A tileset

• 27 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
A tileset
« on: January 19, 2012, 20:29:04 »
For some reason the only thing I felt like doing was a tileset, so I made one. I think it looks pretty good, but I'd like to have an external point of view on it. I'm not sharing the tileset right now, but only a screenshot using it.

Spoiler: first version (click to show/hide)
If I ever make a completely new level, it will have a lot more detail than what I've done before, so now I use the tileset in 3 different levels of depth, and I think it looks pretty good so far. I think that tree is the most detailed thing I've done in a tileset, in my other level I had to use a tree from one of the stock tilesets, but maybe I won't have to do that anymore.
Also, I'm still working on some stuff, like grass on the floor (layer 2).
I'd be grateful to hear some suggestions from people who are used to making this stuff :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 13:27:08 by Raicuparta »

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: A tileset
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 20:51:36 »
That looks pretty good. I especially like the tree; most tilesetters, for some reason, seem to have trouble with trees. I'm looking forward to when you release this.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 20:59:09 »
That looks pretty good. I especially like the tree; most tilesetters, for some reason, seem to have trouble with trees. I'm looking forward to when you release this.
I totally believe that, that tree took me like an hour to get right. I'm not sure if I will release the tileset by itself or only together with a future level.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 22:06:17 »
The biggest problem I see is the sun is on the dark side of the tree. That's really more of a problem with how you used the tileset, than a problem with the tiles themselves. The rounded spires in the foreground look a bit pointy. Most of what I think this set needs you have already decided to add. It's really nice so far.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 22:11:28 »
The biggest problem I see is the sun is on the dark side of the tree.
Yeah I noticed that. That background is temporary, I'll probably want to use something more pixely, or even have the sun in the tileset so I can adjust that kind of stuff.

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:58:31 »
No offense intended, but the color and pattern reminds me of nutter butter cookies.

Still very nice looking though I must say   :^^:
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 13:12:06 »
New screenshot on the main post. Not sure about those vines, what do you think?

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 13:15:54 »
New screenshot on the main post. Not sure about those vines, what do you think?

I like 'em. The new grass is the highlight, though.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 01:42:03 »
The vines look good to me. They match the tree well. I'd suggest for further development ground tiles without grass overhanging. As you get back into the cave the grass should stop growing. This would be a huge demand on tiles, so you may want to make a separate set for spelunking. Then, you'd have more room for new plants and things on the surface set. This is just my personal preference, but a little shading can go a long way. See attachment.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:50:56 »
I'm not sure if I'll make tiles without the grass or if I'll make a completely different tileset for the caves, but it sure won't have grass in there. Also, it's funny, I actually was working on shading but not exactly like you did on the screenshot, I'm trying to stay away from gradients and smoothness in general and keep everything pixelized (strill trying to figure out what I'll do with the background gradient), so my shadows are sharper, I'll post a screenshot when I'm happy with them.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 05:33:30 »
Looks really cool, but I the new sun looks bad. The one in the first version was good.

Here's my vision of ceiling shading and grass. The shading is the border two pixels in height with 35% opacity. With the grass I just replaced the border color with one of grass colors.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:55:55 by GrayFace »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 11:03:10 »
The grass does look better that way, but I though it was some sort of "rule" to have dark lines say what is solid and what isn't. As there is stuff in the background that uses the same color scheme as the grass, shouldn't I try to make it easy to tell what is solid?
About the sun, I'm really trying to find a way to make the sun completely by hand, without other automated tools, so I get the pixelated style, I'll see if I can do better.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 15:04:01 »
Here's another version of grass. I only changed it where in-ground grass was easily separable from over-ground grass. Otherwise, just lighter colors for grass in the ground.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
    • Twitter @Raicuparta
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 17:00:55 »
Not sure what you were trying to do on that last one, you're suggesting that I make all the grass on the solid tiles lighter, or just on the parts that don't have the dark background? I don't think I want to make a new tileset just for that small change :/

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 19:02:28 »
I mean making bottom part of all grass lighter. How is the tileset going?