Small Translucency Request

• 6 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Small Translucency Request
« on: December 15, 2011, 14:09:21 »
I lack the software and know-how to make objects translucent (aka. semi-see-through) which I've so far worked around but now I'd really like to make a glowy CO to emphasise when they player has turned something on. Usually I can get away with it by placing the glow in the middle of an object so it illuminates itself, but in this case at last I have an object that will illuminate a bit of background too.

Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, I lack the ability to do this, and I use a graphics-editing program that would make at least some of you point and laugh at me.
So I'm attaching an object from the tileset 'The Temple' by Paul 'Ripen' Naumowicz. As you can see, it's basically a small, statue-like thingy with a gem(?) - normally pale blue but which I've coloured white for the CO I need - held in it.
I'd be very appreciative and might even remember to give credit if someone would be so infinitely kind as to make a CO of it where the gem gently glows (it was originally pale blue, but I've made it just off-white for the CO). It doesn't have to be overly bright but enough to be noticeable in a dark room (note the half-finished screen showing an example of context also attached).

I'd be happy with just a single frame CO, but if, out of artistic pride or whatever, you want to make the glow fluctuate a little bit, that'd be cool - especially if you could provide the code to go with it.  ;)

Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 14:16:14 by Talps »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: Small Translucency Request
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 15:22:58 »
Not sure if this is what you wanted, tell me what you think. If it is something like this, I'll make the CO.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 18:44:07 »
That is very very cool! :D If you'd make it, that'd be fantastic.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 19:23:31 »
Software: use Paint.net (free) or any paid painting program.

In paint.net, start with a transparant background, and paint pixels on it using a color with alpha channel. That'll make things semi-transparent.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 19:51:56 »
OK here is the CO. As for the code, I think all you need is the init animto= 29, everything else should be good by default (made it 24 by 24 and should already be centered correctly). Haven't tested it, so not sure if it is too fast ingame.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 20:07:44 »
Code: [Select]
[Custom Object 1]
Image=talps.png
Init AnimTo=29
Init AnimSpeed=200
I think that will do it.
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 03:23:15 »
In paint.net, start with a thingy far beyond your puny capabilities, and paint pixels on it using a color with jargon you don't understand, unlearned peasant. That'll make things semi-transparent.
Thanks for trying ;)
I have got paint.net installed but could never make head or tails of it; I suppose if I put in the effort I could get the hang of it but I'd be learning pretty much from the ground up and I don't think it'd be worth the time for the amount I'd use it. Thanks anyway.

Rai, thanks! If I forget to credit you when the level's done, kick me in the head.
Now I have no excuse not to get on with it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:27:22 by Talps »