[Puzzle Platformer] Mari0 (Super Mario Bros. and Portal crossover)

• 5 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile

Official page / Download: http://stabyourself.net/mari0/
Trailer: http://youtu.be/SaoHMjS04vU

This game got some attention when the first details were announced, and it is now released and ready for download.
The basic concept is that it mixes the original Super Mario Bros. by Nintendo with the game Portal by Valve. The developers worked really hard to make the game feel as closely as possible to the original SMB, while retaining a completely new physics engine, and they managed to do it pretty well

A few months ago, there was an art contest where 7 people gained access to the beta version of this game, and my entry actually made it as one of the winners. After that, some of the winners actually helped out the devs a lot with all the bugs, and it has really been a nice experience.
The main dev liked the puzzle levels I made so much, that he included them in the final game :) So if you're interested, the levels I made are 1-4, 2-1, 2-3 e 2-4 in the Portal map pack.

Unfortunately, the release was very rushed (seriously, we were still reporting and fixing bugs 2 hours before release) and so many people have problems, bugs and crashes. And 2 of my levels (1-4 and 2-1) are actually the most problematic ones, but it's not really my fault, everything worked fine in previous versions, just the updates broke it.

I think it's funny that I made my "Aperture Science" level here and then went to make levels in that game, I was the only beta tester that made levels good enough for the final game, maybe because I already had practiced my "method" in KS :P My method actually consists in putting random stuff in there until suddenly I come up with something that can be used in a puzzle, that's the only way I can make puzzle maps :|

Anyway, hope you guys have a look at it.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
nice game, but way too difficult... :P

I keep wanting to kill the coopas using a portal so I place a portal that will put them directly into a gap, and when I then want to portal a new one, I keep putting one under me and thus die :P

Nice game though, I need some practice.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
THERE IS A RAINBOW DASH HAT.

:]

It is a bit difficult to juggle this many controls at once, though. I found it easier to move with a controller, but harder to get my portals exactly where I needed them.

It's still, fun, though, just takes some getting used to.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Yeah it can be a little tough at first, but I had no problem adapting.
Turns out I'm contributing eve more for this by redesigning the hats so that they show in big Mario, it should be on the next version. That Rainbow Dash hat was a pain.

By the way, not sure if you're aware of this, but there is a "Cheats" menu, that aren't really cheats, just silly things you unlock after completing the game (or after using a "secret" code), and one of them is "Sonic Boom", which once enabled kills all enemies on screen after you do an infinite fall and through yourself to the sky with the force of that fall. It will make a colorful rainbow-like "boom" effect and when you fall down you will have the rainbow dash hat :P

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: [Puzzle Platformer] Mari0 (Super Mario Bros. and Portal crossover)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 13:54:42 »
Here is a picture of Nifflas playing the Special Edition of Mari0 at Gamescon  C)

Offline Santicol

• Knytt is awesome, and that's all I got to say.
    • View Profile
Re: [Puzzle Platformer] Mari0 (Super Mario Bros. and Portal crossover)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 17:23:11 »
OMG, Nifflas went to the Gamescon?! Awesome. I can't wait till' Stabyourself.net releases Mari0: Special Edition officially. 
PC Specs
Processor: AMD A8-3520M (Equivalent to a i5 Intel Core)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6620G
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
RAM: 5.6 GB