[Challenge/Small/Hard] Obey (updated)

• 32 Replies

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Small/Hard] Obey (updated)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 14:44:32 »
First of all, about the ending discussion:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Now, relatively to Talps' post:
I'll start by saying that in no way I get your post in the wrong way, I am really glad that you spend the time to make such an elaborate list of suggestions and opinions, it really shows that at least someone cares even a little :)

The truth is, and I've been having this problem since I started on "Time Fixes Everything", making levels as hard as this one kind of makes me a hypocrite. I give up on other people's levels very easily when I'm frustrated, or at least I used to, bur for some reason I keep making these way to hard sections. After succeeding for a first time, it is almost impossible for me to fail a jump again so from then on it seems really easy. I also think Time Fixes Everything made me really good at challenges where everything is static, like the screenshot Talps posted, but I'm really bad with other enemies, so that may be why some parts are way too hard.
I will almost definitely not make any major edits to this level, unless I wake up some day with a sudden urge to do exactly that (wouldn't be the first time), I will instead learn from all this and be sure to make my next level one that people can really enjoy.
The reason why I'm not willing to make any major changes to this level is because the concept I had in mind was actually very different from what I ended up with, so I really don't feel a need to perfect it. Thanks to everyone who gave their opinion, I hope more people can tell me what they think.

Now instead of level design I'd like to talk about the "story" of the level. have a few questions, maybe people aren't supposed to do this with stuff that is meant to be interpreted, but I will anyway:

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 18:49:05 »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 22:49:40 »
I've reconsidered my last post. In this case, I think the player should have to replay the whole level to get the other ending. This is mainly because of the story. Most of the screens tell the story, and to re-read them after making a choice is nearly as interesting as making the other choice. I guess the problem here is that some of the challenges are pretty frustrating. We just don't want to deal with them again.

Spoiler: philosophy (click to show/hide)

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 05:16:02 »
Spoiler: ending (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: difficulty (click to show/hide)
P.S. Here is an interesting thing I've just discovered: if you put an autosave square-shaped shift-on-touch shift and Win on the same tile, you would see the game end, but when you load last save point you would appear where that shift takes you. (this needs checking in KSDS)

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:01 »
Spoiler: endings (click to show/hide)

Offline RichardJ

• View Profile
    • My Flickr photostream
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 13:58:43 »
I liked this level, the complete dichotomy between the two areas was well done (the music being a big part of that for me). I had a lot of trouble on one screen in particular,
As for the philosophy of the story,

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 17:37:21 »
I thought the difficulty was correct for "Hard", and I was able to complete the "Run" screen on first try. I didn't like the endings that much because you don't come to know the true outcome of your actions.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 12:10:21 »
Finally got around to playing this. Very nice level! I spotted a few bugs that I don't think have been mentioned:

At x1000y1004 pos. x2y8 there is some grass on layer 3.

There are also some typos on your gradients (I'm almost certain you didn't want to hear that):
  • Gradient36 - untill > until
  • Gradient38 - projcetiles > projectiles

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 23:08:32 »
A fun little level. Can't comment on the difficulty issue - since I don't have much time for playing KS, I simply cheated my way here and there :oops: Anyway, I really enjoyed the story, the way it was told, and the ambiguity of the ending(s), and the COs, and, uh, everything else :) Good job.

Offline juhj

• This happens when I can't finish a level D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 18:03:43 »
Link is broken.
image removed, became invalid
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 00:52:50 »
KI have the crappiest of Internet connections right now, completely impossible to reupload. Would be nice if someone else could reupload it for me.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 02:21:30 »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:25:34 by egomassive »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 02:53:27 »
Thanks bro. Almost gave you a star for that, but I'm not sure if I'm worthy to be the one giving you your 100th star.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 14:13:12 »
Thanks bro. Almost gave you a star for that, but I'm not sure if I'm worthy to be the one giving you your 100th star.
You're the second person to tell me something like that. No one will know it was you except for the moderators and I. Just do it. :) Do it. ;) Doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit!!! :nuts:

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 14:14:08 »
THERE'S TOO MUCH PRESSURE