A tileset

• 27 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
Re: A tileset
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 16:37:47 »
This is what I have right now. Still not happy with the sun... I want it to look sharp and pixelized and this is the best i could do. A circle.
I probably won't make a lot more changes to it, I already made a variation underground and cave stuff, and I plan on making more for other areas. The darker brown makes this one look less happy happy yay yay so I'll try to make one that has happier colors in it.

Oh and I changed the shadows on the trees (only one tree visible in the screenshot) so that I wouldn't have to worry about the position of the light source, but I think it looks worse now :/

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 18:55:54 »
Even if you aren't entirely happy with it, I feel this latest iteration is streets ahead of the last one you posted. Keep it up!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 02:08:47 »
The sun needs anti-aliasing and maybe 1 halo (like you did before, but only one). It would also need to be a bit smaller if you do the halo. The darker color, clouds and tree look very good, but the grass is bad, the previous one was much better.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:17 »
I actually disagree. The rest of the image isn't anti-aliased either. As far as the halo goes... I dunno. Not required to have I think unless in the same level it was done also.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 09:36:53 »
I actually disagree. The rest of the image isn't anti-aliased either.
The sun is in the background, so there shouldn't be an inconsistency. What makes it need anti-aliasing is that there's no dark border on the edge and the border isn't pixeled well. A bit smaller radius may make the pixelation better.

As far as the halo goes... I dunno. Not required to have I think unless in the same level it was done also.
Yes, I myself doubt it would look good. At first I thought it may look better with halo, but now I think it probably wouldn't.
Edit: Here's a subtle manual antialiasing. As I thought, it doesn't make an inconsistence, but I have a feeling as if the sun became duller with such a round shape.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:59:08 by GrayFace »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 16:32:36 »
I think the new tree looks great, as does the new grass. I prefer your original sun though. In real life when you can see the sun clearly, it turns orange at the edges, but the sky isn't blue at those times.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 17:15:35 »
I think the new tree looks great, as does the new grass. I prefer your original sun though. In real life when you can see the sun clearly, it turns orange at the edges, but the sky isn't blue at those times.

Hmm, I actually think I agree. The old sun looks better.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 13:12:46 »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
This should be the final version of this screen, wasted enough time with that freaking sun. Everyone seems to have completely different opinions on it so I just messed a bit more with it until I saw something that I liked. Also flowers.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 15:45:51 »
I like it. :)

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 19:55:18 »
I like this sun. I think you've nailed it :) Flowers are good, but too bright.
The main problem stays, it's the grass. Grass in the bright variant of the tileset was so much better than this one. Now it just looks like it's crudely painted with a spray tool. One quick thing you may try is putting a semi-transparent layer of grass-less ground over it. I mean, top and bottom parts of the grass would then be different and there would be a sort of border between them.
Edit: I've tried and made it look better, but not too much...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 20:20:03 by GrayFace »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 20:40:41 »
So what you are saying makes it look bad is the missing line between solid and non-solid grass? Because everything else is the same.
I'll try to make it as you suggest, but I think you were supposed to have an attachment there, or did I miss something?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 21:32:47 »
The grass looks fine to me...

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 07:48:50 »
Yay, I like the final grass: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=5264.0
Now everything is beautiful.

I'll try to make it as you suggest, but I think you were supposed to have an attachment there, or did I miss something?
I hadn't posted it, because I did it on a small part of the picture and I didn't really like the result.