promoted a level that I was working on, which, unfortunately didn't come to pass.

This time, though, I have an even better level in the works, which I am nearly finished with!

Cosmic Meltdown

Featuring:

-Five highly varied lands to explore, (not including secret areas), made with completely original tilesets!
-Non-standard music created by independent artists with their permission!
-An in-depth, involving storyline which will possibly make you laugh and cry at moments!
-A couple of troll-faces!
-Loads of SECRETS!

UPDATE:  This level is out!  Follow this link to get it!: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5855.msg61953#msg61953
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 15:08:56 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Challenge/Scenic] Cosmic Meltdown
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:37:29 »
Looks promising, especially the dark forest screen.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Challenge/Scenic] Cosmic Meltdown
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:30:30 »
Alright!  I've been a bit distracted the past few days, but now my attention has returned to this level.

The first playable beta will be available on Friday, the 15th of June.  Hopefully, all of the main world will be done by then.  I still have one more tileset to build, and those can take time.

As for the music, I have only gotten approval from a couple of artists so far, so all of the areas with currently unapproved music will be temporarily replaced with standard KS songs when the beta comes out.  Hopefully more will respond in the intervening time.

Speaking of which, if you are a musician, and you think one or more of your songs would fit the screenshots, or the beta when that is released, please let me know, and we can discuss possibly placing it in the level!

Until then, see you all on the 15th!

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: [Challenge/Scenic] Cosmic Meltdown {BETA AVAILABLE}
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 15:11:26 »
It's the 15th!  The beta is up as promised!  Check the first post!

Love anything

Offline BeamishBoy

• And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    • View Profile
    • Ball With Hat
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 04:46:32 »
Great fun! My first playthrough, I got the yellow key.

The use of custom content is very strong. The interior tilesets are great, and I love the trees as well, although they can be a bit hard to see against the background. The bamboo is nice, but, once again, sometimes foreground/background is a bit hard to differentiate. My biggest complaint is with the ice mountain tiles - the icicles are very organic, while the walls and corners are completely straight.

There were a few too many challenges for me based around the idea that, if one enemy is fun, then six must be six times as fun. I never cheated, but I was tempted a few times when it seemed that my success was going to be completely luck-based.

I thought the coolest part was how interactive the environment felt, from the setting sun to the really well-done day/night changes. The conversation system and the buttons, probably the most innovative parts, did their jobs well to make the world seem deeper.

I look forward to seeing the finished product! (and the zeeky boogy do- I MEAN talkie scenes)
BeamishBoy

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 05:54:40 »
Great fun! My first playthrough, I got the yellow key.

The use of custom content is very strong. The interior tilesets are great, and I love the trees as well, although they can be a bit hard to see against the background. The bamboo is nice, but, once again, sometimes foreground/background is a bit hard to differentiate. My biggest complaint is with the ice mountain tiles - the icicles are very organic, while the walls and corners are completely straight.

There were a few too many challenges for me based around the idea that, if one enemy is fun, then six must be six times as fun. I never cheated, but I was tempted a few times when it seemed that my success was going to be completely luck-based.

I thought the coolest part was how interactive the environment felt, from the setting sun to the really well-done day/night changes. The conversation system and the buttons, probably the most innovative parts, did their jobs well to make the world seem deeper.

I look forward to seeing the finished product! (and the zeeky boogy do- I MEAN talkie scenes)

Thank you for your feedback.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I am going to assume that you got the normal ending, right?  The map is designed in a way that if you find certain secrets, it alters your path through the level.  One of those paths is much harder than the other.
On the bamboo, you have a point.  I'll lessen the opacity of the background bamboo in the next release.  As for the ice tileset, it really comes down to personal taste, and I really like it as it is.
If you think that any of the challenges are much too hard, please point out specific ones for me, so I can reobserve them.  That'd help me greatly, especially if you mention map coordinates or include a screenshot.

Personally, I'm glad that none of it was too confusing for people to figure it out in good time.  If you thought the world was deep now, just wait until the actual story is added!  ;)

Love anything

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 05:36:50 »
I haven't gotten very far yet but I'm loving this level, especially the day/night shifting. I think that's a great feature. I understand not revealing any story elements but it feels a little empty without one, heh. Still good though. I'll give some more feedback when I've gotten further.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 00:08:47 »
How hard is this level suppose to be anyway ?

I'm currently stuck(unrelated to the difficulty), but the dark forest was quite hard in a random kind of way.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 03:55:31 »
How hard is this level suppose to be anyway ?

I'm currently stuck(unrelated to the difficulty), but the dark forest was quite hard in a random kind of way.

The difficulty is labelled on the level itself, as well as mentioned in the first post.

If you tell me where you are stuck in a spoiler box, I can help you out.

Love anything

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:20:58 »
I've played a little more but haven't gotten too much further. I did come across some things you'll probably want to know about. I'll spoiler it so as to not ruin anything for folks.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:16:53 »
I've played a little more but haven't gotten too much further. I did come across some things you'll probably want to know about. I'll spoiler it so as to not ruin anything for folks.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

Ah yes, to explain:

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 22:47:48 »
I am now working on the talkie scenes, and streamlining the challenges in this level.

By my estimate, the second beta, which will include the full story, should be out within 5 days, and the full level, which will include the full story and all of the secrets, as well as any other corrections I need to make, will be out within 3 weeks.

I suggest, if you want the full experience, to skip the second beta.  Of course, if you do sacrifice the experience and give me feedback on it, there will be stars with your name on it, and credits for you in the full release!

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 08:17:21 »
A few delays, but I am still working on the next beta!

I am currently half-way through the process of adding the storyline into the game.  I have also made quite a few changes to parts of the main world.

Provided that I am not further stretched for hours, I should have this beta out within the next 3 days.  If it still isn't out by then, I will devise a wonderful distraction to sate you until it is out!  See you all then!

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 11:19:19 »
UPDATE!

I finally received permission from the last musician I wanted for the level!
As such, I have decided to skip releasing a Beta 2, and just go directly to releasing the full level when it is ready.

After all, it would be fairly foolish of me to publicly release another beta, with full story elements in place.  That would spoil the release!

Also, here is my wonderful distraction.  Click, if you DARE!  http://blahson256.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d4y98xp

Love anything

Offline Fubaka

• View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 17:06:48 »
Nope!  I'm not letting this happen again!

This weekend, Cosmic Meltdown will be finished!  Look out for it!

Love anything