[challenge, normal] Flight Mountain

• 10 Replies

Offline Al

• Video Games. Stronghold of our imagination
    • View Profile
[challenge, normal] Flight Mountain
« on: February 09, 2012, 14:03:09 »
hi guys,

I love Knytt Stories, I mean it's awesome really. So, I started to make custom levels recently and this  is the first i'm going to release for play. The level will be challenge oriented with a little bit of puzzle probably.

I need to know if there are some of you willing to test my Beta so you can send me feedback, suggestion, bugs,  or any other ideas. You could even participate in the editing if you think something could be better this way (I'm open to improvement and critisism, i will gladly add what you modified in the level if i really find it better). Any help or tips are welcome.

Unfortunately, there will be no custom song or tiles set for this first level simply because i don't want to waste time on customising (wich i have never done in Knytt Stories) as for the songs, I never composed music and I just don't know any song that could fit the universe of Knytt Stories. So i will stick to stock until i learn more or finish this level. Since this is not an environemental level I hope it's not that bad Sorry for the lack of originality on this side. I will probably create some of my own custom stuff in my next level once this one is finished

Also, since this will be my first ``public`` level i don't know how to convert my world files into something uploadable and playable. I think it's done from the KSManager but i'm not sure

Thanks for you collaboration I hope you'll like my level :)

sorry if my english seems weird it's because i'm canadian, my mother tongue is french

(sorry for the very low quality screenshots)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:25:06 by Al »
Sorry for my lame English (French, Canada).

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: Flight Mountain (Work in progress)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 20:28:54 »
This looks like it's shaping up to be a very interesting level!

One thing I couldn't help noticing: Are you putting grass on the third layer in the third screen? It's frustrating when people do that, but understandable if it's to stop a creature.

Also: When you want to compress a level, click on the Level header at the top of the Level Editor, then click on the "Compress" option. Here's a screenshot so you know what I'm talking about:

Offline Al

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 20:32:11 »
Thanks you've been really helpfull

and yes it i've put a grass to stop a ground creature but all the other ones wasn't supposed to be solid XD  i just didn't remember to fix it.

Offline Al

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 21:29:03 »
It's decided, my level will have a progressing plot troughout the game and will contain multiple endings (I can think of 3 right now). Also, i might include some artist's song but i don't know if i'm not able to contact them is it still okay to use their song in a non profitable game if i put heavy credits on the info screen and add a read me explaining that i tried to inform them and that they can contact me if they want me to remove all their songs?

just so u know the main artist i'm talking about is Stemage.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 21:32:26 by Al »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 22:18:20 »
It's nice when people give you permission to use their work, but if for some reason that's not possible, then it's better to find some Creative Commons licensed music you can use instead. For instance, I like to search Community Audio at the Internet Archive whenever I need a song for my game. Others like to use sites like the 8 Bit Collective, or Incompetech. Of course, if you still want to use Stemage's music, that's fine, too. Just remember to ask for his permission first, though.

Offline Al

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 22:36:54 »
Well thanks for the links

Actually my request has already been made via facebook and i'm planning to try to join them otherwise if i don't get any response.

Also, I don't know how to import custom music into my level i'm not able to import it to KSManager too since it's not OGG.  (sorry for my noobishness)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 22:41:26 by Al »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 22:47:22 »
You'll need to convert those MP3s to OGGs somehow. Do you have a music editing program, like Audacity? If you don't, I'm sure there's people on the forums who would help you with that.

Offline Al

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 22:53:23 »
God I HAD Audacity

but there should be no problem getting it back.

BTW I listened to some of the music on the links you sent me. Some of those are really awesome thanks mate i'll definitively use some of those in my levels.

so..  I get audacity, change it back to OGG  and then i just need to know how to put the music on a precise screen of my level

lol you've been so helpfull to me today :p thkx
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 22:57:02 by Al »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:18:35 »
You're welcome! If you're still having trouble with Knytt Stories,  there's a manual hosted on the forums that I found very helpful. You can find it here.

Offline Al

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 02:31:47 »
wow pretty usefull I apreciate it

Offline Al

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 13:23:31 »
Right now i'm concentring all my work into my other level "D'ont you feel chased?"   it will have a nice plot and will be pretty short so I should get back to Flight Mountain soon. I still need beta testers tough for thin one.