Who thinks we should make contests for Knytt Stories?

• 18 Replies

Invader Dib

Who thinks we should make contests for Knytt Stories?
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:44:17 »
Like, every month there's a theme like "a space enviroment" or "a really challenging puzzle" that people make levels for, and if they win, they get a prize.  I don't know what that prize is, but that's later.  We would upload the finished versions onto the KnyttLevels, and we pick judges to vote on what's best (blindly, so they aren't biased) based on creativity, plotline, ambiance, and difficulty (if it's supposed to be difficult).  Does that sound like a good idea to anyone, or am I just crazy? :nuts:

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Who thinks we should make contests for Knytt Stories?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:10:14 »
It sounds like a good idea, but I don't know if there'd be enough enthusiasm to make this last more than one round.
good bye

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:36:07 »
We could get a lot of entrants the first round and then, hopefully, they'll go a second round and/or more people will join. I'd be willing to do it, depending on the theme.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:32:55 »
I tried something similar to this on the old forum. If anything, you need a lot of entrants 'cause half of them are gonna bail on you.
Lurk more.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 20:05:12 »
In a contest with 5 entrants, only two of them will actually make a level. You would need a bit more than that.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 00:41:56 »
On knyttlevels?

Assuming 20 people want to do it the first time. By next, that'll be down to 10. 5 of those, since no one actually signs up, wont bother. Three more will try to make a level, but loose inspiration. That leaves you with 2 entries.

Assuming 20 people participate originally. Nope. I think this would work as a one or two time thing.
Lurk more.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 23:20:23 »
This might work the first few times, but there will definitely be people dropping out or not being able to make the deadline. Plus, to give out prizes, you would be asking people for some more personal information, which is really not a good idea on the internet. The concept is good, but there would be to many problems with it to do it. I agree with the others, this would not work for long.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 01:25:34 »
Invader can always try one forum competetion and find out for himself how hard it is.
Lurk more.

Offline Bored2death

• My attempt at a Nurykabe Tiled room XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 04:57:44 »
All I can say for him is, good luck! I'd love to join, but any level I made for it would probably be really crappy, as I don't have very much free time and get bored really quickly with the level editor.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:31:06 »
I think it could work if instead of telling people to make full levels, contest entries would be 10 screens long. That may be too short however. (20 might be better.) As for prizes, we could just give winners something to put in their sig. C)

Check out my tilesets!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 11:03:38 »
I think it depends on what you set as theme for such competition.

If you for instance say: Make one cleverly put situation in the level, like a meganism or so, you don't need 50+ screens, but probably 5 to 10.

Or you can say: Make tilesets and create 5-10 awesome looking screens that work together as a mini story.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Didriking

• The King of Umbrellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 07:39:10 »
Yupp, short enviromental contests would probably be the easiest ones to pull off, especially if pre-made tilesets could be used. A short puzzle should also be relatively easy to pull off.

In short (:crazy:), short level competitions would probably work.

Story-based levels however, would (probably) not.

I think this is a good idea, and it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work out in the end, well, atleast it would be fun while it lasted, right?  :)

-place holder-

Offline Dandelion

• Yay owls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 08:29:50 »
I think this is a good idea, and it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work out in the end, well, atleast it would be fun while it lasted, right?  :)
Exactly. We should at least try.

Check out my tilesets!

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 20:55:31 »
Exactly. We should at least try.
Would it be fun while it lasted?
Lurk more.

Offline Didriking

• The King of Umbrellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 20:59:22 »
Well, if everyone stops to be so down and tries to be optimistic for a change :crazy:
-place holder-