The Knytt Encyclopedia

• 12 Replies

Offline Denis

• I am the law only for my kind.
    • View Profile
The Knytt Encyclopedia
« on: March 04, 2012, 19:10:23 »
This topic is to define once and for all the aspects of the knytt world. Some atempts have been taken, but they were unorganised. Post here your guesses about any aspect of knytt life you want: fauna, progress, origins, science, anatomy etc. Then we will compress it into one single file.

Came up whith an idea? Share with the forum!
Son of prometheus

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: The Knytt Encyclopedia
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:36:11 »
I dunno, one of the things I like about Knytt Stories is how undefined most of the world is. Nobody has to fit their levels in with whatever somebody else has decided as "canon," and I'm pretty cool with that. A little speculation and such is nice, but don't go too far with it.

Offline Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:13:33 »
<sigh> OK. You win. Dropping you a  :hiddenstar: Let the world be unidentified. I was merely inspired by Codex Seraphinianus. Nice book, very rare, but unreadable. The language is made-up, so the main point of the book is wierd illustrations.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:18:33 by Denis »
Son of prometheus

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:18:08 »
I prefer to think of Knytt Stories levels as representing more of a mythos, stories being handed down with Juni as a popular / recurring figure. Inconsistencies and ambiguities surrounding the Knytt world don't really matter in this case, in fact I'd argue they add flavour. But I'll still be very interested to see what you and others come up with!

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 21:13:30 »
Toast is everywhere.

Offline Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:02:39 »
What do you mean?
Son of prometheus

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:32:01 »
It's an aspect of the Knytt world. A Knytt In Time, The Dying Core, and probably some other levels as well have Toasts scattered around the place in well-hidden areas. I think Toast might be edible, but I'm not sure. Anyway, is that the sort of thing you were looking for?

Offline Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:48:54 »
Not quite. I ment something like this:

Part one: why knytts puff.
Many people tried to answer that question until a massive investigation was started in 1990. Its results were unexpected. It turned out that knytts evolved from deep-sea fish which, having felt danger, increased the pressure of their body. Originaly the danger was submerging too deep, now it is physical contact whith something unpleasent. The ambience has changed, the defence sistem stayed the same. But, no matter how ironic, an increase of body pressure for a knytt is fatal. When a knytt touches spikes or something else, he or she explodes. That is why knytts puff.

Realistic, isnt it?
Son of prometheus

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 04:30:03 »
No. Just no. That explanation makes no sense and doesn't match with anything I've ever seen in any levels. A defence mechanism that instantly destroys you while doing zero damage to the enemy is completely pointless, there's no reason for Knytts to have kept one minor aspect of their fishy ancestors while undergoing the major changes needed to walk on land (and double-jump), and if the knytt are descended from fish then why can't they swim?

(Though if you put this explanation in one of your levels, I'll think it's funny and not question it.)

Going slightly more meta, only Juni ever "puffs", and only when she dies during gameplay, not in a cutscene. Judging by a few hints in the text of The Machine, the Knytt Stories are actually meant to be stories, the sort that young Knytt tell when gathered around a campfire. And the story doesn't end until Juni turns off the machine, or wakes up from her dream, or whatever it is the story is about. Certainly Juni can't die during the story - if she did, there wouldn't be any other stories. So I think the "puff" is the visual representation of the storyteller saying "I've lost track of where I was going with this, let me start over".

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 15:59:30 »
Honestly, I'm not sure but that this is a lost cause at this point, at least if you are trying to make it congruous with the various knytt story levels that have been made.  In fact, lots of knytt story levels ask the viewer, directly or indirectly to forget all about knytts and just enjoy the level for what it is. 

But, it could still be a fun project.  It would just be hard to come to an agreement.  Maybe just make a knytt level which acts as an encyclopedia in some fun way. 

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 15:55:08 »
I just discovered this thread, which has a lot in common with Denis' original proposal.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 16:39:45 »
I just discovered this thread, which has a lot in common with Denis' original proposal.
I think he posted in that thread before making this one, but it's hard to confirm that today :P

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 04:23:27 »
I think he posted in that thread before making this one, but it's hard to confirm that today :P
You're correct! Now that everyone isn't Nifflas, I can see that this topic was made mere minutes after Denis posted in the other one. It also turns out "discovered" was more like "rediscovered".