Concerns About Knytt Stories Levels....

• 26 Replies
Re: Concerns About Knytt Stories Levels....
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 07:25:17 »
this mystery massive custom-everything level is actually "boot stamping on a knytt face forever"? :shocked: i had forgotten about that level, but now i'm stoked for it all over again!

A ranking system for each level does make a lot of sense though.  Where logged-in users have the option to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on levels.  Of course you'd have people abusing this system but if you're forced to give a reason for your thumb up or thumb down it'd cut down on that quite a bit.

i've also been wondering about how the new level archive was going to work, i remember discussion on the old forum about implementing a rating system, but imagined it would be on a scale of 1-5 stars, not a simple thumbs up or thumbs down (i believe that would be a bit too vague). it would also be helpful, i think, to have an overall highest rated section, so people like me who used to use the "favourite levels" threads to find the best levels will have something similar to that. a "level of the week" would also be helpful, but if it's too much trouble to program it's not essential by any means.

hey carn, keep an eye on your PMs, because i'm about to send you one. :P

Offline Budja

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 22:22:41 »
A ranking system for each level does make a lot of sense though.  Where logged-in users have the option to give a thumbs up or thumbs down on levels.  Of course you'd have people abusing this system but if you're forced to give a reason for your thumb up or thumb down it'd cut down on that quite a bit.

thumbs up/ thumbs down wouldn't be very good IMO. A scale of 1-10 would be better. I'm sure people here won't abuse it much at all.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 23:45:42 »
this mystery massive custom-everything level is actually "boot stamping on a knytt face forever"? :shocked: i had forgotten about that level, but now i'm stoked for it all over again!

Why, yes it is. ;)
There will be no premature ending to BSoaKFF.
Only an amazing outcome.
The very definition of BSoakFF is "Custom to the fullest extend."  :crazy:
Which reminds me, I will probably post the revised topic for BSoaKFF tonight after I watch "Mind Field"
yay!.
X)
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Carn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 04:12:40 »
No I doubt any KS regulars abuse the rating system I'd just be worried about someone new to KS that makes a game, uploads it, and then having never even come to these forums just rates their own game really high and rates the other popular games very low trying to get people to play their level.

I do tend to over-worry but that's a possibility.  XD

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 04:49:49 »
Then simply log IPs and disallow a user from voting on a level that was posted from his IP.
Then again, you must take into account that most immature, younger people like that have a difficult time learning how to use the editor. Chances our, we won't have much to worry about.

Also, maybe only allow so many rates per a set amount of time? like, one every 3 minutes?
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 11:20:29 »
Then again, you must take into account that most immature, younger people like that have a difficult time learning how to use the editor. Chances our, we won't have much to worry about.

...that's happened a few times before. :/ (That is, really young users posting sub-par levels they made without fully understanding the editor.)

Also, maybe only allow so many rates per a set amount of time? like, one every 3 minutes?

Just limiting each user to rating each level once would be fine. If you had a three-minute gap between ratings, it'd take 15 minutes to rate five levels- and, especially at the start of the new archive, there will be many many levels to rate.
good bye

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 13:22:54 »
Don't worry about the ratings. It will be taken care of.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

4a

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 20:05:05 »

...that's happened a few times before. :/ (That is, really young users posting sub-par levels they made without fully understanding the editor.)

...only "a few times".  ;)

Offline Adam C

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 18:19:40 »
But how are the creators of levels meant to receive feedback, and what will happen to all the levels hosted off-site that could only be found by the links in the old forum?

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 18:32:23 »
Another thing they should add is the ability to comment on a game and put a preview screen up, 'cause I hate downloading a level when I don't know what it's going to be like. Oh, and something to add to the comments, there could be a "type of comment" thing, like "Bug" to noify he person of a bug, "Suggestion" to post an idea that would make the level better, "Genreal Comment" to just say good job or something, "Other" for something that doesn't fit any of the categories, or "Mod" for any important things. Also, you should be able to view all of your Bug comments on one level, or all of your Suggestion comments, etc. It would really make things easier. :)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

4a

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 19:00:11 »
Another thing they should add is the ability to comment on a game and put a preview screen up, 'cause I hate downloading a level when I don't know what it's going to be like. Oh, and something to add to the comments, there could be a "type of comment" thing, like "Bug" to noify he person of a bug, "Suggestion" to post an idea that would make the level better, "Genreal Comment" to just say good job or something, "Other" for something that doesn't fit any of the categories, or "Mod" for any important things. Also, you should be able to view all of your Bug comments on one level, or all of your Suggestion comments, etc. It would really make things easier. :)

I say it should just have all the same options you would have for commenting as you would on the forum.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 20:35:26 »
Yet again, I'd like to point out the following:

Please keep suggestions to yourself, because I most likelly will have them on my to-do list anyway.

I don't want to say that you cannot suggest things, but people are suggesting things that I have on my list already. Remember that Nifflas kinda threw away Knytt Experiment because too many suggestions were made? I'm getting to that same feeling. Let me first make what I want to make, then I can add/change the system with suggestions that are usefull enough (if there are any, cus the system will most likelly already have it.)

As I'm getting a bit tired of this, I'm locking this topic. A new topic can be made (if necessary) after the new KnyttLevels is accessable.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 20:37:08 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex