Betatesting time: Knyttlevels!

• 63 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Betatesting time: Knyttlevels!
« on: April 08, 2012, 17:26:13 »
Once upon a time...
When we were still young and fresh, I started on revamping the knyttstories.com level archive.

The project seemed to big to do alone, and I've gotten help along the way from Looki and later from Gaiacarra, who I both thank greatly for their help.

As you might suspect at this very moment, the level page is near its completion, and that means that it'll be time for the first beta anywhere soon.

We have still a few things on our to-do list, so it might very well take another few weeks before the beta starts.

So that makes it easier for me to get a list of potential betatesters.

Nifflas uses a first come, first get for beta testing, but for this particular project, I will look for knytt stories involvement too.

Applying...
Now, if you're still reading, that means you're interested to become a betatester. Great!

Please reply to this topic and while you do so, tell me what you have done with Knytt Stories before. Have you made levels? Have you played levels? How good are you in both playing and creating levels? Are there any other skillsets you think I should know about that may help in the betatesting?

So please leave a message. I will check the topic and in a few weeks when we have put the last items on our to-do lists in the system, I'll announce here that I've selected the betatesters. Betatesters will then get a PM from me with instructions on how to get in.

If I don't select you for the beta, don't worry. I might invite a second series after a week to see more testing done.

I hope to hear from you. :)

Oh, and if I select you as a tester, I'll give each of you a star on the reply you make here. :)

Edit: changed GaiaCarra to Gaiacarra. Sorry. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 20:12:23 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Re: Betatesting time: Knyttlevels!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 17:53:54 »
I dunno if anyone even remembers the thread I made here last summer asking if there was a project for a better level archive. Really I should've done this like in September of last year so sorry about that.

Anyway the to-do list is shrinking every day and at this point it's just got a couple of non-essential features on it, which should be done within about a week like LPChip said.

for the record LPChip and Looki did 90% of the work, I've just been adding features like editing comments and making the level review system work properly

(also you capitalized my name wrong)

(actually just call me Gaia or even Jack)

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 19:10:18 »
Oh oh! I'd like to apply!
As for experience with KS, I've played a lot of levels and made a few, and I guess I'm decent enough at both.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 20:45:48 »
This is great news! I hope somehow the new archive will also attract some more people to KS. Having a dozen levels to my credit and having tested quite a few for other people, I wish I could apply for betatesting, but I won't have any internet access for the next two weeks or so  <_< Eh. Anyway, good luck with the testing process and may the final release come soon!  :)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 21:22:57 »
I won't have any internet access for the next two weeks or so
Testing most likely won't start that soon. So if you're interested after that, check the forum and see if I've announced the go, and if I haven't tell me. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 21:39:37 »
Testing most likely won't start that soon. So if you're interested after that, check the forum and see if I've announced the go, and if I haven't tell me. :)

Yay!  :D I'll keep my fingers crossed! Thanks!

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 00:26:19 »
So let's hope everybody will appreciate the new site :) I'm happy to see it's nearing its completion - I myself am not really working on the site right now, I'm barely getting my own stuff done.  :oops: It will definitely be a lot nicer to use than the current site, some cool features that LPChip has already hinted at in the past, if I remember correctly.
Good luck finishing the site, I'm eager to see people fill it with content!

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:46:19 »
May i beta test?

I have made Three Levels. Two Being Quite Large while Two quite Small. Not the best with Aesthetics but i have made a few custom tilesets and make sure there are no SGE's in my levels. Most of the Difficulties of my Levels are Lunatic! As for Played Levels, I have Played quite a few levels. I played some Lunatic Levels or Anything Challenging. Also played the Occasional Environmental Level. I have also beta tested a few levels...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:48:24 by PeppyHare4000 »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:18:04 »
Thought about this for a while, and I would like to help with this.
I have made the levels in my signature, and every now and then play a new one, because it helps me improve my level design skills.
I should probably mention that I was a Beta tester for the game "Mari0", which is a sort of popular project. You can see my nickname in the credits here: http://stabyourself.net/mari0/credits/

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:49:57 »
I have known Knytt Stories for three years (Please don't kill if my english is bad :oops:). Now I'm working at my first level "The Tower of Lightning" (I have done other two levels, but I'm not going to show them 8)). There is 1GB levels on my computer (About 240 levels  :shocked:). I would like to be betatester Can I be a betatester?  C)p.
PS: I forgot to say, that new level arhive is great project, and I have a lot of ideas how to change it ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 16:29:44 by ixMarcel »

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 20:10:36 »
I'd like to apply too, but alas I've never had the patience to create levels of my own.  I'm too much of a perfectionist that I'd never be happy with my creations!

That being said, I'm critical of aesthetics and meticulous at trying every permutation to unearth glitches even though I've never beta-tested before (real life has never granted me the time).

In terms of creative skill, I would be good at creating levels but there's just no point (considering there are many excellent level makers who already do so).  However in terms of platforming ability, I'm well above average - let's just say super meat boy's golden god achievement was a walk in the park!

EDIT:  I forgot to mention, I played KS The Machine when it was first released and have subsequently enjoyed a few more, but when I came back to the game some years later there were SO many user-created levels that I just couldn't be bothered working my way through them.  I suppose this would be a good opportunity to do just that!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 20:15:14 by Zelakon »

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 05:14:46 »
I'm applying for beta test!
I've co-made one level, and made 1 video of a level.
I'm a complete noob.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 09:22:56 »
I would like to apply for the beta test  :)
I developed KSDS, made the level "Colors", and... although I am no more a member of this community I would be happy to help  ;)

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 09:59:13 »
I made some levels: On the Tree Top, The Planet of Monsters and The Knytt World, Pixeled and other.
I was not active for a long time, but I still would to apply for the beta test.