Dark Sea 2 [Challenge][Large][Lunatic-ish]

• 41 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Dark Sea 2 [Challenge][Large][Lunatic-ish]
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 00:53:50 »
Gorgeous level! Your ability to turn challenges into puzzles is just as impressive here as it was in Industrial Trap. The difficulty is certainly too high for me, but I kept at it because the challenges required skill rather than luck, and mostly because it was so beautiful. *gives a star*
Spoiler: spoilers of course (click to show/hide)

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 01:44:44 »
Thank you! Certainly Industrial Trap was a source of inspiration here and there.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 09:03:26 »
Wow.  Finally beat this sucker!
I don't think I've ever felt more accomplished finishing a knytt stories level.
Very original traps in this thing, too.  Things I never would have thought of!

Excellent level, but definitely not for the amateur.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 16:14:18 »
Yeah! It's well worth the wait. :) I've started from the beginning and went 1:46 into it so far. Considering I already finished the demo before, 1 hour is definitely an underestimation :) I also feel like it's Lunatic-ish, with -ish, so far.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 23:18:49 »
It takes me somewhere around 80-90 minutes most of the time to beat this. Good job on beating it, Fubaka!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 21:37:58 »
It took me about 3:20 overall to beat it. Lunatic, without -ish.
Edit: 3:40 actually.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:44:16 by GrayFace »

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 22:28:54 »
Ish or no ish I think the fact that I made it scares away most people. Also it's nice to know how long it takes other people so thanks for keeping track, GrayFace.

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 22:34:00 »
iirc, i gave up 20 minutes in

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 00:28:43 »
@ Ortoslon: I was looking forward to your video of this, but I guess even SecretGlitch's 80 minutes is too long. If I made a video of this it would mostly be Juni dying thousands of time. No one will watch 6 hours of that.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 00:37:02 »
I've miscalculated play time a bit. It's more like 3:40 on the rightmost route of the last part of the level.
I've tried the easy (leftmost) route. You can subtract almost an hour (more than 30 mins for sure) if you go that way.
Edit: Always choosing the middle path took a little more time than the left path. This one is my favorite.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:45:20 by GrayFace »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13:16 »
The art is absolutely fantastic in its simplicity. I love it. However, I'm platformer-handicapped and barely made it past the first place the submarine docks. I did look through the whole level through the editor (I don't know if this is considered poor form, but I do this all the time) loading spots that looked interesting and going forward until the lunatic got me. But still, beautiful and elegant in design.

I also really like the selection part at the end with the gallery like the Mario 64 castle.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 01:59:29 »
@ Ortoslon: I was looking forward to your video of this, but I guess even SecretGlitch's 80 minutes is too long. If I made a video of this it would mostly be Juni dying thousands of time. No one will watch 6 hours of that.

I've got somebody who's potentially making a heavily edited play-through of this level. I might do it myself if he doesn't.

I've miscalculated play time a bit. It's more like 3:40 on the rightmost route of the last part of the level.
I've tried the easy (leftmost) route. You can subtract almost an hour (more than 30 mins for sure) if you go that way.
Edit: Always choosing the middle path took a little more time than the left path. This one is my favorite.

The art is absolutely fantastic in its simplicity. I love it. However, I'm platformer-handicapped and barely made it past the first place the submarine docks. I did look through the whole level through the editor (I don't know if this is considered poor form, but I do this all the time) loading spots that looked interesting and going forward until the lunatic got me. But still, beautiful and elegant in design.

I also really like the selection part at the end with the gallery like the Mario 64 castle.

Thanks! That level select was the result of me being at the end of the project and realizing that I didn't use that particular tileset, so I threw it in since the level was long enough to deserve one.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 02:19:55 »

Thanks! That level select was the result of me being at the end of the project and realizing that I didn't use that particular tileset, so I threw it in since the level was long enough to deserve one.
Yes, that gallery is a very good decision.

Edit: Done the 4th path. Even this one took at least 20 minutes less than the one I was calling "rightmost" before.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:40:36 by GrayFace »

Offline BeamishBoy

• And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    • View Profile
    • Ball With Hat
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 17:14:21 »
I had been hoping to post a review after completing this, but first I had to play Dark Sea 1 (which itself is above my skill level, and took me hundreds of deaths to complete), and now I realize that Dark Sea 2 is even harder, so I can't promise I ever will finish. Granted, this DS1 was the first Knytt Stories level I've played for months, so I'm probably a bit rusty, but I'm in over my head, for sure.

All of the custom content is fantastic. The tilesets are completely professional, and the music does a great job in setting the mood. The save point placement is perfect for me - I never complete some insane challenge only to die right before I get to the save point. Challenges are always creative, and I've only had to refer to a Let's Play twice in order to get a solution. A good combination of physical skill and mental solving. Parts are frustrating, but I should expect that from a lunatic(-ish) level.

Here's hoping I make it through to the end (if I do, I'll add an update to my review)
BeamishBoy

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 17:17:45 »
Good luck and thanks! Don't feel too bad if you have to resort to cheating or going in the level editor. This level was made with my personal skill level in mind, which happens to be much too hard for most people. Dark Sea 1 was similar, but since I was much worse at KS years ago, it happened to be a much more accessible level.