Is there a better editor?

• 7 Replies
Is there a better editor?
« on: May 07, 2012, 21:10:26 »
I can't get on with the default editor. Layers in particular, but also it is slow and boring searching through objects and tiles - forgetting where things are and not knowing what certain objects are or what they do. I forget what I've got assigned to different layers and just end up making an absolute mess of things or I start painting objects when I want tiles or vice versa etc.

What I want is an easier editor. Something more like TEdit for Terraria.

Regarding layers, it would make more sense to scrap that whole layers bit and instead right click a tile and set its Order. For example you have a tree and a flower in front of it, you set the tree to "behind" so the flower is in "front" and if Juni is in front of both you set her to "behind" once, so she's behind the flower but in front of the tree. Set her twice behind and she'll be behind the tree as well.

Also have titles and objects named and in scroll lists by categgory instead of scrolling through 256 numbers.
And add copy and paste for objects and tiles already on screen.

I've used MMF2, I know this stuff is possible but I'm afraid its beyond my capabilities.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Is there a better editor?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 21:19:30 »
First of all, the way the game works, its not possible to put Juni behind 2 items. Juni is always present between layer 4 and 5, and layer 3 is always solid, while the rest isn't.

So your alternative is a different level editor. There are a few editors out there for various mods, and there's an yet unreleased editor, which you can find if you [search] for it.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 22:22:50 »
There are several good alternative editors, both released and in active development. But since a lot of the features you crave differ greatly to how Knytt Stories is set up, I'm not sure you'll find any of them to your liking.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:27:20 »
This thread lists all released KS mods and KS editor mods. At the moment, I recommend the KS Extended editor. It is currently the most complete and advanced editor mod.

Forgive me if you already know this but, the only way to see which layers things exist on is by toggling the visibility of layers. This is done in several ways. Right click a layer number to toggle that layer. Shift+left click a layer number to hide all other layers. Shift+right click to view all other layers.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 15:35:03 »
Okay, I'll give the extended one a try. The Undo command is certainly useful.

At the very least there should be a way to find where a particular object set was from. Maybe a right click of the mouse tells you what bank set its under. I look at objects I've placed and forget where I got them from. Names to would be useful too , and a short description - I have no idea what most of the object are or what they do.

Why can you only use tiles from two sets per screen? Can't be a memory limitation, so what's with that? If it's to keep things simple so you don't forget where you got certain tiles from, label them with names and where you got them from instead - a right click of the mouse tells you what tile set its from and maybe an option to jump to it? Just a few ideas I'm throwing out there - maybe some clever dude can implement these?

Oh and please make it possible to edit full screen. My desktop resolution is 1920 x 1200. The editor window is so small I have sit so close to my monitor my nose is practically touching the screen.

I'm assuming the editor was made in Multimedia Fusion? I wrote a simple game in MMF2, though I never finished it. Must be possible to add my ideas into a new version of the editor? I'd do it myself if I could but I think it's too advanced for me.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 15:57:01 »
Have you noticed that right clicking tiles or objects selects them for placement? You just have to be working on the same layer that the tile or object has been placed on.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 17:18:42 »
Why can you only use tiles from two sets per screen? Can't be a memory limitation, so what's with that? If it's to keep things simple so you don't forget where you got certain tiles from, label them with names and where you got them from instead - a right click of the mouse tells you what tile set its from and maybe an option to jump to it? Just a few ideas I'm throwing out there - maybe some clever dude can implement these?

Regarding the reason there are only 2 tilesets per screen, the reason is that the Knytt Stories level format uses a byte (256 possible values) to store a single tile in a layer, and each tileset has 128 tiles; of course this was a deliberate developer choice, but that's just how it works in the game. As far as I remember, there are no KS mods that support more tilesets per screen. The rest has already been addressed by sergiocornaga above.

While some of the issues you're having can be solved or worked around, for stuff like object tooltips and move behind/in front, I don't think there's any editor mod available yet.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 20:08:28 »
I'm assuming the editor was made in Multimedia Fusion?
Yes, and that's the big problem. I could add an option to change screen resolution to the optimal one (like 800*600 or 1024*768) while working with the editor. This is all that can be done with MM2 editor. Story Crafter looks promising.