Missing textures in the Linux version

• 13 Replies

Offline storma

• View Profile
Missing textures in the Linux version
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:49:38 »
There are some entities in the Linux version that are missing textures. They are there but invisible.

I've noticed it in "Old Ruins" and "Ranna Caverns" stages.

Otherwise I'm enjoying this game. :)

Cheers.

Offline simon

• View Profile
Re: Missing textures in the Linux version
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:41:11 »
Thank you for your bug report. From what I know, this has already been fixed, but the new build isn't available from the site yet.
For now, you can probably fix it by renaming the following files:
HDWorld/Old Ruins/Physical/RockChair.png -> HDWorld/Old Ruins/Physical/Rockchair.png
World/Old Ruins/Physical/RockChair.png -> World/Old Ruins/Physical/Rockchair.png
HDWorld/Ranna Caverns/Physical/6x48Domino.png -> HDWorld/Ranna Caverns/Physical/6x48domino.png
World/Ranna Caverns/Physical/6x48Domino.png -> World/Ranna Caverns/Physical/6x48domino.png
World/Data/Ambiance/Wind In Trees.ogg -> World/Data/Ambiance/Wind in Trees.ogg
World/Data/Ambiance/Grass and Water.ogg -> World/Data/Ambiance/Grass And Water.ogg

Edit by LPChip: I had to look really close to see what the changes are, so I edited the post and made them bold. :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 15:00:06 by LPChip »

Offline storma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 15:42:20 »
Thank you for that but there seems to be a few more in old ruins. The place where you have the 3 chains and the flattened V cups on the end of the chains. The first two are missing while the 3rd is there.

Ta.

EDIT: I appreciated your work for this lovely game, I've been stung in the past by Capitalisation. ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 15:44:29 by storma »

Offline simon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 18:49:10 »
Thank you for that but there seems to be a few more in old ruins. The place where you have the 3 chains and the flattened V cups on the end of the chains. The first two are missing while the 3rd is there.
Thank you for that. That means I haven't found everything yet. I have already written some tools to find errors like that, but it seems they are not perfect.
Can you tell me exactly where this bug is? Is this in the Normal or in the Alternative levels? And which of the 13 levels is it?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 19:06:49 by simon »

Offline storma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 22:25:46 »
It'll be level 9 if I've counted right.

EDIT: Ignore that, I did rename instead of copying. ;)

Those first two rockchairs need to have the capitalisation. "RockChair.png".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 22:33:09 by storma »

Offline simon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 22:35:36 »
Oh, ok. I know what the error is.
It seems that some levels refer to Rockchair.png, while some others refer to RockChair.png. I already fixed those bad references for the next version. Until then, you could just duplicate the file (keep a Rockchair.png and a RockChair.png in the same folder), which should fix things for you.
Thank you very much for being so patient and making a bug report about this.

Offline spynae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 20:15:44 »
I'm having this trouble rather badly. To the point where it's unplayable, in 8th screen thing of Giant Leaf.  In a previous stage, the ball's texture was replaced by that of a leaf.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 20:33:59 by spynae »

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 23:41:46 »
I read the announcement on the front page:

2011-12-21

If you're having problems with NightSky from the Humble Indie Bundle, log in to the download page and get a new version. There's an update that should fix everything. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Even on the latest version from my Humble Indie Bundle account (December 21st, 2011, nightskyhd-linux-1324519044.tar.gz) I am bumping into missing textures as early as the Harara Mountains and Skyming levels. It would take me too long to rename and copy every file, one by one, to include a lowercase and uppercase name.

