Stars not saving

• 6 Replies

Offline alecks

• View Profile
Stars not saving
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:36:47 »
When I collect the stars in a session, they show up as being collected in the level select as desired. When I restart the game, they (often) disappear. So far only one star has stayed, and it seems to be there consistently.

Playing on Windows 7 64 bit, Normal mode.

Also, sometimes the game bugs out when selecting the final world - once selected once in a session, other worlds sometimes play the final world's starting slideshow. Also, it has crashed after selecting the final world before.

Offline y-bot

• View Profile
Re: Stars not saving
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:26:44 »
I have the same problem, except it's consistent and there's no way around it.

Offline querty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 17:07:53 »
and in the final stage doors are always locked and the counter is always set to 0

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 18:41:03 »
As this has been posted already and it can be read on the nifflas homesite, the HD version still has some serious bugs. These are one of them.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline y-bot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 04:04:21 »
This is a game-breaking bug. I feel like NightSky HD (and Mac NightSky) should not have been released with this kind of bug.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:51:06 »
This is a game-breaking bug. I feel like NightSky HD (and Mac NightSky) should not have been released with this kind of bug.

It was not upto Nifflas to not release it, or it wouldn't have been released. But we totally agree with you. For that reason Nifflas posted his "warnings" on the mainsite and on the forum.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 01:37:14 »
Well... dang. I also discovered this bug, making the final level impossible to access, at first I thought I hadn't done it right, until I noticed that a couple of the stars just weren't being remembered on restart. One one hand, I'm glad it's known about and will presumably be fixed at some point; on the other hand, I sort of assumed if I tried the beta and everything was working flawlessly right up until the last level, it would continue to work there, too. My mistake, I suppose.

I do have to say, other than the lack of working access to the final level, it is an extremely gorgeous, and generally bug-free game in HD. Though I also have to say, the sound that plays when you enter or exit the final zone from the main zone select page is kind of jarring, too - but I probably wouldn't have noticed that if I hadn't just entered and exited it a bunch of times in a row, trying to figure out what was going wrong. ;)

Anyway, I'm also amused by how easy it was to locate the save file responsible for keeping track of what I'd completed, so I just copied that to the not-HD's save file, and all good (other than I don't get to play it in HD. But oh well.) That also means I can tell you, it's definitely a problem with loading save file, not with saving it: my save file correctly says I've found all the stars.

edit: I just realized, given that they do share the same save file schema, obvious workaround, just copy the save file, use regular NightSky to get past the two levels that don't work in HD, then copy the save file back to HD, and you win!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:18:21 by neminem »