Vestiges tileset - night version added!

• 6 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Vestiges tileset - night version added!
« on: February 22, 2012, 15:10:25 »
Vestiges is a tileset I made for Rainy Day Adventure. Later, I was inspired to make subtle seasonal variations on the tileset. Even later, I was asked by Talps to create a night version of the tileset for I Chased the Moon. Now all those tilesets are collected here, for you to use in your levels as you see fit.

Tileset1 - Autumn - Example screen designed by Polana, appears in Many islands.

Tileset2 - Summer - Example screen designed by me, appears in Rainy Day Adventure.

Tileset3 - Winter - Example screen originally designed by Healy for Rainy Day Adventure, modified to use Winter tileset.

Tileset4 - Spring - Example screen originally designed by me for Rainy Day Adventure, modified to use Spring tileset.

Tileset5 - Night - Example screen designed by Talps, appears in I Chased the Moon.

Please note that only tilesets 1, 2 and 4 are completely compatible. Tileset3 replaces some of the original tiles to allow for snow. Tileset5 replaces some of the original tiles with an expanded set of midground rock tiles.

I picked the name Vestiges because I planned to include some crumbling ruins, but I ran out of room. Let's pretend it refers to the various rock formations which vaguely look like they were once ancient and mysterious structures.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:24:53 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Al

• Video Games. Stronghold of our imagination
    • View Profile
Re: Vestiges - Tileset by Sergio Cornaga
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 16:39:07 »
Very nice tileset. It looks very versatile and detailled. Is it already for public use?
Sorry for my lame English (French, Canada).

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Vestiges - Tileset by Sergio Cornaga
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 00:00:57 »
Looks terrific. The way you used it with the ground filling the crevices gives it a very ancient and grown over feel. The textures are great, lots of detail but repeating patterns aren't obvious. If I were to criticize anything it would be that the middle-distant tiles are mirrored, but with 2012 games to produce I'm surprised to see this much effort put into a single asset.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: Vestiges tileset - night version added!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 15:59:07 »
2012-03-11: Thanks for the compliments, all. The tileset is indeed available for public use now. However, based on how I've seen others using it I made some slight modifications.

In the new version of Tileset1 the collision detection for the rocky walls in the bottom left is a bit better; it's possible for Juni to walk up some like slopes and so on. There's also an alternate version, Tileset2, with a slightly warmer colour palette and more flowers. You'll see why I made this when you play the collaborative level, Rainy Day Adventure. For those interested the level is currently complete, I'm just waiting a bit for confirmation from other collaborators that there aren't any horrible issues before I make a thread for it here!

2012-04-14: At Healy's request, there is now a Winter version of the tileset. A few more tiles were needed to accommodate the snow, so four of the least useful tiles have been replaced.

2012-04-28: I was inspired to round out the set and make a Spring version of the tileset. I have also condensed my three update posts into this single post and moved all tilesets into the first post.

2013-01-28: Updated thread to include night version and example screenshots taken from existing levels. Polana, Healy, Talps, lemme know if you're not OK with this!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 16:23:22 »
I'm totally OK with it !  :hiddenstar:

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:09:00 »
Yeah, I'm okay with it too.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 13:07:17 »
I'm ok with it too!  XD  Nice job Serg.  I'm very tempted to find a use for this soon...