Synthesizing sound effects

• 7 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Synthesizing sound effects
« on: March 04, 2012, 13:56:21 »
I usually find my sound effects on multiple websites, but it-s really hard to come across that one perfect sound for what I want, and some of the sounds in my mind feel like they would be simple to synthesize, except I have no idea of any software that can do that. So what I need is something that can make some sound effects without me needing to record anything, not sure if that even makes sense. Any suggestions?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Synthesizing sound effects
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 14:28:29 »
Use a sequencer or tracker, and use VSTi's to synthesize the sounds you're after. Thats how I do it too.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 14:29:49 »
Use a sequencer or tracker, and use VSTi's to synthesize the sounds you're after. Thats how I do it too.
I totally would, if I knew what any of those words mean.
Does this mean I'm not qualified for the job?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 14:32:42 »
I totally would, if I knew what any of those words mean.
Does this mean I'm not qualified for the job?

No, it just means you need to do a bit of research. :)

A sequencer or a tracker are music programs. A few examples of sequencers: EnergyXT, Fruitty Loops, Reason, Cakewalk, Sonar, Ableton, etc... A few examples of trackers: OpenMPT, Renoise, MilkyTracker, etc...

A VSTi is a little plugin that will make any sound by tweaking knobs. To get some free VSTi's, you can visit http://kvraudio.com. They have hundreds of free VSTi's.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 14:34:13 »
I was hoping it would be much simpler, I guess I'll give FL a shoot again.
Thanks for the help :)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:04:47 »
OK... So I know my way around FL Studio, at least enough for what I want to do I think (I used it before), but having a hard time getting the VSTi's. I tried a few but they were never what I was looking for.
For instance, I wanna make some woosh effects for weird transitions, what would you suggest?

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:09:36 »
I would first like to say that I am no expert at this sort of thing.

I think the way which it would be best to try and make the sound fx depends on what sort of sound effects you want. If you want distorted "retro" sound effects like those in cave story, it might be an idea to learn how to use some sort of synthesizer software. From here you can choose a wave form such as triangle or sine, and modify it with LFOs and the like. You can get some pretty diverse sound fx from experimenting with synthesizers!

A second option, which could be used, would be to use already existing VSTi instruments. The best example I can think of atm is the "Peach" and "Toad" VSTis, which are SNES instrument and drum emulators respectively. Especially the "Peach" VST, which I have used before, would be invaluable for making 8-bit sounding fx. There are probably many VSTs, which may be designed for making sound effects.

Finally, if you want "realistic" sounding effects, you could download or record actual sounds, then edit them with audacity. One website which is really good for this is freesound.org.

Just my 2 cents, good luck  :)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 18:57:51 »
In reply to now deleted post(s):

This topic is very recent so you can follow the suggestions already given.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 00:49:54 by Miss Paula »