Epic Knytt Making Fail - an update on my knytt making

• 8 Replies

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Epic Knytt Making Fail - an update on my knytt making
« on: March 31, 2012, 15:33:59 »
On my last release post, White City, I alluded to a level I was working on that was something like 30% done.  Well... it and all my other unreleased work appears to be fubared.  It was really dumb how it happened: I use to have a second knytt directory for some reason that I never used.  A few weeks ago I was clearing up space and I saw what I thought was that extra knytt directory.  I looked in it quickly, it seemed unused, so I deleted it.  Recently I went looking for my knytt directory, and gasp of gasps, I couldn't find it.  I had deleted my actual knytt directory, not the extra.   :sick: :sick: :sick:

There is a slight chance some of my old work is on an older computer, but I doubt it.  This in some ways is a relief because most of my work was for big epic levels that I really don't think I'll ever get done at this point in my life.  That means I'm free to make small and simple levels which I am more likely to make. 

So, that is the state of knytting affairs for headgrinder.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: Epic Knytt Making Fail - an update on my knytt making
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 15:36:05 »
Well, that's pretty terrible, you have my condolences! Definitely consider running recovery software on the drive / folder you deleted it from as it may still be salvageable!

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 22:33:25 »
I tried your suggestion and ran a program called Recuva, with no success.  I think it took me too long to discover my mistake and I've since deleted too many other things. 

I did find a few very early designs for a previous epic level I abandoned, but nothing for the level I had 30% done.  :sick:

Oh well.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 22:47:55 »
Oh man, that's sad  :moody:

Still, you managed to make it look less sad by mentioning small and simple levels you're likely to make. Eh? :-)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 23:02:16 »
Good news is that the loss has somehow made me ambitious enough to start work on a new short level.  :) 

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 17:44:00 »
A similar thing happened to me with Heroes 3. I had h3clean folder in which I copied the game and tried to clean some mess I made while modding the original. Then I got rid of it and did a clean H3 install instead and made some progress playing Armageddon's Blade campaign. Then I ran out of space and Shift+Deleted the folder that I thought was a useless half-clean version of my H3 folder.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 17:51:43 »
A similar thing happened to me with Heroes 3. I had h3clean folder in which I copied the game and tried to clean some mess I made while modding the original. Then I got rid of it and did a clean H3 install instead and made some progress playing Armageddon's Blade campaign. Then I ran out of space and Shift+Deleted the folder that I thought was a useless half-clean version of my H3 folder.
shift deleting is a curse, I remember loosing a bunch of stuff a few months after discovering it (this was quite a few years ago) because for some reason I shift-deleted everything instead of regular deleting stuff. Going back to normal was like quitting smoking :(

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:48:40 »
I had something similar to me some time ago.
My Knytt Stories editor wasn't working for some reason, so I decided to reinstall my Knytt Stories folder completely and made a back-up of all the levels I'd made and played. However, after I had reinstalled, I realised I had forgotten where I put the backup folder and the editor still wasn't working >_<

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:05:18 »
That's a pathetic excuse for a fail! I permanently broke my previous laptop by accidentally deleting a piece of vital software when trying to delete the game it was next to in the directory.

I know your pain, friend. :(