Do Not Pick Up The Key [challenge/hard/short - now with bonuses in KS+]

• 60 Replies

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
Re: Do Not Pick Up The Key [challenge/hard/short]
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 04:45:51 »
Yes <_< >_> I jumped over it, went to the next screen, stopped 5 pixels short of the trip wire, then ran back and grabbed it.
Holy shoot that's exactly what I did :O

Now that is freaky  O_o

Hmmmm perhaps Talps was right. Too much Portal  X)
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 07:42:23 »
no
This was a lot of fun!
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
It's funny that there are two obedience themed levels out at the same time.

I have allways wanted to know what someone else think about my levels :D You see on my account name; Zelos.
You should create topics for them! I think most people don't dig through the level archive, there's a lot of unfinished levels there.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:44:44 by GrayFace »

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 21:05:59 »
The fishing pole was perfect! I know it's a small, insubstantial part, but I really liked it! I stopped and watched it for a couple minutes even though it really wasn't doing anything.
I'm glad that there are people that like that stuff, even though I am yet to make a level with a lot of detail, I know that these little things are a pain to get perfect. A lot of the time I spent with the level I'm currently making was wasted with tiny things most people won't notice.

Interesting you should put it that way. I recall listening to the developer's commentary for Half Life 2 episode 2 and how they mentioned that Alyx's belt now moves like a real belt should. They pointed out that since it now looks so real, it (ironically) would probably go unseen.
So, if you think about it, if we don't notice the tiny details, that means you did a very good job of adding them.  :)
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline ortoslon

• View Profile

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 12:14:09 »
I wish I remembered by Youtube password so I could reply to that poster...

Thanks for featuring my level again, Ort :D

Offline Hiino

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 16:48:15 »
(no then yes)
So this level was pretty good, with its simple level design for maximum understanding of what I had to do, and the clever use of the enemies.
I wouldn't have labeled it as "hard" though (more like "normal"), but that's just my opinion.
Oh also I found a failure, that leads to the void. It's around the middle of the game, we can get past a grey spikey bouncer and I guess it wasn't planned.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 02:01:43 »
It's definitely not a Normal level. The difficulties are supposed to be well defined categories so that anyone can judge how a level will compare to their ability. You've made the same mistake as many level designers who find Normal difficulty levels very easy to play; namely, thinking of Normal as equating to what you personally find to be an average sort of challenge rather than a level roughly equating to Nifflas' normal levels, as it should mean.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like a rant, just trying to clarify  :)

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 21:50:37 »
I thought the save points were a tad common for it to be a hard level, however music and environment were very well made. At first I didn't pick up the key, then I replayed the level and picked it up to get to the room of doom - found it annoying that there's no escape, because then the level has no ending.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 03:46:37 »
I thought the save points were a tad common for it to be a hard level,

Too many save points? There's a complaint I'm surprised to see! Or were you just replying to Widget?

Offline Al

• Video Games. Stronghold of our imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 22:01:45 »
Yes then no

I liked your level very much it was well designed and had a good sence of humor the endings were awesome too. reading what the npc had to say was interesting and the traps and monsters were perfect challenge not to hard and not too easy either. I've found the save points were in correct quantity and distance. I can't wait to play other of you levels.

I'll be finishing a level soon called "Don't you feel chased? I hope you'll try it when it comes out and give it a little commentary too since this will be my first public level. :)
Sorry for my lame English (French, Canada).

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 03:06:48 »
I know it's rather late, but I want to say thanks to Hiino, Deformed Knee and AI for taking the time to reply; it's great to hear your feedback, and I'm glad you all enjoyed the experience.
I like a challenging level myself (as long as it doesn't cross the line to frustrating) but I also want to play to the audience; I don't want to alienate those players who like their challenges less demanding. This level is kind of border-line as hard as I can reasonably make it I think.

This was another level where I looked at the passage of time and weather. When you first emerge from the lab, it's a misty, murky night. As you climb the mountain across the valley, snow begins to fall. A crevice in the mountains just before the ruins show snow settling on the ground, and when you emerge from the ruins it's daylight and very snowy. For me, that sort of movement gives a level a sense of progression and time, and a greater feel of realism (which matters to me even if the concept of the level is essentially rather silly).

Offline Fubaka

• We are the music makers.
    • View Profile
    • My Music Page
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 09:43:32 »
Yes.   :P

I also made a banner for me-self because I felt like a troll.

Also, because of the way I pronounce 'knytt' the ones dressed up like knights made me chuckle a bit.
Great level!  I'm off to go again, and not touch the key this time, regardless of how shiny and blue it is!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:49:19 by Fubaka »
Things to remember when writing figures of speech and sound:
The power of poetry comes from the ability to defy logic. Defy logic often.

Use a metaphor and tell us that your lover is the sky. Tell us that your lover is the sky. When you do that, we won't believe you. We won't believe you because saying so makes no sense, but we'll see a meaning. We'll see a meaning.

The other thing is the ability to be remembered. Love anything.

Love anything

Offline Klämrisk

• I can't even recall why I have this duck anymore..
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 14:01:18 »
Yes, this level was fun.  :P
"Have you been playing too much 'Portal'?" - how did you know....
Audial experimentations (Read: demos)
Crazy metal band I sing and play bass/electric guitar in

"Throwback" - a KS level in progress
I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

Offline Marximillian

• I don't hate Swedes, what are you implying exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 03:02:21 »
I didn't get the key then I got it.
I liked this level.
x

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile