[Challenge/Misc.] [Normal] [Medium] Awful Mountain Climber Restaurant

• 12 Replies

Offline Healy

• View Profile
So here is something pretty different from me: a level that can be actually quite challenging at times. Awful Mountain Climber Restaurant (the title was inspired from one of those Video Game Name Generator things) is a simple collect-the-keys challenge level, with a few twists here and there. The plot is pretty basic and very silly, but I am pretty pleased with how some of the areas turned out.

Anyway, if you want to give it a try, you can download it here or here. Be sure to tell me if you think the level is too hard/easy/whatever! I'm not too used to making challenge levels.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 19:21:54 by Healy »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Overall it was a nice level, the only thing I didn't like was the excessive amount of save points. But there's a good chance that's just my problem, since a lot of people seem to hate the way I usually distribute them.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: Savepoints: It's funny you should mention that, because a person on another forum that I showed the level to said the same thing. But I think that both of you are better at playing Knytt Stories than average.

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
too much cautionary text. "take the traps slowly" thank you, i'm not stupid

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
There is such a thing as a newbie that doesn't want to play very easy levels.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
I enjoyed the level and found most of the challenges to be adequate. Like the others said, it was weird to see so many savepoints (sometimes just a few tiles apart) and cautionary signs. I was quite astonished to discover the ending screen - there are more endings, and so many secrets to find? I've missed, well, everything. Replaying this soon.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
So the main problems with this level are too many cautionary signs/save points. Good to know, I guess.

Man, all the time I was making this level, I kept thinking to myself "I bet this is gonna score the important ortoslon lp demographic."  :/

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
Personally, the extra save points didn't bother me at all. Just didn't use them all. They in no way kept me from enjoying playing your level. I thought it was pretty durned good.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Personally, the extra save points didn't bother me at all. Just didn't use them all. They in no way kept me from enjoying playing your level. I thought it was pretty durned good.
Yes they don't actually interfere much with the level, but with so many save points, surviving doesn't seem that important, I don't have to stop and analyse the screen before jumping.
By the way I liked the
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
, it was pretty funny.

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile
Man, all the time I was making this level, I kept thinking to myself "I bet this is gonna score the important ortoslon lp demographic."  :/
please describe this demographic, i want to know who watches those (:

might as well get subjective. the level felt claustrophobic (corridors...) and cluttered with interior objects. this together with the truly hideous yodeling set the pace: i wanted to get through as quick as possible. this is why i got annoyed when i ran past someone or a sign, saw the text flicker, stepped back and saw that it was unimportant or, worse, patronizing
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 18:27:40 by ortoslon »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
I played it and got all the endings. It was a lot of fun!

The only areas I thought had excessive savepoints were x1002y986-7 (where I found it faster and easier to just avoid them all) and x1002y980 (two savepoints in a room with barely any hazards). But I could see these being useful for people worse at Knytt Stories than me.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Man, all the time I was making this level, I kept thinking to myself "I bet this is gonna score the important ortoslon lp demographic."  :/
please describe this demographic, i want to know who watches those (:

It's just that you're the most visible person promoting Knytt Stories on TIGSource right now, so whatever levels you cover get more exposure to the outside gaming community than most others. Of course, it's likely that it only feels that way.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
Amazing and good level , but after listening the yodel for fife times I feel brainwashed  :sick:.