Invisible Walls

• 5 Replies
Invisible Walls
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:20:10 »
So I've found the invisible wall..."objects"?...in the banks. But none of them fit what I need to make a level work the way I want it to. Is there an invisible wall that is aligned to the right or left like the red kill zones that reside in the same bank? And if not, is there a way to make them?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Invisible Walls
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:50:33 »
Everything on layer 3 is solid. If you make a tile that is nearly invisible (using alpha transparancy) you can draw how you want to block something.

Note that using an invisible wall to block the player from going into an area (because its the end of the world) is not a good idea, because its weird if you just hit an invisible wall.

You can make walls with unclimable obstacles (eg. a roof that prevents you from getting out) to give a clear indication of: end of world. Also you can use the warp object, to transport the player to another location (for example, the other side of the map) when they exit that screen. Its also possible to make a loop from the leftside of the screen to the rightside, so you get an infinite corridor, but if you exit it to the right, you get to the adjacent screen.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 15:17:13 »
I actually need the "slim wall" for a rope-like tile that came with the level editor that the player is supposed to climb. There's no trouble on one side, but the other seems to have a pixel out of place or something.

Also, I have no idea what alpha transparency is or what kinds of programs can draw using it. I use MSPaint for any and all image files I intend to use, but I have access to Paint Shop Pro if you think that might have the tools to make a semi-invisible tile.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 17:29:35 »
Paintshop Pro has it, MS Paint doesn't.

I believe paintshop pro 10 and higher can save semi-transparent png files, but I'm not entirely sure if earlier versions can't.

What you want to do, is put the rope on layer 2, and draw a black line on layer 3 at the place where the rope is and put both tiles ontop of each other. You don't need alpha transparancy for something obvious to climb on. You can even edit the rope texture and make sure that you have a vertical line to climb on, and you can just put the rope on layer 3 with nothing else.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 18:00:45 »
In this particular instance a black border wont do. Eddie's using the Neptune tileset against a black background. The "rope" has a glow and some nearly invisible rogue pixels.

I haven't used Paint Shop Pro since version 5, so I can't help there. Instead, I whipped this up for you in GIMP (See attachment.) Open your level's folder. Add a folder "Tilesets" to it. Save the image below to that folder. As LPChip says, put your rope on layer 2. Set the image below to tileset B. Then, put the empty looking tile on top of the rope on layer 3.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 13:55:08 »
Thanks ego.

As for what version of Paint Shop Pro it is I have, I never paid attention. I had it on my old computer, but never really used it that much so I didn't bother loading it onto my new computer. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was anywhere from 8 to 10 (I don't feel like digging it out right now to actually check).

{edit} I decided to pull Paint Shop Pro out today (December 20th, if edits don't show when they were made). It's version 9.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:25:57 by EddieDeanofIgnorance »