Knytt Stories editor troubles

• 3 Replies

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
Knytt Stories editor troubles
« on: April 14, 2012, 22:11:19 »
Hiya,

Since a fair while I've been using Avira as my virus scanner. For some reason, however, Avira doesn't want me to open the editor. Knytt Stories itself works just fine, though. I've tried to let Avira ignore the problem, but the warning message keeps popping up. I really have no clue how to fix this, so I was wondering if any of you knew.

Yono

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: Knytt Stories editor troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:20:29 »
Unfortunately I don't know if it's possible to permanently whitelist the editor: as far as I can tell, the way Avira manages file exceptions makes it hard to manage this situation, where the editor creates the stdrt.exe file inside a temporary directory with a randomly generated name (the same happens with Knytt Stories, but I guess the anti-malware heuristics used only dislike the editor).

If Avira allows wildcards in its exception list, you could make it ignore any stdrt.exe file inside a temporary folder whose name starts with 'mrt'; it could still be a security risk, but it's better than telling it to ignore all stdrt.exe files (I believe some exploits using that name exist).
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 16:59:13 »
It might be a good idea to switch to a different virusscanner. I'm very fond of Microsoft Security Essentials.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 20:20:03 »
You can also use it unpacked...