[Challenge/Size:Med/Dif:Normal to Hard] Run the Gauntlet: Part 1

• 32 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Challenge/Size:Med/Dif:Normal to Hard] Run the Gauntlet: Part 1
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 03:09:00 »
More bugs: There's some light glow on layer 3 in the conference room. It also appears to be on another layer, so don't be fooled when you look with the editor. There's also a monitor brace on layer 3 in the final room. The other braces are not solid, which makes me think it's a mistake.

Offline LordMarzog

• [interesting text goes here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 03:40:53 »
More bugs: There's some light glow on layer 3 in the conference room. It also appears to be on another layer, so don't be fooled when you look with the editor. There's also a monitor brace on layer 3 in the final room. The other braces are not solid, which makes me think it's a mistake.

Yeah that's a goof. The way it happened is that the room itself wasn't reachable in the prologue so I put some stuff on layer 3. When I copied and pasted that screen into part 1, the layer 3 stuff stayed there. I thought I had gotten all those but I obviously missed a few. Thanks.
I looked through them for spelling errors and here is what I found:
Spoiler: spelling errors (click to show/hide)

This list ignores punctuation, capitalization, and similar errors that are too numerous to list. I'm considering them part of your poetic style because that's what most of them appear to be.

Spoiler: spelling errors (click to show/hide)

Nope. I hadn't noticed those ones yet. Gee, I clearly need to spell check much more often.

A mistake I kept seeing was punctuation around exclamations. You'd have something like "Wow." instead of "Wow!" or you'd have "Wow that's great!" instead of "Wow, that's great!" Although not grammatically correct, your versions could very well be how you intended the character to say them. Call it stream of consciousness and you can get away with anything punctuation wise. Just ask William Falkner.

I would use "Wow.' if I was trying to give the impression of sarcasm. Since "Wow" is normally used with a "!" by using a "." I hoped to show that they are rather uninterested. But indeed you are right, it is not grammatically correct. Tone is a very difficult thing to convey through text.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'll be updating the level soon!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:47:27 by LordMarzog »
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 04:00:46 »
I would use "Wow.' if I was trying to give the impression of sarcasm. ...

That's pretty much what I figured. Perfect grammar doesn't equal perfect communication. I've yet to see an grammar book that covers the use of emoticons.

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 00:41:24 »
Just a quick info message: I'm currently updating the level. I'll be fixing all typos and glitches. Also,

Plus I'll be adding some fun facts to one of the secret areas.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 00:47:00 by LordMarzog »
Run the Gauntlet: Prologue | Run the Gauntlet: Part 1 I'll add more interesting stuff here when I have more interesting stuff to add. (duh)

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 06:40:37 »
Nicely done! This part seems more text-heavy to me.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:48:21 by GrayFace »

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 07:09:24 »
Nicely done! This part seems more text-heavy to me.

I think I'll take a few of the needless signs out. Like the "Lava? Why is there always lava in these places?" and similar lines.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 23:04:49 »
I think I'll take a few of the needless signs out. Like the "Lava? Why is there always lava in these places?" and similar lines.

I thought that was funny. Also, pointing out obvious cliches makes them more acceptable. It's like reverse psychology.

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 02:58:12 »
Well, I just posted the updated level! You'll find the link in the first post.

Even if you just played the level, I insist that you play the updated version! The section after the town has been majorly updated and improved.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:11:28 by LordMarzog »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 03:12:41 »
Spoiler: Spelling&Punctuation (click to show/hide)

x1000y1006, x999y1006 and x1000y1005 - It's possible to double-jump up to the gaps in the ceiling and climb up into a wallswim.
x998y1005 and x999y1005 - Ditto up into a void.

As to my actual reaction to the changes, I'm really impressed with the work you've done on the Administrator's Facility; it feels a lot fuller and significantly more challenging now. I did miss a few of the messages in the first half but I think you've probably made the right call for the level there.

On a side-note, sorry for leaping right in and picking holes in what must have been a lot of hard work. I promise you I really like this level and I only mention these things in the spirit of bringing them to your attention... not that the post looks very good-natured but I assure you that's a relic of using it as notepaper during my playthrough, not any indication of intent to be hyper-critical  ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:09:04 by Widget »

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 05:43:52 »
Spoiler: Spelling&Punctuation (click to show/hide)

x1000y1006, x999y1006 and x1000y1005 - It's possible to double-jump up to the gaps in the ceiling and climb up into a wallswim.
x998y1005 and x999y1005 - Ditto up into a void.

As to my actual reaction to the changes, I'm really impressed with the work you've done on the Administrator's Facility; it feels a lot fuller and significantly more challenging now. I did miss a few of the messages in the first half but I think you've probably made the right call for the level there.

On a side-note, sorry for leaping right in and picking holes in what must have been a lot of hard work. I promise you I really like this level and I only mention these things in the spirit of bringing them to your attention... not that the post looks very good-natured but I assure you that's a relic of using it as notepaper during my playthrough, not any indication of intent to be hyper-critical  ;)

Hmmm...those gaps are supposed to filled with a custom enemy... For example x1000y1006 should look like this. (See attached picture)

This might be a problem with KS Ex. If you see this Greyface I might need your help here. Does Widget need KS Ex in order to see the custom enemy?

But no worries Widget! You're doing exactly what I want you to do. Play the level, find mistakes, and tell me those mistakes so I can fix them. :) I'll get to work on those typo's right away.
As it turns out you do need KS Ex to see the custom enemies... -_- sooo...yeah...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:07:21 by LordMarzog »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 05:50:49 »
This might be a problem with KS Ex. If you see this Greyface I might need your help here. Does Widget need KS Ex in order to see the custom enemy?
Sure. Moreover, he needs to (re-)install the level using KS Ex, because the original KS won't install Lua scripts.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 07:38:52 »
Now the ending sequence is very cool. I hope you'll post the smasher in templates objects thread. BTW, I'm using your foreground glass cylinder in my level :)

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 08:35:21 »
Now the ending sequence is very cool. I hope you'll post the smasher in templates objects thread. BTW, I'm using your foreground glass cylinder in my level :)

Glad you liked it! :) And cool  8) Just be sure to mention that LP Chip made the original glass cylinder. I Just made it a custom object.

I think I will post the smasher in the template objects thread. Should I provide the folder itself? Or will just the picture be sufficient?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:43:28 by LordMarzog »

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 13:49:55 »
Oops, I didn't realise it was now a KSEx level.. though I did think it seemed a little strange to have such obvious holes in it  <_<
Sorry, I should've guessed I'd done something wrong.

Offline LordMarzog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 18:40:48 »
Oops, I didn't realise it was now a KSEx level.. though I did think it seemed a little strange to have such obvious holes in it  <_<
Sorry, I should've guessed I'd done something wrong.

Nawh. It wasn't you. I didn't realize that you would need KS Ex until after you mentioned holes in the ceiling.