Bugs cuased by object combinations

• 10 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Bugs cuased by object combinations
« on: January 11, 2012, 03:52:38 »
I've recently discovered that the following combinations of objects reveal bugs:
Bank:Object 17:1 with 4:15;
Bank:Object 17:1 with 4:12;

4:15 and 4:12 shoot fireballs at intervals. 17:1 contains instructions for these fireballs to change directions whenever it shoots its projectiles. This will cause 4:15's fireballs to suddenly change trajectory, always leftward. 4:12's fire balls will always move leftward, because it's firing interval matches that of 17:1.

These bugs are present in Knytt Stories 1.2.1, and most likely all earlier versions. Sorry if this has been reported it before, but Marzog's Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 is the first use I've seen of this buggy combination.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: Bugs cuased by object combinations
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:53:39 »
I noticed that too and wondered what was going on. An impressive bug, good work on finding out the cause.

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:56:10 »
Huh. I made the level and didn't notice that  O_o I must go have a looksie.
But indeed a job well done figuring out how that bug works.
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:28:48 »
Apologies for double post.
 I just looked at all that and I couldn't really see much of a change of trajectory for the fireball.
A couple times the 4:15's fireball would go left or right extremely fast, but nothing else that I noticed.

Must be my game or something.
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:41:55 »
Hmm, I personally thought I noticed projectiles sharply changing direction in mid-air, but rightward? I'll have to check again.

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 21:01:44 »
Hmm, I personally thought I noticed projectiles sharply changing direction in mid-air, but rightward? I'll have to check again.

Hmmmm..... The mystery deepens :ohnoes:

What have you stumbled upon egomassive?  :P

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 23:31:21 »
Just to be sure that I hadn't accidentally altered my own copy of KS1.2.1, I checked it in KSA. It still happens exactly as I said before, with errant leftward trajectories. Pretty sure it's just a copy-and-paste error by Nifflas. One that would never have been a problem if nobody ever combined Strange Runners with Dark Randomizers. Note: If you're using my KS mod 3b or newer I've corrected it.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:28:59 »
LordMarzog doesn't see it happening because it's fixed in KS Ex.
Version 1.3 changes:
[-] Bank 17, Obj 1 used to redirect bullets of Bank 4, Obj 12.
I'm attaching the fix.

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 10:45:58 »
False alarm, it was leftward after all. With that, I'm pretty sure the mystery has been totally resolved.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 13:55:58 »
@ GrayFace: And, I thought I was following your mod's progression. Is that quote in the KS Ex thread?

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 03:50:27 »
@ GrayFace: And, I thought I was following your mod's progression. Is that quote in the KS Ex thread?
Strange, it wasn't there. And I messed up the version number in 1.3 post while making 1.3.1 post, too. The quote is from ReadMe, but I thought I had everything copied to the post in the thread. Well, now it's there. Funny, it was the only change that fell off.