Epic KS Level Competition

• 95 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: Epic KS Level Competition
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2013, 16:14:05 »
Anyway, I'm curious. Are you going to cast a vote, sergio? Or are you just playing overseer?

I'll definitely vote if I manage to find time to thoroughly play each level. I know I'll probably never be able to legitimately beat a couple of the entries, though...

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2013, 19:42:20 »
Maybe I could have gotten through 'Dark Sea 2' if it wasn't so long. I don't know. Been a long time since I tried it.

Offline willxinc

• Will 'XCS'
    • View Profile
    • Self Hosted Site (On Rarely)
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2013, 19:58:45 »
Am I the only one that beat all the levels without cheating? (albeit over a very long period of time)

Also, vote submitted, and now working on recording the other levels still (decided to speed-run them first and take note on general atmosphere / design).

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2013, 12:04:44 »
I beat all the levels without cheating or editing or whatever. :)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2013, 13:23:31 »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2013, 15:20:40 »
I already casted my votes about a month ago, but I just want to say that in retrospect, some these levels are among the best that the community has to offer. Great job to everyone, and the competition was stiff.

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2013, 02:07:42 »
I'm only taking my first steps at KS level designing so I'm no expert, and I've not played all the levels on this thread so it would be wrong to vote in any case, but I just wanted to say that I just finished playing through I Dreamed of the Sky and really enjoyed it. I'm a writer (unsuccessful for now) and a good story is one of the first things I look for in games, so this was a very satisfying level. It reminded me of Hugh Howey's WOOL series, which I would call a complement. Anyway, to Talps, well done from me!

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2013, 04:09:01 »
@Noumenon: There's a perfectly good thread to post in instead of this one about Talps' fine level. Especially since you aren't voting or commenting on other entries. [/nitpick]

To all the entrants, I gotta say good job at putting more huge levels out there. Those are always the ones that people look forward to and never get released.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2013, 13:09:12 »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2013, 16:42:41 »
Voting is over! The results are in!

(Thanks again for hosting this, Sergio.)

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2013, 17:35:12 »
Wow, thanks everyone for voting for me! I'm really amazed I won; I didn't vote myself but I thought there was some really tight competition; particularly 'Dark Sea 2' with it's awesome art and 'Cosmic Meltdown' with it's massively high quality.
So thanks again those who voted for me, and big well done to the other competitors. I think Polana would have been in with a good chance, too, if she'd had the confidence to submit 'Gustav's Son': that's another great level.

Um, big thanks to people who helped me create my level, with tilesets, technical advice, beta-testing, file hosting and anything else! *Dissolves into typically weepy Oscar acceptance speech*

« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2013, 23:40:54 »
Number three, that's for me.

Good job everybody. For me, a lot of the levels weren't my thing, but the ranking the levels seems very fair. An extra round of applause to all of those who got through my level but only played it because of this contest.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2013, 00:50:48 »
Thank you for giving me second place!

To be honest, I knew Talps was gonna win.   :P

And to all the people who found and played through the big secret, you have a special place in my ventricles.  <3
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 00:56:06 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2013, 02:11:36 »
Ew.

I didn't have the patience, so I'm safely outside your ventricles. (Sorry, just not my kind of level.)

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2013, 02:40:09 »
Ew.

I didn't have the patience, so I'm safely outside your ventricles. (Sorry, just not my kind of level.)

This surprises me, as Cosmic Meltdown is probably the most like your own levels that I've seen. About the same length, same level of difficulty (Very Hard), and a compelling narrative. I suggest you give at least the initial Secret Passage a shot, as it increases the difficulty and the length considerably.