The Tree of Knowledge [challenge/normal/large]

• 178 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
The Tree of Knowledge [challenge/normal/large]
« on: February 11, 2012, 19:52:26 »
Knytt are lazy, weak, and stupid which is just how they like to be. Exercise is gross. Learning is for nerds. Anyone who doesn't agree is exiled to distant lands where they wont offended the fashionable city Knytts. Juni, of course, lives in a tree trunk in a desert, but she awakens in the heart of a city. With no memory of how she got there or how she injured her leg, she sets out to find her way home. That wont be easy since she's already entangled in the grandest adventure of her life.

If you've been around for awhile you've probably already heard me talking about the Knytt Stories masterpiece I'm working on. Various side projects have kept me from working on it, but it's finally time to give it my full attention. And, it's finally time to let you see what it's all about. Although there are a few things I will keep secret until its release, I intend to work on this project openly, giving regular progress updates and posting screen shots of most areas.

The level itself will be my largest yet, 1000+ screens. My first project exceeded 700 screens, so you know I have it in me. Game play will involve a large game world with challenging dungeons spread throughout. Full advantage will be taken of the features in the KS mod I made, including the artifacts which were created with this level in mind. Like A Knytt in Time, I want to fill this world with the Knytt history we've created on this forum and in our levels. So, it may include stuff like tree trunk homes, a sheep with a chicken on his head, fact giving Toasts, and a Rrokked. So, I'll be messaging a lot of you for permission to use your stuff.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 17:39:01 by egomassive »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
Re: The Tree of Knowledge [challenge/normal/large]
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:36:12 »
Sounds fantastic. It'll be great to see a level making full use of all the collectibles you've put so much work into  :)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:30:36 »
Looks great! If you want to include anything of mine, you have my blessing now and I'll look forward to potentially being surprised to see it.

Offline Al

• Video Games. Stronghold of our imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 13:31:44 »
Wow those screens are so beautiful and well done. I won't ever be able to reach that level of creativity in my levels. I think my speciality is more challenging levels, altough i'd like it to be as pretty too. Great work!
Sorry for my lame English (French, Canada).

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 17:52:47 »
NOOOOO  :O

I know saying, "1000+," usually dooms a level, but I'm not a new level designer. I know what I'm getting myself into. *knocks on wood* Plus, I have set myself the goal of releasing The Tree of Knowledge before Knytt/WaDF which will be sometime this year.

@ Al: Every tileset will be made by me, and every one will be for public use after the level's completion. So, you and others will be able to achieve the same beauty. However, there is a thread for resources like tilesets, some of them are mine. You should have a look.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 18:05:29 by egomassive »

Offline Al

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 19:00:05 »
Well that's fantastic but what i'm sayin is that even with awesome tilesets i'm not really that good at creating well tought beautifull stuff. Tough tanks you are very kind

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 15:52:04 »
This level looks so awesome, and you labeled it as not a hard level. I'm actually looking forward to play this level. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 20:58:14 »
This level looks so awesome, and you labeled it as not a hard level. I'm actually looking forward to play this level. :)

ego you should make it hard. if you're going for 1000+ screens it would be great to have one or two real challenges  :P2

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 23:18:52 »
Fantastic! Screens look like your best yet; really looking forward to this.

How far, do you think, are you into making this?
And what's a Rrokked?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 03:11:28 »
And what's a Rrokked?

I can answer that for you!

I only discovered this awesome level upon putting 'Rrokked' into Google, so thanks for mentioning it egomassive.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 05:16:03 »
@ Salmoneous: There will be bonus sections that have almost nothing to do with the main story. They will be obvious mini games and they will be very tough. I can't go into more details because these parts I'm keeping secret. But otherwise, this is going to be a level for people of normal platforming skills.

@ Talps: It's hard to say how far along I am. I have about 40% of tilesets, 5% of the screens, 0% of cutscenes, 1% of custom objects, 90% of flow charts, 80% of the story. I've collected a bunch of music, but I don't know at this point how much of it will work. Screens are for me the easiest part, and I have the whole map planned out. The 1000+ screen number isn't the number to worry about if you want to see this level completed. It's the cutscene count that will hold up the project the most. I don't have my storyboard with me now, but I think there are 17 scenes.

Offline Denis

• I am the law only for my kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 13:22:29 »
Wow. Will the level use the features of your mod? :)
Son of prometheus

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 17:07:03 »
@ Denis: This quote was taken from the opening post:
...Full advantage will be taken of the features in the KS mod I made, including the artifacts which were created with this level in mind. ...
I expect to use every feature except golden creatures. In the first 10 minutes of gameplay I've already used advanced signs, custom characters, custom artifacts with artifact flag warps, keyboard objects, map spoofing, triggers, and shift/trigger combination animations.

Offline Al

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 17:22:35 »
@ Denis: This quote was taken from the opening post:
...Full advantage will be taken of the features in the KS mod I made, including the artifacts which were created with this level in mind. ...

Does that means the we can't play it without the mod?