The Original Knytt in Knytt Stories

• 11 Replies
The Original Knytt in Knytt Stories
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:08:40 »
Has anyone made a Knytt Stories level imitating the original Knytt yet? I was simply wondering because it would be cool to have an editable map of Knytt within Knytt Stories, or just to have an excuse to play Knytt all over again. If not, how hard would it be to make one? Obviously there are a couple problems such as the objects in he original Knytt aren't powerups like in Knytt Stories, and as far as I know there is no way to make the new character glow white when going through a secret passage. However, it would still be a cool project to conquer, even if it's a bit tedious and pointless. Thoughts?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: The Original Knytt in Knytt Stories
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:27:48 »
A conversion is definitely possible (there are solutions to both the issues you mentioned), but I don't think I would be interested in playing one, let alone making one.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:41:08 »
as far as I know there is no way to make the new character glow white when going through a secret passage.
there is a way to make Juni glow green/teal-ish. :P (place a "secret"-block-object on the secrets, and give her the detector powerup. if I remember correctly.)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:42:18 »
as far as I know there is no way to make the new character glow white when going through a secret passage.
there is a way to make Juni glow green/teal-ish. :P (place a "secret"-block-object on the secrets, and give her the detector powerup. if I remember correctly.)

True, but the idea is to make juni glow to search for powerups. That part is not possible, unless one of the mods for KS can actually do this.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 13:40:45 »
It is possible if you place a shift on every floor tile that takes you to another screen with a CO of the light beam thing. But it would also require you to be insane.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 13:44:44 »
It is possible if you place a shift on every floor tile that takes you to another screen with a CO of the light beam thing. But it would also require you to be insane.

Be realistic here. It wouldn't work, because you don't have that many shifts. You can't place 4 different shifts next to you, and how are you triggering to go there once a key is activated?

Not even with millions of screens for one screen would one be able to get this to work. But then again, people have complained that the "show closest powerup" made the game too easy, so you could try to not add it...
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:48:30 »
True, but the idea is to make juni glow to search for powerups. That part is not possible, unless one of the mods for KS can actually do this.
The ship parts indicator isn't possible in my mod. Knytt is built as a single consistent map. In Knytt Stories only the screen you're on exists. This means that the ship parts don't exist unless you're on a screen that contains them, so programming something to point at things that don't exist is too much of a challenge/burden on performance. That said you could probably write lua scripts for use with GrayFace's KSEx mod that compare your current location to a list of ship part locations, and animate from there.

I don't have Knytt installed right now, but aren't the screen dimensions different? If so you'll have to compromise the layout on every screen. I really have to agree with Salmoneous and Sergiocornaga on this. It wouldn't be worth the effort.

... or just to have an excuse to play Knytt all over again. ...
Nifflas did make a modified version of Knytt. So, if you want a reason to play it again here it is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:53:16 by egomassive »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 19:26:48 »
the idea is to make juni glow to search for powerups.
uh, I don't think it is. 9_9
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 19:43:46 »
Be realistic here. It wouldn't work, because you don't have that many shifts. You can't place 4 different shifts next to you, and how are you triggering to go there once a key is activated?

Not even with millions of screens for one screen would one be able to get this to work. But then again, people have complained that the "show closest powerup" made the game too easy, so you could try to not add it...
I thought the "insane" part of my post would make it obvious that I was joking :P

But I agree that it wouldn't be worth the effort, unless there was some sort twist to it, maybe have Juni in an adventure connected to the one in Knytt, in the same world.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 15:42:02 »
Screen dimensions are the same. The conversion is possible in KS Ex, I think even the jump mechanics can be made almost the same as in Knytt, although I don't think anyone would like it being degraded to Knytt's one.

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~