The Probability Network [Environmental]

• 7 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
The Probability Network [Environmental]
« on: April 24, 2012, 23:21:25 »
We call it the Probability Network, PN for short.  It is a controlled reality simulation used for the precise experimental rendering of Conscious Human Observer Attributes (CHOA).  Understand, this is not a mere VR.  It is a reality, but one which works under different rules than “natural” space, rules which we control.  A Subject is chosen to investigate the PN to confirm data and to cross pollinate the various simulations in order to create the ideal balance of CHOAs.  This will result in an ideal landscape for human habitation, a heaven if you will.  

The Subject’s personal and interpersonal memories must be blocked in order to avoid undue bios resulting in a tainting of the PN.  

This is why you do not remember who you are.

You are the Subject.

Please proceed to the Network Switchboard for further instructions.

And that is the tentative beginning lines of my next project for Knytt Stories.  This is meant to be something like a sequel to Vague Feeling and a prequel to White City.  

I’m super hung up on my Stained Glass tileset used in White City and Vague Feeling, so I’m using various modifications of that and some extras.  I’m also very likely to be using EgoMassives Knytt Mod.  I'm not completely happy with the tilesets I have yet, and will probably add some more curves.  Part of the idea will be that the player changes the game as she plays, changing not just colors but slightly changing the map with each change.  I may eventually add some semi-realistic side areas akin perhaps to parts of Strange Darkness's 'An Empty Corridor,' which I beta tested for him  and admire for some of its qualities of reality breaking down.  (SD, ya gotta finish that thing.)  

As with all my projects of late, this will probably not be ready for a year, but I figured I'd put this up to get some input.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
Re: The Probability Network [Environmental]
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 14:12:32 »
It looks like "White City"(Of course it's one of my favourite levels ;)).

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 17:34:01 »
I'm glad to hear you want to use my mod for this. I'll release the version with overlays soon. It will work wonderfully with your Stained Glass effects.

The premise sounds interesting. Do you have a whole history worked out for this series, or do you make it up as you go along?

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 20:42:45 »
Awesome! And I hope we'll get some other things beside the stained glass; I still am worked up about
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
in White City. Not that there's anything wrong with stained glass :)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:42:08 »
This is kind of a story that is writing itself.  I came up with ideas for Vague Feeling somewhat randomly or intuitively.  Then the idea for this level occurred to me and I realized it would fit perfectly between the two.  I don't exactly have it worked all out, but I know where most of the story is going.  There are also several possible side stories that I might either explore in this release or in another.  I plan to have lots of fun with the story, creating some side tension and randomness that occurs along the periphery as one plays through the game.

@yohji: Without revealing too much,

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 17:42:14 »
This project is delays for the time being.  I've got too many RL projects happening, plus I started a small level called A Short Investigation that is another preview of PN.  Sooo... call this one at least one year and 5 months out from this point, and A Short Investigation 4 months out, even though it is close to being done.  I'll try to shorten that dramatically every chance I get, but my knytting is merely a hobby and I can't afford to let it take over commitments to family and carrier. 

I love doing this though, and this place is a fantastic blast of fresh air to my creative spirit.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 17:48:43 »
I don't understand what is it going to be about, but it looks great.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 18:04:08 »
Well, he he, you can try playing White City and Vague Feeling if you want more of idea than is given in this thread, but I'm not saying that will tell you EXACTLY what this is about.  I roll with "don't tell them what is going on" kind of story telling.