Is there a fixed version to be expected soon? Not only does it make some parts unplayable, but it also tarnishes such lovely scenery! I think this is a reminder why it's best to stick with all lowercase filenames and no special characters or spaces. In other places (menus, shortcuts, strings) then it's a different story. But when it comes to filenames, it's best to just stick with lowercase names that do not include special characters or spaces.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 00:58:47 by flansuse »

Offline simon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 13:16:03 »
I'm having this trouble rather badly. To the point where it's unplayable, in 8th screen thing of Giant Leaf.  In a previous stage, the ball's texture was replaced by that of a leaf.
Even on the latest version from my Humble Indie Bundle account (December 21st, 2011, nightskyhd-linux-1324519044.tar.gz) I am bumping into missing textures as early as the Harara Mountains and Skyming levels. It would take me too long to rename and copy every file, one by one, to include a lowercase and uppercase name.
For me, this seems like a different issue, that has nothing to do with lower/uppercase file names. As of the latest HiB version, all of those should have been fixed.
Please give more details. Are you playing 32 or 64-bit? Are you playing the "Normal" or "Alternative" level set?
I can only make a fixed version as soon as I'm able to reproduce your problems, so please help me out here.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 21:14:05 »
For me, this seems like a different issue, that has nothing to do with lower/uppercase file names. As of the latest HiB version, all of those should have been fixed.
Please give more details. Are you playing 32 or 64-bit? Are you playing the "Normal" or "Alternative" level set?
I can only make a fixed version as soon as I'm able to reproduce your problems, so please help me out here.

I am on 32bit, Linux Mint 9 (based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS).

There are numerous examples of missing textures, but I will point you to a level so you can check if the problem occurs with you as well:

Alternative Mode, Skyming, Level 5
Release: December 21st, 2011, nightskyhd-linux-1324519044.tar.gz

I have included a screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 21:37:04 by flansuse »

Offline simon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 17:53:48 »
I am on 32bit, Linux Mint 9 (based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS).

There are numerous examples of missing textures, but I will point you to a level so you can check if the problem occurs with you as well:

Alternative Mode, Skyming, Level 5
Release: December 21st, 2011, nightskyhd-linux-1324519044.tar.gz

I have included a screenshot.

Here's the same scene for me (no problems).

My best guess is that your graphics hardware/driver has problems with some of the large HD textures. To confirm this, try deleting/moving Shifter0.png through Shifter9.png from your HDImages folder and see if this fixes the problem in Skymning Level 5 for you.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 14:46:58 »
My best guess is that your graphics hardware/driver has problems with some of the large HD textures. To confirm this, try deleting/moving Shifter0.png through Shifter9.png from your HDImages folder and see if this fixes the problem in Skymning Level 5 for you.

I did the steps you described above and it fixed the problem of the white blocks. Instead of the high-resolution Shifters, I now see low-resolution, fuzzy ones. It's better than nothing, and I'll take it! Thank you for the advice.

I can easily open the HDImages in my image viewer, so I'm not sure why my video card would have a problem loading them in the game.

Offline simon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 21:06:53 »
I can easily open the HDImages in my image viewer, so I'm not sure why my video card would have a problem loading them in the game.
It's the way OpenGL, or hardware acceleration in general works. Whoever made the engine for NightSkyHD didn't account for the fact that some video cards cannot load images larger than 2048x2048 as textures. In some cases it's also just the graphics driver's fault.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 21:11:44 by simon »

Offline je

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 01:21:34 »
It's the way OpenGL, or hardware acceleration in general works. Whoever made the engine for NightSkyHD didn't account for the fact that some video cards cannot load images larger than 2048x2048 as textures. In some cases it's also just the graphics driver's fault.
Thanks, flansuse and simon for valuable information!

I've bought NightSky in Humble Bundle with Android 5 and met the same problem (white rectangles in some places) on Debian Sid and old notebook with ATI Radeon Xpress X1250.

So far, moving out (renaming) some HD textures returned images into Skyming level for me.

Here is a command I've used to find images to rename (those with width or height more than 2048 pixels):
Code: [Select]
identify -format '%f - %[fx:(w>2048)|(h>2048)]\n' NightSky/HDImages/* | awk '/- 1$/ {print $1}'
(identify command is installed with imagemagick package).

List of found files:
Code: [Select]
BigStraw3.png
BigStraw4.png
Fern4.png
LoopCreature.png
Shifter0.png
Shifter1.png
Shifter2.png
Shifter3.png
TriAnimAnimal1.png
TriAnimAnimal2.png