The Tree of Knowledge [challenge/normal/large]

• 178 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: The Tree of Knowledge [challenge/normal/large]
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2013, 00:08:15 »
... Obviously a second complimentary set might be required to overcome your collision problem. You've made such sets for everyone else; now make one for yourself! :P
I'm making secondary sets for every main set. Main sets should have everything needed to design a screen allowing smooth transitions between main regions. Once inside a region, secondary sets add additional details. The problem I'm having with the rocky cave set is there's no room for distant backgrounds, decor, etc. Also, The shading isn't good enough. I'm afraid good shading will take a lot more room.

Anyway, I've added more detail, changed the colors, and switched to the dark borders seen in most areas of the level.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2013, 13:23:07 »
That background gradient definitely needs changing now! I'd suggest something a lot greyer. Maybe do a variety of gradients which work in distant background style details that can be seen through gaps in the tiles.

You could use custom objects instead of tiles for some details. Try to justify it to yourself by having subtly glowing crystals, or huge fossils, stuff like that.

A 24x24 texture or pattern over the tiles might make it look less flat (though it could also be completely at odds with what you want). Some potential inspiration here.

Of course, these suggestions largely depend on you having spare room for such custom assets, which for all I know might not be the case.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2013, 00:02:03 »
There will be subtle textures, but they will be close to flat. The dirt in the forest shows the approach I'll use. I'm trying to work distance tiles into the set, but I'm still unsure how I'll make them. To create room in the main set, I'm moving less vital pieces to the secondary sets. For example, the slope is 4:1 and I have corner pieces for every step of the slope for every direction. That comes to 32 corners! They all don't need to be in the main set.

With secondary sets I want to add a variety of decorations. I've been considering glowing crystals as a light source. I also want to make calcium formations, mud, pools, plants, dwellings, etc.. There may be several secondary sets allowing vast differences between sections of the cave system.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2013, 00:36:14 »
What year are you planning on releasing this level? :/

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2013, 12:42:46 »
Looking beautiful as ever ego.  I do like the switch to a white outline in the first pic, though I can see why you abandoned it.  It would be a great theme for a whole level though.  Complex shade sets are hard to make.  I've ended up including a 10 tile shading set (or highlight set) in many of my tilesets as, while it isn't perfect, I can make almost any shadow with it. 

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2013, 23:40:37 »
What year are you planning on releasing this level? :/
Last year, before the release of KU. That's still the plan. I have finished probably a third of the whole project. I'm being a super perfectionist with everything, and development was interrupted by KS+, Level Editor +, Shipwrecked, The Dying Core, Endless Winter, A Long Walk, and bouts of disinterest among other things. I have promised myself that I will not take on any other Knytt related projects until TToK is finished. This time of year always makes me want to work on Survival Horror (working title) though.

Before I design the next temple I want to get feedback on the first one. Check back soon for a public beta of that section.

I've ended up including a 10 tile shading set (or highlight set) in many of my tilesets as, while it isn't perfect, I can make almost any shadow with it.
I'll take a look at the shading in your sets. It may give me inspiration. If you look at the sewer and temple screens I've released, you'll see some pretty slick shadows.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2013, 13:17:31 »
I couldn't figure out which pics you're referring to, but I can see they are all VERY soft.  Mine are more utilitarian and just get the job done. 

I just noticed there is some questions you ask I never read.  I'd like to send you a few sketch ideas for your "vice gods" if you would like them.  They will be rough and done on my lunch break, but I'd find it entertaining to do so.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2013, 16:56:16 »
Slight delay on the Temple beta; I need to make the sound effects. There's only 2 of them but I'm missing an essential stone-on-stone thud. I'll have to mine freesound.org later, because I'm off to repair my RL roof.

I just noticed there is some questions you ask I never read.  I'd like to send you a few sketch ideas for your "vice gods" if you would like them.  They will be rough and done on my lunch break, but I'd find it entertaining to do so.
I would like to see what you have in mind, but I've already drawn the gods (see image.) I still need to animate the fountain water, and the backgrounds are just stand-ins added for the screen shot, but you can clearly see the Stone god resting after a days labor and the Gold god cherishing the bounties of the land.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2013, 17:35:44 »
Dang, egomassive, those statues came out better than I ever could have imagined. I'm more excited for this level than ever. Tempted to give you your 101st star, but I will wait until later, since you-know-what seems to be on the cusp of completion and I'd hate for it to be dated before it even gets released.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2013, 04:40:35 »
Ah!  Nice!  I had something a little more cartoony I think.  Lets see... I'm having trouble with one of the images, of the gluttony god, but here is the lazy god sketches:

Edit: Ah, now I got the gluttony sketches too:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2013, 08:28:29 »
I've put together a beta of the Earth temple over at my website. I'd like some feedback on how fun it is (or isn't). There are some tiny spoilers at the end, so if you have the patience of a tortoise you should wait for the final product.

@Headgrinder: I love the idea of pouring something into the mouth of the gluttonous god's image. I'll have to use that somewhere. *gives star*

Offline juhj

• This happens when I can't finish a level D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2013, 11:35:54 »
It's awesome the things that you can do with KS+. It was incredibly refined, no mistakes at all. Well done ego, well done.  8D
I want to give a star, but not before whatever project Talps and some other guys are working on for your 100th star anniversary is finished.
image removed, became invalid
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2013, 13:13:24 »
I like the dungeon structure and would be happy to see more dungeons following the same formula. This dungeon is incredibly polished, with the boss battle probably being the highlight. But I also found it slightly bland at times, due to some combination of the low difficulty level, lack of power-ups available, short music files, and relatively commonplace temple aesthetic. Not that I would suggest altering it drastically... it is the first dungeon, after all. Strive to make subsequent dungeons a little more unique and interesting and there should be no problem.

Your use of custom objects is extremely economical. The way you dealt with the blue bouncer flash is impressive, though I'm not sure the blue bouncer really needed to appear a second time given that the last phase is so similar to the penultimate one.

I liked the giant snails a lot.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2013, 13:26:28 »
That was really good. They must be tiny spoilers 'cus I didn't see anything story-related.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 13:34:14 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2013, 18:58:28 »
:O Somebody broke the 100 star barrier. I guess you guys don't have to hold back anymore. :P

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 19:07:44 by egomassive »