• 63 Replies

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
Re: Betatesting time: Knyttlevels!
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2012, 00:49:53 »
Seems like Dreamhost is herping the derps again. All of my .htaccess files have acquired some additions.

Spoiler: Like so. (click to show/hide)
Needless to say, do not follow that link. :P

Has been fixed now, shall see at some point if it requires some extra action to make google realise it's not compromised anymore.

Doesn't have anything to do with the betatest-version though, it seems.

Related.

You may need to clear your browser cache for it to update. But should be sorted now.

Okay, might be out for a bit longer. It keeps regenerating the file. The error only happens if you access it via google, though.

Have got to the bottom of this. Bit more widespread than I thought, cleaning this may take a while.

Mmmmm, all-nighters. But I believe it's all sorted out. Have cleaned out close to a hundred files a few times over. But nothing has happened in the last half an hour. Will keep an eye on it a bit longer (presuming I don't do an instant pass-out soon)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:54:52 by J »
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2012, 08:01:00 »
Oh man, for the past few months I've only been coming to the forum to see if Knyttwadf beta testing had started yet, but I've been forgetting to look in this subforum.  Then today I was wondering "I wonder what ever happened to Knyttlevels.com..." so I came here to see if there was any news--and I see that I have missed getting in on a beta test (or at least the first round) of this site I've been eagerly waiting for for so long!  :ohnoes:

If it's not too late to apply to test, here is my info:

I started playing Knytt Stories right around when it came out, and I made a few small levels and tilesets at the time, but I was too perfectionist about my bigger levels and never finished them.  But despite never finishing and releasing them, I've spent countless hours over the years working on levels and tilesets, as well as playing other people's levels.  I also collaborated on a level called Paradise Last, and later released my section separately as The Forgotten Tower (my best finished KS achievement.)  I made one of the earliest areas for Knytt Experiment.  And I've beta tested FiNCK and am signed up to beta test Knyttwadf (whenever that happens.)

Besides all that, I've just really been looking forward to Knyttlevels.com all along.  I've always wanted a site with features like a rating system and a favorites system so that I could keep track of which KS levels I've played, which ones I've overlooked (i.e. which ones I haven't played but other people have rated high), and which ones are my favorites.  As soon as I have access to this site (whether or not it's during beta testing) I know I will spend hours playing and re-playing KS levels as a result!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:02:49 by back seat astronaut »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2012, 16:14:15 »
just realized that if the temporary KS level board will be deleted, i'll have to replace ≈70 links on youtube and in the tigsource lists. i'd like to selfishly suggest to keep it but forbid starting new topics in it
I like this idea.  On top of that, eeeeeeeveryone would have to repost their levels to Knyttlevels, which would be taxing for the server, I'd bet, and a lot of people that are away (like myself, just happenstance that I decided to reply >.>) won't bother uploading to Knyttlevels and the only way to get said level will disappear, just like that.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2012, 17:51:15 »
I disagree. The fact that the board was only temporary was announced when it was made in the first place. So if you'll have to replace links and stuff, that's really your own fault. :/
Also this will give levels that are in the board now an unfair advertisement advantage.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 18:00:47 »
I disagree. The fact that the board was only temporary was announced when it was made in the first place. So if you'll have to replace links and stuff, that's really your own fault. :/
Also this will give levels that are in the board now an unfair advertisement advantage.

Your faith is admirable, but when a "temporary" label sticks around for two years, with promises of an updated archive for a game half a decade old, I think people can be forgiven for taking it with a grain of salt. Also, "an unfair advertisement advantage" is a poor justification for the deletion of over 6000 posts and the resulting linkrot.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 18:11:52 »
I also don't agree with the board being deleted, although it is very clear that it was only temporary, it is A LOT of information to be simply thrown away.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2012, 19:17:20 »
You can agree or disagree, but this has already been determined. At some point in the future, the forum part will be gone. Not directly, and it will be made read only, but it will be gone.

We have had a forum crash where we lost a whole lot of levels, and yeah, its a shame, but it happened too.

I agree that the level archive should've been finished sooner, but well, I don't control life the way I sometimes wish so I could give myself more time to do certain stuff.

So its not debatable whether we'll keep the forum indefinitely as some kind of archive after the level archive has been released.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2012, 00:57:20 »
and it will be made read only
So...exactly what me and Ortoslon said above? :o

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2012, 01:33:08 »
Mmmmm, all-nighters. But I believe it's all sorted out. Have cleaned out close to a hundred files a few times over. But nothing has happened in the last half an hour. Will keep an eye on it a bit longer (presuming I don't do an instant pass-out soon)
*gives a star*

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2012, 09:00:12 »
and it will be made read only
So...exactly what me and Ortoslon said above? :o

At first, yeah... but lateron in that same post, I mention that it will not be kept online indefinitely. So at some point in the future the board will be removed.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2012, 16:56:56 »
*Trying to think of the right thing to do with the forum *

Saying "your own fault" means "you should have done something else", while in reality there was no other place to link to.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2012, 01:12:37 »

Saying "your own fault" means "you should have done something else", while in reality there was no other place to link to.
Kinda have to agree here. How exactly would it be our own fault?

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 22:08:04 »

Kinda have to agree here. How exactly would it be our own fault?
I guess I should've phrased that differently. I meant that if you make a post in a temporary forum, you should have expected this. But there was indeed no other option.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2012, 11:48:42 »
How goes the work? I'm curious about the new archive  :D.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2012, 13:08:03 »
There are still a few things we need to finish before we can release it to the public. Unfortunately life sometimes takes away our precious free time and that gave us that it takes longer than I want.

MODPlug Central Forum