[Enviromental] [Easy] [Small] A Quick One

• 6 Replies

Offline Healy

• View Profile
[Enviromental] [Easy] [Small] A Quick One
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:38:22 »
Here's a little level I've just finished. It's called A Quick One, and the title is fairly indicative of how long it takes to finish it.

Something you should keep in mind as you play the level: I noticed that I've mostly relied on signs to carry the narrative in my Knytt Stories, so I tried to do away with as much of that as I could in this one. There are only about three signs in the entire level, and the rest of the text is contained in the intro and end parts. I'm not sure I succeeded in telling a clear story here, though. It was an interesting experiment, but I don't know if I'll ever repeat it again.

(Download it here)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:35:14 by Healy »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Enviromental] [Easy] [Small] A Quick One
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:33:44 »
I like it. I found the exact nature of the story / scandal ambiguous, but the basics are communicated wordlessly well enough. As long as you weren't aiming for more detail than that, I'd call it a success. However, I've gotta say, the dialogue is usually one of my favourite parts of your levels, so I don't mind if this turns out to be a one-off experiment.

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:36:22 »
Thanks for the kind words. The story's supposed to be a little ambiguous, but there is some nuance I'm worried I didn't make clear. And yeah, I don't think I'll give up on dialogue heavy levels anytime soon, but I might try out a few more wordless levels, who knows.

Offline Al

• Video Games. Stronghold of our imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 22:20:07 »
Hi Healy

I've played you level trough and and i liked it.

It was a well tought and beautyful environement. you didn't fail to tell the story however personally think it could have used a little more developpment. I will not miss to play your other levels,
the dialogue is usually one of my favourite parts of your levels.
I'm looking foward to that

And thanks a lot for you help on my (Flight mountain) level you saved me a lot of time searching. Flight mountain won't be finished soon but in the other hand my other level "Don't you feel chased?" is near 50% done, it will be finished 1-3 weeks. I hope you try it and give me some feedback too :).

Edit: Well now i've played some of them and i must say that they are all extremely georgous levels
the only down side is that thay are way way way way way TOO SHORT!!   I can't wait to see you make a long or medium level it would be awesome
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:01:50 by Al »
Sorry for my lame English (French, Canada).

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:25:28 »
Yeah, the closest I've ever gotten to a really big level was A Day at the Beach. Have you played that one yet? Other than that, there's the upcoming Oh Man Go Time: Gaiden, which will be one of my biggest levels, if I ever finish it.

Offline Al

• Video Games. Stronghold of our imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 03:49:53 »
I hope you'll finish it I want to be the first want to try it:). Or maybe i could be your beta tester if u need one (i worked as video game tester at Beenox canada) . Anyway please finish it, i'm sure it will as pretty as you others level if not much ;)
Sorry for my lame English (French, Canada).

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 23:03:09 »
I was surprised to see such variety in a level you pitched as a small and quick one  :) I enjoyed playing this, and the city was very nicely made - large and proper.