Hiddenstar awards and new forums

• 51 Replies

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: Hiddenstar awards and new forums
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 13:25:33 »
You're also implying that people would make good posts on the sole basis of getting stars for it.
I don't think what the problem is with that. after all, we do want people to post stuff with great content. so encouraging them to do so is quite precisely the whole purpose of this new system.
I think a lot of people will give out stars like nothing because they can.
actually, I wish they would. ;) meaning to say that the system is not exactly horribly actively used, so really there is no problem with any sort of star-spamming so far.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 09:26:07 »
I think any limit whatsoever instils a sort of moral conduct on giving. I think the same effect would come from a 30-minute period as would a full day-period.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 10:46:48 »
Is there a way for us to know where hidden stars come from and why? Since they're called "hidden stars" it only seems appropriate that they be anonymous by default, but I'd like to know their origins. I've seen only a few open award givings so far. I imagine we're going through a period of stars being awarded for past accomplishments, and it would be a poor idea to resurrect dead threads just for hidden star issues. I think there should be a thread where our reasons for giving hidden stars can be exposed. (e.g. I award an HS to Miss Paula for being a female.)

Also, I've accumulated a few stars myself --for reasons unknown-- and I was wondering where one might look for hidden forums once one has gathered enough luminosity to see them.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 11:02:16 »
Well if you wanna know I think i gave you a star in your mod thread :P

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 09:43:44 »
Is there a way for us to know where hidden stars come from and why? Since they're called "hidden stars" it only seems appropriate that they be anonymous by default, but I'd like to know their origins. I've seen only a few open award givings so far. I imagine we're going through a period of stars being awarded for past accomplishments, and it would be a poor idea to resurrect dead threads just for hidden star issues. I think there should be a thread where our reasons for giving hidden stars can be exposed. (e.g. I award an HS to Miss Paula for being a female.)

Also, I've accumulated a few stars myself --for reasons unknown-- and I was wondering where one might look for hidden forums once one has gathered enough luminosity to see them.

People wanted to know who gave them stars, and now you can find out!

At the top of the page there now is a new button that can look like this: if you're using the Knytt Edition skin.

You obviously need to be logged in to press the button, but when you are and you click it, you can actually see who gave you stars.

There's one thing to note: In the beginning, the log wasn't properly maintained, and as such a few entries are missing. If you find in the log that you gave yourself a star or two, then this is because I added bogus entries. You can see that they have a date of 1970 too. Its just so the log gives you the same amount of results as the amount of stars that were given to you because someone pressed the up arrow.

Enjoy. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:13 »
Yep, and if you're one of the more rebellious folks who use alternative skins, you'll find the button on the top as well - it's always after the Profile button!

I was wondering where one might look for hidden forums once one has gathered enough luminosity to see them.

Rumor goes that people with general, creative thinking will have an easier time finding those boards, when the time comes. ;)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 15:17:35 »
I'm really glad you guys implemented this.   I think it will be a positive incentive to post good content, which I have no problem with.  I think we all need incentives.  I'm also just glad to see improvements being made to the forum.  So thanks and good good job!

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 01:20:24 »
Love the idea and implementation. It's just I see a slight misfortune for former forum-goers.

*leaves forum with 15 :hiddenstar:
*comes back to find   
Total :hiddenstar: : 1
   :(
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 17:01:43 »
Love the idea and implementation. It's just I see a slight misfortune for former forum-goers.

*comes back to find   

If someone goes, its their decision. If they return and not use their old nick, well... We can't really do anything about that.
So thats up to them. I doubt someone will care for their stars if they decide to leave though...

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Yoeri

• Normality is relative
    • View Profile
    • Bumper's business
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 20:04:16 »

*comes back to find   

If someone goes, its their decision. If they return and not use their old nick, well... We can't really do anything about that.
So thats up to them. I doubt someone will care for their stars if they decide to leave though...
I think he meant people who used to keep count of their stars before this was implemented.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 04:42:35 »
Actually the person to whom I was referring was myself.

Once you have a handful of the shiny stuff, good things will happen. Rumors go about a couple of hidden forums, no topic restrictions, ...
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:23 »
Actually the person to whom I was referring was myself.

Once you have a handful of the shiny stuff, good things will happen. Rumors go about a couple of hidden forums, no topic restrictions, ...

Well, we have only recently implemented stars, and stars given as a gesture are not carried into it, simply because people gave stars for other reasons than posts (it was unofficial anyway). If you however plan to leave the forum in the future and you come back later, your current account should still be here.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline BeamishBoy

• And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    • View Profile
    • Ball With Hat
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 06:00:49 »
Just wanted to say that, after an absurdly long lurking period, the addition of Hidden Stars (and the promised hidden forum) was something that pulled me into membership (along with other factors). I'm happy to see that this already tight-knit community is still changing and improving.

Hi all!  X-P
BeamishBoy

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 09:16:43 »
Nice to see that these additions seems to be a good reason for lurkers to actually become active. :)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 12:42:42 »
Yeah for insensitives!

Edit: That should say incentives.