[Alpha-Unreleased] Knytt Stories Mobile (KSM) - Android, iOS

• 17 Replies

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
KNYTT STORIES MOBILE - TAKE JUNI ON THE GO!

What?
Knytt Stories. Android. iOS (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad,...). Do I need to say more?  XD
The primary goal is to implement the original Knytt Stories release (Tutorial + "The Machine") on mobile devices, and release it for free on Google Play and the Apple App Store. Later, Nifflas can choose what to do with the expansion ;) .

How?
I am using the original Knytt Stories DS source code and an application development suite (marmalade) that provides full support for C/C++ cross-platform mobile development.

Where?
I am testing KSM on my Samsung Galaxy S II and my iPod Touch. Later, I'll do some more tests in the iPad too. Note that it is very difficult to create the look&feel of the game due to the wildly different screen sizes - But I have a couple of ideas in mind to suit all potential gamers.

When?
Although porting the DS code to marmalade is not a difficult task, there might be some major problems ahead. So, I think I can give an estimated release date of Q4 2012 (October-December 2012).

These are the subsystems that remain to be coded:
  • GUI Subsystem. Management of portrait and landscape views.
  • Menu Subsystems. Splash screen, Main screen, Credits, Options, Load game.
  • Game Subsystems. Cutscenes, Management of game states, Optimizations.
  • Cache Subsystems.
  • Sound / Music Subsystems.
  • Specific mobile platform code (iOS, Android).
  • Optimize everywhere!

Why?
After playing around with the marmalade development suite just for fun, I wondered whether the Knytt Stories DS code could be ported to a mobile environment. It was a lot more easier than I thought. And I have a bit of free time...so I thought, "Ey, let's bring Juni to the mobile crowd" 8D .

Media?
Right now, just a couple of photos:

Portrait mode. In this orientation, Juni will be controlled by a virtual game pad.

Landscape mode. In this orientation, Juni will be controlled either by a virtual game pad or by virtual buttons located at the side of the screen (depends on the screen size).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:22:00 by rrc2soft »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: [Alpha-Unreleased] Knytt Stories Mobile (KSM) - Android, iOS
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 13:42:38 »
sounds ambitious, and awesome. :D
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 14:38:07 »
How does portrait mode work? Does the screen follow Juni around?

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 16:08:20 »
How does portrait mode work? Does the screen follow Juni around?

Portrait mode is similar to the DS version, but with a "Gameboy-like" interface. The game screen (upper half) works as in the DS version: Juni is most of the time in the middle of the screen (as in the image), and when she moves the screen scrolls. The lower half provides a virtual pad and virtual buttons, probably with a special "reset" and "start" buttons to go back to the main menu and show the minimap/powerups, respectively.

In landscape mode the buttons are transparent and located in the game screen, although I have to study how to properly do it. However, due to the screen resolution of the iOS devices, in this mode I might have to implement another virtual pad just for them.

Of course, the iPad version is another different beast.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:58:57 »
I also had this idea in mind. I think tablets are the primary target, because on phones everything would be a bit too small. I used smooth scaling in a graphics editor to see how it would look and it looked fine scaled from 600x240 to 900x360 or 1000x400. On tablets there would be enough off-screen space for controls.

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 18:33:11 »
I also had this idea in mind. I think tablets are the primary target, because on phones everything would be a bit too small. I used smooth scaling in a graphics editor to see how it would look and it looked fine scaled from 600x240 to 900x360 or 1000x400. On tablets there would be enough off-screen space for controls.

In landscape mode, if the mobile is big enough (such as a Samsung Galaxy), it is actually quite playable. As for tablets, I need to make some experiments, as my current graphic implementation (a basic port from the DS version) does not allow smooth scaling. Work work!  X)

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 19:33:49 »
OH... MY... GOD! That is awsome! I have phone with android, and Knytt Stories on it is my dream.
EDIT: I have tablet with Android, so if you want im ready to beta - test ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 19:41:14 by ixMarcel »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 10:43:08 »
As for tablets, I need to make some experiments, as my current graphic implementation (a basic port from the DS version) does not allow smooth scaling. Work work!  X)
Are you going to scale the whole picture? That should be much easier than scaling individual parts and I don't know what would look better.

I know almost everything about KS internal logic, so ask me if you need any help. AFAIK, KS DS is a little bit inaccurate, particularly I read there's some inaccuracy when going from screen to screen. I think I'll also port my KS mod to KSM :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:26:04 by GrayFace »

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 15:10:51 »
OH... MY... GOD! That is awsome! I have phone with android, and Knytt Stories on it is my dream.
EDIT: I have tablet with Android, so if you want im ready to beta - test ;)

Don't worry, I'll need betatesters  :) - but not now. In the near future (2 months > )

Are you going to scale the whole picture? That should be much easier than scaling individual parts and I don't know what would look better.

As I am learning OpenGL "on the fly", I am sure there is a way to scale a whole surface. In fact, I think scaling the whole picture is the way to go for "non-perfect" scaling (for example 150% instead of 200% and 300%).

I know almost everything about KS internal logic, so ask me if you need any help. AFAIK, KS DS is a little bit inaccurate, particularly I read there's some inaccuracy when going from screen to screen. I think I'll also port my KS mod to KSM :)

Thanks  :) , and good luck. Actually, in this thread there are various discussions that helped me to develop the behaviour of the critters. Still, I know there are some inaccuracies here and there, need to fix them.
(Also, I know there are major problems, in particular regarding egomassive KS levels... now that my debug environment is much more advanced, I am determined to squash such bugs).

BTW...

...particularly I read there's some inaccuracy when going from screen to screen...

Can you add a link to this particular inaccuracy so I can fix it? Thx!  :D

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 17:24:06 »
Can you add a link to this particular inaccuracy so I can fix it? Thx!  :D
No, I don't seem to find it. I read something like that a long time ago.

Offline Matthias720

• Chex Quest Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 18:45:02 »
This sounds EPIC! 8D

Doubley so because I just rooted my NOOK Color to run Android. C)p
I use Whaleware.  How about you? :D

Offline Mr Fish

• |#R. FIsH > ?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 17:54:51 »
awesome  :D , when can we expect the first alpha release?  C)p
(cant wait)

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 18:05:58 »
awesome  :D , when can we expect the first alpha release?  C)p
(cant wait)

In two months, with a preliminary implementation of all subsystems (although maybe not music/sound effects) and no optimizations.
(Giving a "release date" I force myself to work on KSM X) )

Offline Mirror Sound

• tumblr: mirrorsoundks.tumblr.com ask me stuff. :)
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 18:31:07 »
Will this be available for the Galaxy Mini? :D
Juni's Great Adventures 2 - to be released December.
Medieval Landscape - Postponed until the release of Juni's Great Adventures 2

mynameisteja.tumblr.com
a friend from school. c: follow her plz?

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 05:05:27 »
Will this be available for the Galaxy Mini? :D

Difficult, due to the screen size  :( .

Precisely (bad news) I had to stop working on KSM due to various headaches with the different screen resolutions, plus "real life stuff (tm)"  :moody: . However, I am a stubborn guy and I plan to finish this before it becomes vaporware. Just do not expect too much  :) .