[Challenge/Misc][Large][Hard][KS+] The World is Changing v1.0.2

• 55 Replies

Offline toenail

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Misc][Large][Hard][Ego Mod] The World is Changing
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 23:22:57 »
Here's the version from 07 May, I played through it and had no problems: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44735333/ks/toenail%20-%20The%20world%20is%20changing.knytt.bin (I've packed my folder, so it doesn't miss any graphics)
No restart is needed I believe

Well, when you say detailed description, you don't do it half way.
This is realy great! I will look into it.
As I said earlier, at first, I wanted to create a small but hard level. Runing around was part of the gameplay. But now that the level is big, I agree that the first part is anoying. I will look into it.
Regarding the difficulty, you are correct. I mainly added savepoints. I will check the ones you are suggesting.
As for the custom objects, feathers and cats are collectables. I did not see the point of using a single custom icon for them. The golden creatures are standard to ego's mod.

As for the missing golden creature
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline toenail

• View Profile
Well, I can't find the problem with the background.
I have downloaded Knytt Stories 1.2.1 again + KS Ego's mod 5c.
I have installed my level from the download link I provided in the first post.
I did not experience any strange behaviour.
I did not use any custom background which makes it strange in the first place.

I compressed the level once more using the latest build of Egomassive's level editor.
I also added the couple of improvements suggested by GrayFace.

Has anybody else got the background issue ?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
I suspect the missing backgrounds were due to the map.bin being corrupted, but I'm confused by the white background in K4m1k4z3's screen shot.I'm pretty sure that if you are experiencing the problem seen in the quote below, then you did not merge the Knytt Stories folder found in my mod download with the original Knytt Stories folder. My mod does not come with all the necessary data.
... Oh noes, now I'm missing backgrounds and all...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

@ toenail: I wouldn't be using my editor mod for compressing yet. It's a long way from being finished. The game mod can be edited and compressed with standard editors. Just make sure the EditorSettings.temp points to the correct executable.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:32:46 by egomassive »

Oh snap, you were right, I didn't merge it.  C)

So, I've fixed the problems and I must say... Wow, this level is super sick.

Offline toenail

• View Profile
So, I've fixed the problems and I must say... Wow, this level is super sick.

I am not sure if this is suppose to be a good thing or a bad thing.

I have uploaded the last version of the level in the first post...

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
ok. installed the newest version. after leaving the first house Juni falls down and lands in between two other of the houses you can enter.  A place where she wouldn't or shouldn't be able to go.

I'm giving up on this one.

Offline toenail

• View Profile
ok. installed the newest version. after leaving the first house Juni falls down and lands in between two other of the houses you can enter.  A place where she wouldn't or shouldn't be able to go.

I'm giving up on this one.

I am really ashamed of releasing a level that has a bug on the first screen.  THis is really awfull.
I corrected it and did a complete run from scratch again to check the level (which I did not do for the previous release, shame on me  :moody:).

I hope you still want to play my level.

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
Ok that last update fixing the falling bit but I'm still getting the missing backgrounds.

Screenies show what's going on. Any suggestions? Re download Ego Mod? Sorry to be such a bother but I would like to play your level. :)

*Update* May have just discovered my problem. Finally read the "Readme". (yeah, yeah, I know....) I do believe I did not merge the knytt stories folders. oops. off to try........
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 15:11:40 by lamarblake »

Offline toenail

• View Profile
Ok that last update fixing the falling bit but I'm still getting the missing backgrounds.

Glad you found that. At least, not all the problems come from me which is a relief.  ;)

I have internet for a couple of hours. Don't hesitate to report any other issue you may encounter (hopefully, I checked everything this time).

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 15:20:48 by toenail »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Hmm... I wonder how many people have the problem Lamarblake and K4m1k4z3 had. Maybe I should build a warning into the game mod that informs you if you make this mistake. I'm glad you used my mod to make a level Toenail. Several issues have been found thanks to you.

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
well, I merged the mod today but guess what....yep, still have the missing backgrounds. hmmm Very likely user error on my part but too late tonight. am sweepy.....snore.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to make a new level based on the egomassive mod - I'm looking for all knytt stories levels I can find that use that particular mod - but I do have a serious criticism. I JUST started playing the game and while it's your option to start the game with no power-ups - it is proving to be nothing less than a serious design flaw based on the way you constructed the game (topography + adversaries, etc). It is beyond frustrating trying to get past the 3rd or 4th screen only being able to walk with no high/double jump. To the point where I basically decided it was not worth it and (for now) quit. I don't mind hard challenges but give us power-ups FIRST and put the more difficult challenges later in the game (WITH save points!!)

just my opinion.

thanks again. (I'll give it another shot later)

Oh no! Wait a minute - you mean I have to walk/get through all the way to the sitting dude by the yellow box/gate and THEN I have to go all the way back to the village (to collect an animal) and come back - WITHOUT power-ups?!!?!?!?

Seriously bad - atrocious even game design. sorry.

but you should really follow nifflas' design principles when constructing a level and this ain't it.

Offline toenail

• View Profile

Hi,

Thank you for your review. You are, I am afraid, completely right regarding this, as well as not the first to mention it.
As I explained, when I started this level, I was trying to do a small one which would be articficialy made bigger by making player go back to the town.
It is a bad level design.
Around that time, I started having a lot of spare time so the level grew much bigger than expected.
Following a similar comment, I changed the begining to remove this obligation to walk back to the village, as long as you do some exploration before going to the training.
If you visit the houses before walking right, you can get the golden creature.

I am still working on the level but I now have much less time on my hand.
I will completely change this first part so players are not giving up with frustration. I am not sure when it will happen though.

I hope you try and get past the first dungeon to see the rest as well.