Who is HeadGrinder?

• 11 Replies

Offline Denis

• I am the law only for my kind.
    • View Profile
Who is HeadGrinder?
« on: January 22, 2012, 19:37:53 »
I'm a big fan of Headgrinder's levels, but I've got no idea who he is. Headgrinder, if you're reading this, tell me about yourself, OK?
Son of prometheus

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: Who is HeadGrinder?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 22:51:29 »
Oh wow, hey Nifflas, just saw this. 

Let me just reciprocate by saying how much I love your own work.  It has been such a pleasure and a fulfillment of long wished for but never attained ambition to discover your levels and game making in Knytt Stories.

Well, since I have no reason to hide my identity, my real name is Matthew Epperson.  I'm 33, living in Missouri, USA.  I'm on facebook, but that is about my only online footprint right now, other than here, and the beginning attempt at a blog at aestheticamusment.wordpress.com.  I'm just a major and passionate fan of good stories and art work and Knytt Stories is a fantastic medium for both.  I love it because it demands very little programing (which I kinda suck at) and has a wonderfully simplified level building process.  I got a BFA in 2002 in painting and sculpture at Missouri State University in my home town, but have been too naive at first, and then lacking enough ambitious salesmanship to either continue my education or do art for a living.  I work in a stainless steel fabrication shop which lets me listen to headphones while I work, so I fill the hours at work listening to "fantastic" fiction and philosophy via audiobook and podcast.  I've been married for 4 1/2 years, with a 2 1/2 year old son and a baby on the way, and we recently bought our first house, so I'm way too busy to do more than occasionally work on either Knytt Stories, my own meager writing, or whatever else I'm ambitious enough to start.

Uhm.... I'm a huge fan of most Stephen King books for the otherworldly quality, visceral writing and good against evil aspects.  I love Zelda and Metroid style games (easy puzzle solving, item acquiring games, preferably with a deep storyline), and am a huge fan of Mateusz Skutnik's flash games. 

Oh!  I got to participate in a recent podcast at www.badphilosophy.com, which was a lot of fun.

Guess that's it in a nutshell.  :)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 23:02:12 »
Er... did that just post as if I was Nifflas???
I think you missed this: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5228.0
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 23:05:48 »
I feel bad for laughing so hard at this.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 23:06:03 »
Oh gosh, ha!  Here I thought the great man had personal interest in my work.  Ha!

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 23:08:37 »
I'm sure Denis will be glad with your answer, there's probably nothing else he could possibly want to know about you know.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 23:15:20 »
Well, what's funny is I honestly would not have had such a thorough answer if I hadn't thought Nifflas was asking.

...and now the "virus" is fixed.   

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 00:11:58 »
April's fool will do that X)

Either way, figured since I'm in this totally awesome summer house and shouldn't spend a sunday night working, might as well try your levels. Badly Built Level is awesome, the dialog is very funny. Stone Tiers was super beautiful (though I wish I had built KS to use separate collision masks and graphical tiles so the scenery interaction would be better). I'm playing White City right now and I'm really impressed. Definitely not anything near a level I'd do, which is what's so interesting about the whole level editing aspect - to see different expressions within the same games :)

Great stuff!

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 01:42:34 »
Well, hey, thanks! 

I get some input from Nifflas after all!  Very happy April fools day!

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 05:02:08 »
Best part of April Fools! C)p

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 12:16:35 »