Hiddenstar awards and new forums

• 51 Replies

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Hiddenstar awards and new forums
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:33:15 »
You might have noticed some changes under your name in posts. Yep, awarding :hs: became official! :)

When you find a post so awesome that it's worthy of a :hs:, click the arrow below the poster's name and they'll have one more star under their belt. Same goes for you: make a star-worthy topic and watch those :hs: pieces accumulate.

Once you have a handful of the shiny stuff, good things will happen. Rumors go about a couple of hidden forums, no topic restrictions, gorgeous slaves and plenty of booze. Not sure about the last two, but hey, now you have a way to find it all out! ;)

Oh, and there is a six-hour limit on giving stars to the same poster, to prevent abuse. Not that anyone would do that, right? There is such a thing as too much at once:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:46:18 by SiamJai »

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
Re: Hiddenstar awards and new forums
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 13:24:23 »
Nice job, staff. It's actually a shame the hidden stars were never official anyway. ;)

We'll have to wait to find out if this eases some of the frustration of a quiet forum, but either way, I personally am pleased to see this, although I can't quite comment on the new extras. :P2

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 13:52:15 »
Great job, much more productive than using post count as a measure.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 14:30:05 »
You see, we actually do read every suggestion and evaluate. This was a really good suggestion. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 00:30:00 »
Very nice, indeed. It's funny that we've had this thing of awarding stars to each other for years and until recently nobody thought of actually implementing that officially. Thank you, Staff!

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59:00 »
Oh, that's only because we have a lovely woman full of expressive imagination in our midst! C) If it was only up to us cold-rational guys, this could've ended up called "karma_label_v1.101final". :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:03:32 by SiamJai »

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:27:57 »
Oh, that's only because we have a lovely woman full of expressive imagination in our midst! C) If it was only up to us cold-rational guys, this could've ended up called "karma_label_v1.101final". :P

Hey, I suggested calling it Respect! :nuts:

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:34:00 »
Very nice  :^^:
What about side account abuse? Can you still give stars for things like Paula receiving one for being a girl?
Edit:
I'm almost tempted to make funny spam in order to get stars...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:52:20 by Dj Gopher »

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 06:09:00 »
What about side account abuse? Can you still give stars for things like Paula receiving one for being a girl?

We have ways of telling alt-account abuse and other shady tricks, so no worries (or worries, depending on your intention :P).

Star-worthiness is in the eye of the beholder, although ideally they reward post content. Can't blame you for falling for feminine charms though! :shifty: (oh and I'm wearing a pink shirt today...)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:01:59 by SiamJai »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 13:45:16 »
oh you! so flattering :hs:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:59 »
Dang, nice idea. Guess I should take the stars out of my signature now, eh? ...Good bye my pretties.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:26:49 »
6 hours is not enough, make it a week. That way when people give a star it's really sincere and not for nothing.
Nah. We carefully weighted how much time it takes. If someone makes several good posts in a row, that person would get punished because of a long wait time.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 08:51:27 »
If someone makes several good posts in a row, that person would get punished because of a long wait time.

Punished? Weird way to put it. You're also implying that people would make good posts on the sole basis of getting stars for it.
I still think 6 hours is too short time. I think a lot of people will give out stars like nothing because they can.
There will be a thing, give out 1 or 2 stars every day and since this forum isn't that active it will not work people will just be sitting on a lot of stars that don't mean anything in the end.
And I don't think this is good for the forum in any way other than some people will make a competition out of it. I think that will do more harm than good. Since it will work as some sort of value system, when you don't get stars you will feel worthless and maybe leave forum.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12:39 »
If someone makes several good posts in a row, that person would get punished because of a long wait time.

Punished? Weird way to put it. You're also implying that people would make good posts on the sole basis of getting stars for it.
I still think 6 hours is too short time. I think a lot of people will give out stars like nothing because they can.
There will be a thing, give out 1 or 2 stars every day and since this forum isn't that active it will not work people will just be sitting on a lot of stars that don't mean anything in the end.
And I don't think this is good for the forum in any way other than some people will make a competition out of it. I think that will do more harm than good. Since it will work as some sort of value system, when you don't get stars you will feel worthless and maybe leave forum. For a forum administration that carefully weight everything you don't take many things into consideration.

I still disagree with you. We really have considered this and we take many things into consideration. And although I really do not have to explain myself, I'll do it if that makes you feel better.

The idea of giving stars is not for competition sake but for rewards. Since this is the reason, we do monitor the log actively. When we see abuse, we can and will correct it. I made sure that we can see who gives a star to who and what the content is that it was given on. And if we see that indeed there is too much abuse (which hasn't been the case so far) then we can change the time setting.

So: no. People thus far haven't given out stars because they can. The posts stars were given to are indeed posts that would deserve a star. But if you don't like the idea of giving out stars, then just don't give out stars. Its not an obligation.

Just know, if things go the wrong way, we will see it and deal with it. We can even prevent people from giving stars if we have to.

MODPlug Central Forum