Epic KS Level Competition

• 95 Replies

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
Re: Epic KS Level Competition
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 22:47:00 »
You know what, I might as well enter my upcoming level, Cosmic Meltdown into this comp as well.  It should be done by the deadline, and it's quite a big level at that.  I've been working on it, on and off, since October 2011!  XD
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 16:51:09 »
This competition is currently set to close in about a week. Does anyone think I should extend the deadline, possibly by a large amount? There are some great entries currently, but I was (and still am) hoping for a lot more!

Oh, I also added a lot more Steam games to the prize list. There are currently more prizes than can be distributed among the current number of entries. If that's not incentive to enter, I don't know what is!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 17:47:05 »
I'll give it a try with entering my level Gustav's son. It is not epic or large, but it has some custom stuff and funny guy in the cave. Someone must be last...
No, what was I thinking... I should make another fixed version and that will not be done in time, so I am leaving competition. Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:43:41 by Polana »

Offline Marximillian

• I don't hate Swedes, what are you implying exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 19:01:36 »
I think the deadline should be extended a little! I hear on the olivevine that one of my favorite level-makers is approaching the completion of a secret and complex level.
x

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 04:00:56 »
I could do with maybe a month's extension. I'm busy finishing my level for the night competition, but I really want to finish OMGT: Gaiden after that.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 01:24:50 »
At the risk of sounding selfish, I'd feel a bit put out if it was extended; in a competition with actual cash-valued prizes, I feel things should be run more tightly than in the casual KS competitions.

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 02:04:16 »
I agree with Talps.  I feel like my time spent ensuring that my level was finished before the due date would be somewhat squandered if said date was extended like this.

My suggestion would be to simply start up another contest if you want to see more entries.
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 06:14:49 »
I'm totally not going to finish anytime soon, so don't wait for me. *hangs head in defeat*

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:00 »
I agree with Talps too. I think some people worked hard to meet the deadline and it's kind of a slap in the face to them to extend it.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 11:51:18 »
Oh, I also added a lot more Steam games to the prize list. There are currently more prizes than can be distributed among the current number of entries. If that's not incentive to enter, I don't know what is!
What about another round of the competition, Sergio ? (In case you still have more prizes than entries).
I think the competition is good idea and if there are people who worked hard to manage it in time and other who did not succeed, it would be bad to waste the prizes but also little unfair to extend deadline.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 03:24:45 »
So, who all finished with entries for this competition?  Could you edit 1st post with links to their level?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 14:21:28 »
I must admit I'm surprised to see this many negative reactions to the proposal of an extension. I never felt this competition was set up to run more tightly than our regular ones, given that the rules allow levels started long before this competition, and the first post always mentioned the possibility of an extension. My hope was just for this competition to inspire the creation and recognition of more levels with prizes as an added incentive, but I admit their inclusion does make fairness an issue.

Since it seems like more people would be upset if I extended the deadline than if I left it, the original deadline stands. Anyone still wanting to enter has 45 hours left to get their level in. Check this countdown for the current time remaining. As Fubaka and Polana suggested, I'll try to run another one of these competitions in the future for those that feel left out by this turn of events.

No, what was I thinking... I should make another fixed version and that will not be done in time, so I am leaving competition. Sorry.

This saddens me, but I will withdraw your entry from the competition if that's what you want. Think it over a little, anyway!

So, who all finished with entries for this competition?  Could you edit 1st post with links to their level?

Actually, the list of entries has been in the first post for several months. I just unspoilered it to make it harder to miss.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 20:56:55 »
This saddens me, but I will withdraw your entry from the competition if that's what you want. Think it over a little, anyway!
I will make something more epic (and better) for next round (if there will be some). So sorry and thanks for your kind words.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 23:02:16 »
Ah!  Because of the statements about not continuing the deadline, I was under the impression it was over.  I'm also surprised at the desire not to extend the deadlines.  At any rate, I was asking for a link of completed levels, but now that I know the deadline hasn't hit yet, I'll just be waiting.  XD

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 23:17:15 »
Ah!  Because of the statements about not continuing the deadline, I was under the impression it was over.  I'm also surprised at the desire not to extend the deadlines.  At any rate, I was asking for a link of completed levels, but now that I know the deadline hasn't hit yet, I'll just be waiting.  XD

Oh, I'm sorry! I missed the entire point of your post. I will edit in links in a while.